Lyle Shelton - Pylon 9 lap 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyle Shelton - Pylon 9 lap 8

Lyle is going around the last pylon on his lap in life. He is very sick and the doctors have told us he will not survive the next few days. Lyle was moved today to a facility that will keep him out of pains way as he lives out the final part of the lap. The family has followed Lyle’s wishes and requests to preserve his dignity so no visitors have been allowed other than immediate family. In the last couple of days he has become more relaxed but really has not been able to respond to stimuli with any reliability since Monday. The family will try to update this message as things develop. Thank you to everybody for your prayers and best wishes.

A saddle on a motor
    burning dynamite for gas
    with as little lifting surface
    as will hike it off the grass.
    4,000 leaping horses
    With a feather for a girth
    500 miles per hour
    50 feet above the earth
    The breed of man who rides her
    is an optimistic guy
    with magic in his fingers
    and a telescopic eye.

This was one of the Rare Bear Team of the past’s favorite descriptions of Lyle.
    John Slack

Re: Lyle Shelton - Pylon 9 lap 8

I don't know what to say but, I enjoyed working for him and he is one hell of a pilot. My thoughts are with you.
    JetWaste

Comment

That particular pilot has been heavily imprinted in my psyche! I WILL treasure the memory as long as my synapses continue to fire. He's on my heart!
      DHoT-P&Ms for an easy transition!
      Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Thanks, John, for letting us know about Lyle's condition and for posting the awesome poem about him. Very sad news to hear, but glad it came from you. PLEASE tell him his Alaska friends- Bucky & Linda send their love & prayers, and that I'm still savin' that BIG King Salmon fish w/his name on it for him (& always will as long as I'm still here- on the 'sunny side of the sod'). AND- that we send our thanks for his long friendship & shared special adventures up in here in 'The Last Frontier' & at all the air races over the years.

Sincerely-

Don 'Bucky' Dawson

Comment

Sorry John, thanks for letting us know, glad he's comfortable.... I actually ran across that poem earlier today thumbing through Dell's book. Sure does describe your dad very well!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Here's to a life less ordinary. We'll be thinking about him and his family.

$
            Attached Files
            Last edited by split-s; 04-08-2010, 01:25 AM. Reason: add pic
            "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
            Martin Caidin

Comment

Originally posted by split-s View Post
              Here's to a life less ordinary. We'll be thinking about him and his family.
              Well said! That Nurmi shot has to be one of the best Lyle Shelton photos ever taken!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

John & Family, I know we've been talking on the phone all week but I wanted to tell you here also how very sorry I am that we are losing Lyle. He's always treated me well and I know he truly enjoyed our air time together flipping him around in my Pitts. Just wanted you to know that we will plan the biggest and best aerial send off here at Van Nuys that we can put together.

Sad Solo ( Cloudchaser427 )

Comment

His life was full of wonder, surprises, joy and speed. He has got to be one of the most devoted pilots of Air Racing. His quirky smile, and his jolly laugh will be remembered the rest of my life. He was a man I admired for his talents and ambition. I believe he made Air Racing a better place, and set the stage for future racers to strive towards and conquer.

May his passing be peaceful, and the pylons in the sky be brilliant

Peace, Joy and love to him and the family.

Comment

Oh My. I will say a prayer for him and his loved ones. Lyle, we love ya man!

Comment

All i have to say is i hope "the Bear" always runs fast where he is going. Lyle is the reason why I love the sport, and i will miss him deeply.

Comment

Ughh.

Mr. Slack, Your dad means almost as much to all of us as he does to you.
                        His passing will leave a great big hole in the sky and all our hearts.
                        Dont know what else to say.

Lyle Shelton is, and will always be, a giant among men.

Blue Skies forever sir.

Comment

Its kind of wierd, Michael Parsons and I just finished this Wasabi postcard that features the bear, I mean I literally finalized with the print shop yesterday. They're are so few people that have given as much to this fantastic challenge (air racing). I guess maybe its wierd to be reminded that we're all human.

Tough stuff
                          Elliot
                          Attached Files

Comment

John my prayers are with you and your family. Lyle did so much for air racing over the years. I watched him many times put on quite a show between him & "Tiger", those were the days. Take care & thanks for posting.
                            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Thank you for letting us all know, we will keep you and your family in our thoughts.

Bill & Kathleen Rogers
                              Kathleen

Comment

Working...
                              X