Do you have air racing dreams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have air racing dreams?

I usually have 2 or 3 dreams a year that are specifically about the air races. Typically they come closer to September but can occur anytime with me. They are always very vivid (all my dreams are) and always center around two themes.

I am trying to get to Reno and arrive too late or realize I forgot something important (like shoes or pants) and spend the entire dream trying to get in to see the action and end up missing it.

Or

I am watching a race and something crazy happens. Like someone entering the course from the wrong side and flying against the pack, or a giant flock of birds flies through the pack, etc. These dreams always end in a large pile of twisted metal, but thankfully they always involve pilots walking away.

Last night I had a doozy.

As part of an attempt to broaden the exposure of air racing an exhibition race was going to be held in New York City featuring the triumphant return of Dago Red. The most interesting part of this race though was that it was going to be held indoors. I managed to make the trip to NYC and when I got to the venue I took my seat along the left wall of what was a giant indoor concert hall. I was happy to see that all the seats were full.

This was a place that you would expect to see an opera or similar type performance in, complete with balcony, curtained stage and house lights, only much, much bigger. The portion of the building where the stage and seating was had a roof, but the back portion of the building was open roofed. The Planes were to dive into the building over the heads of the crowd on the right, make a hard left turn at the stage area and then exit over the heads of the people on the left (Me).

Before long I heard the familiar growl of racing engines and low and behold there came Dago Red streaking into the building. I don’t know who was flying, but he made a perfect left bank through the stage area and flew right over my head (like 20 feet above me) I was dismayed to see that the right side gear door was partially open, but quickly turned to watch Czech mate and a couple other mustangs come through the building. It was breathtaking to see and hear this, and I can remember in my dream that I could smell the exhaust as they were passing over.

Before long, as these dreams always do, it got crazy. An unknown mustang decided that he was going to make the left turn that would normally (NORMAL????) happen behind us and outside of the building while still in the building, affectively cutting his lap in half. This resulted in a mid air prop strike on a portion of the wall and caused a chain reaction the ended up with all competitors basically crash landing in the concert hall.

The dream got a little hazy at that point but I remember I was dodging airplane parts as I was trying to escape the building. I finally made it out onto the street through what looked like a subway street level exit. I remember looking around at all the people and thinking "Do they have any idea what's happening down there?" I then set off to find someone I knew so I could tell them what I had just seen, and the dream faded away.

To Date I am pretty sure that was the most intense Reno dream I have had. Do any of you guys have Reno dreams? I would love to hear some of them. I think that part of the reason I have such vivid and intense air racing dreams stems from being a kid when we used to go out and watch from the backside of the course. Having them pass directly over head at top speed was an incredibly visceral experience that left quite a mark on my young mind.

Anyway I had to share; I try to explain these dreams to my wife, but having never attended the races she doesn't quite understand how profound they are.
    Last edited by flyingjibus; 04-29-2010, 08:45 AM.

Re: Do you have air racing dreams?

Didn't think I'd ever post it anywhere but ya, I had them too. Re-occurring and very real.

Usually I'm just finally getting to the gate at about the time the Unlimited Gold racers are coming down the Chute Sunday afternoon, and then (to make matters worse) I discover I forgot and left the camera at home 400+ miles away.

The other theme has me working at a job I can't leave just a mile or two from a real good race. I see a couple of brand new highly modified Unlimiteds fly over, that I've never even heard were being built up, let alone ready and racing.

Very frustrating dreams. I wake up glad it was just a dream, but really longing to go back and at least see what I can.

There must be more of us out there....???

Comment

I have a recurring dream that I'm at RENO in some setting or other and I've forgotten various photo items. Changes in the dream, but it's been lenses, chips, computer... you kname it but the recurring theme is I'm there, I'm not ready...

Odd that a lot of us seem to have this sort of dream... (forgetting stuff/not being ready)
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Maybe pass, on the Mushrooms with Dinner!

Comment

I've only ever had one actual dream about Air Race Weekend, but it was rather fiery and I have to believe it's bad karma to talk about it. Let's just say it wasn't pleasant.

My little brother, on the other hand, was really enamored by the aerobatics on his first trip to Reno for the races. He was still pretty young, maybe 13 or 14. He has always had very active dreams. Well, that night he dreamt he was flying aerobatics. He finally barrel rolled himself right out of bed!

Comment

I dream that I might become an air racer. Hopefully I'll be able to grab an F1 in a few years, get some skill and work my way up.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcraigarcher View Post
              I've only ever had one actual dream about Air Race Weekend, but it was rather fiery and I have to believe it's bad karma to talk about it. Let's just say it wasn't pleasant.
              Same here... though in my case I've had more than one. I'd rather just forget those dearms.
              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
              My Photos
              My Ride

Comment

yes..but all the pilots are hot naked...

...women!

Comment

hmmmm my dreams involve seeing a gold final with shockwave, American Spirit, the Pond Racer, Tsunami, Wildfire answering the bell with the bear and a couple of Super Stangs..
                  race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by BUD_XXX View Post
                    Maybe pass, on the Mushrooms with Dinner!

Comment

kiwi as long as your dreaming where is sani hut??
                      bob burns
                      ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                      "dont mess with texas"

Comment

SINCE YOU GUYS ARE ALL HAVING SOOO MUCH FUN, I MUST ADMIT...
                        MY ONLY DREAM SINCE I WAS FIVE, WAS RACING IN THE UNLIMITED
                        CLASS. NOW AT AGE 38, I'M STILL STRUGGLEING TO GET THERE. I
                        UNDERSTAND I WILL BE SIGNED UP FOR THIS YEARS ROOKIE SCHOOL,
                        (BIPLANE CLASS),BUT LIKE MANY OTHERS--- FINIANCES , RULES AND ECONOMY MAY PREVENT ME FROM THE FLYING PORTION.(THIS YEAR).
                        RARA WAS EVEN KIND ENOUGH TO PRINT, BACK IN THE 1987 AIR RACE PROGRAM, A SHORT STORY ABOUT MY FIRST RIDE IN A MUSTANG, AS A
                        KID, IRONICALLY CALLED "DREAMS DO COME TRUE".
                        DON'T STOP FIGHTING. DON'T STOP STUDYING. AND WHATEVER YOU DO
                        DON'T STOP DREAMING.
                        AT LEAST, WHEN IT COMES TO DREAMS, I ALWAYS WIN THE GOLD.
                        -GHOSTRIDER

Comment

I have about 10-15 a year and most are very pleasant and ordinary.
                          Occasionally though there are some very unpleasant dreams.

Jarrod

Comment

Dreaming about unpleasent things is normal and healthy. It is the brains way of dealing with emotions and processing experiences and memories.

No one should feel guilty or ashamed of what there brain does when sleeping.

Nothing that happens in your dream state has any chance of affecting outcomes and situations other then the way you process it emotionally should something similar happen.

It is healthy to talk about these things. Dont be afraid.

My .02 cents

Comment

My dream was a nightmare, that sadly came true. In early 1994, I dreamed of a red airplane at Reno that lost part of it's wing and was involved in a mid air collision. When I saw the footage of the Twombly crash, a few months later, it was identical to what I dreamed about. When I watched Miss Ashley go in, it also had red paint on it and reminded me of that nightmare. I've often had strange experiences and coincidences happen and still do. I'm totally over being surprised by it and just chalk it up to coincidence, rather than some spacey, cosmic, psychic, New Age Coast to Coast AM radio show bs.
                              Last edited by John H; 05-19-2010, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X