Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Warbirds Over Wanaka 10 preview Pt 2

Hi all,

sorry for the OT post, but today Warbirds Over Wanaka airshow organisers confirmed the Royal Australian Air Force will be displaying 4 F/A18 hornets at this years show.. the 4 hornets will provide 2 display slots on all show days with a solo show, and a 4 ship routine.. this will be the first time these fighters have been displayed at warbirds and will be a unique sight amongst the mountains surrounding the show site.
    Also a preview of the Warbird flying, there will the the NZ warbids Jet team, flying 2x DeHavilland Vampire trainers, and 2 L-39 in a 4 ship display of precision flying, the SoCal wing of the CAF and their A6M zero will fight it out with the NZ warbirds PBY & P-40 in a pacific Theatre re-enactment.
    And of course there will be the final mock battle with upto 12 T-6's 9 Yak 52's and upto 9 fighters airborne together in a finale loaded with pyro's..

OH YEAH.... 3 weeks to go!!!!
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Re: OT: Warbirds Over Wanaka 10 preview Pt 2

Nothing off topic about this! I've long wanted to make a trip to see that show. I've seen pictures from earlier Wanaka shows and thought they looked like great shows in a great place...

Neal

Comment

Neal, its an awesome show... i havent missed one yet.. i was at the first in 1988 as a 7yr old... and the show gets better all the time, I have also been extremely lucky to spend several shows as a ramp rat helping out on the flightline, ive had the pleasure of meeting the late Ray & Mark Hanna from the U.K. Jurgis Karyis and Dave Morss when the was the pilot of the CAF Wildcat here in 2002.
      If you ever get the chance, make the trip it is totally worth it.
      The other show that is gaining a great reputation is the Classic Fighters show that is held every other easter to Wanaka... it is a complete theatre show with Peter Jackson's Weta workshops involved in building many props for use.. they have built a Mk IV ww1 tank, and the WW1 airplane collection is amazing, there can be upto 15 WW1 airplanes in the air at one time...

Comment

I was lucky enough to fly a Pitts Special at Wanaka while the War Birds were practicing for their Easter show. It was one of the highlights of my life with such a marvelous back drop of the NZ Alps and an amazing selection of aircraft in the air.

New Zealand is an amazing country and I highly recommend a visit to everyone.

I also recommend landing in a helicopter high up above the clouds near the Franz Joseph Glacier. The pilot was flying almost within the cravacises on the way down.

I have decided that when I get married , I will hold the ceremony near the top of one of these mountains.

Comment

It is such a magic setting for an airshow, most definately one of the most unique in the world... and with the way the land falls away from the end of one runway and the river valley on the far side of the airfield from show center, it leads to some interesting displays.
          Im sure if Dave Morss is lurking here somewhere hopefully he could recount his wanaka adventure with the wildcat...

Comment

Working...
          X