Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT question for randy haskin

randy,
    I was watching one of those how do they do that shows and they were doing a segment on air to air refueling. they said that the F-15 could only fly as slow as 335 mph. Is the air to air speed really that fast? that seems fast even for a fighter.

thanks
    bob burns
    ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
    "dont mess with texas"

Re: OT question for randy haskin

A-A Refueling is done at about 320 knots, but that is a typical speed for all "pointy-nose" fighters on the tanker.

The jet has an FAA speed waiver below 10K for 300 knots, as the flight manual calls 300 the minimum safe operational airspeed (that's probably where the "335 MPH" comes from).

Of course the airplane *can* fly slower than that -- gear speed is 250, and approach speeds are in the 170 knot range depending on fuel and stores weight -- but it is not very maneuverable down there. It's like saying that you can fly a C-172 around at 60 knots...but it's not very safe to fly there, because any significant demand out of the airplane will cause it to lose altitude or stall.

When I am flying instruments, I typically maintain 300 until on the radar base leg, then I'll slow to 250. Once turning to final, I'll slow below 250 to drop the gear and be configured and on-speed by the final approach fix.
    Last edited by Randy Haskin; 03-27-2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

thanks randy, that is amazing that you do that at that kind of speed. granted when you are both doing that speed the differential is the same as if you were both doing 100, but the precision flying that is required still amazes me.
      bob burns
      ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
      "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Refueling was one of the hardest things for me to learn. I can't really explain why, but it was more difficult for me than just plain formation flying (even though it shouldn't be).

It wasn't until I deployed to the Arabian Gulf, and had to refuel several times a day, every day, that I really got comfortable being that close to another LARGE airplane.

The speed is really a non-issue, as you mention, because both aircraft are doing the same speed.

Comment

Working...
        X