Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images being used without permission

See this thread here,

I'm posting it here so it gets seen. One of my shots is in the file, a bunch of Wayne's, Paintboys, Victor's, and so on.

Re: Images being used without permission

im no lawyer, but having looked at the posts.. even i know that sites like Airliners etc still have to have the photographers consent to post the pics hence the postings with a copyright and the photographers name attached... but i for one love the bearcat, but i havent and wont download something that knowingly contains others copyrighted material
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I just had to have another website remove one of my images, some jerk in France removed my copyright and posted it on some airliner site trying to claim he took it...

Right now I'm out of work and renewal for my Pbase galleries is up soon may be it's time to just let it go away. Almost 3 million hits and visitors from over 150 countries, it's been a lot of work, a lot of time and money invested, worth it? I don't know any more
      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Now that would be a real shame, Victor. Those galleries are a real inspiration to me, if not to others. How expensive is it to just maintain them as they are?

Good luck finding work this year -- tough times out there for many folks...

Neal

Comment

victor yes your pictures are worth it. i use them for model reference to see if have parts made up right. but i all ways know who toke them so i say keep your site up. it would be a huge loss if your site was gone since war bird aero press photo gallery is dead. and i would like to meat you this year at reno any way so say keep it up.

Comment

This is why I don't post my pictures from my glory days at Chino. First flights, airshows, restorations, etc. Once they are on the net, they are gone for good.
            Last edited by John H; 03-02-2010, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Victor im going to jump on the bandwagon and say the same as others, your work is an inspiration to me as well, i love looking at your galleries and not just the aviation galleries either... they give me something to aim for as a photographer.. if there is some way to keep your wonderful galleries up please do..
              race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I also am on the bandwagon of not taking your stuff down Victor, it has really helped me learn and continue to learn. It is also just enjoyable to look at

Comment

Well.... I don't really know I'm going against the grain here - but when I see someone has borrowed one of my photos (not so much now, but in past - quite often). I assertain the intended use (trying to pass it off as a their property), then determine if it's within fair use guidelines (not neccessarily the letter of the law, but within the spirit of the law). More often then not, I just let it slide. The time's I do intervien I usually just ask that credit be given - and in rare cases - even give them a better quality photo if I have one. There is a lot of stuff I did on the net, and some of it is still being used without source credit - even after being nicly asked to do so. It happens... life goes on.

Posting pics & doing graphics for me is fun - it makes me grin to see how others enjoy it. I often "relive the moment", and then some, as I share it with friends. We all have a great time, and that's the way it's suppose to be. I'm just not going to allow the actions of some ruin MY fun sharing my passion with others. In the big picture of things - who really is the one that looses out when we allow other's actions to change the way we live, or who we are?

Just my $.02

Victor: People like that are jerks. I do understand the frustration of it all, people can get really under your skin when they say/do the wrong things - especially when it comes to your creative works. It's just sad to see when it happens to people like yourself. Whatever you do decide to do, I hope it brings ya to a happier place my friend.
                  Mark K....

Comment

Beyond whether or not people are breaking copyright laws, we're losing the distinction between professional and amateur photography. I had a Reno pilot spot his plane in my Pbase gallery and asked if he could buy a copy. Being an amateur, I just gave it to him. That probably does as much or more harm to the pros as having a small version of a pro's photo copied and posted elsewhere on the web.

The problem is, equipment and software today can bring us amateurs close enough to the level of pros to where much of the public can't tell the difference. The recent liberal press pass policy at a place like Reno also makes life more difficult for working pros. I'm not trying to call anyone out, it's just the facts of the situation.

The genie is out of the bottle. If you post your photos on the web, expect them to get stolen. Even though I don't shoot for money, it still bothers me when people steal my photos. In my case, I often see my gun and camera photos show up on discussion boards. I hate to do it, but I've recently started embossing a copyright notice over these photos. If you want to post images on the web, and want to be real sure you at least get attribution when they're stolen, overlap your copyright with elements of the image. It may not be pretty, but short of never posting again, it's better than nothing.
                    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

So how cool would it be for someone to help pay for his Pbase website?
                      Randy Rheinschild
                      www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Each year I have prints of my favorite photo's signed by pilots and crews. I make it a point to use only those I have taken myself. Sometimes it makes it hard as I strive to get just the perfect shot, but it is part of the fun. I download many of the pictures here and on other sites to use as wallpapers, screen savers and for research. I would never consider using someone else's work for profit, or claiming it for my own. Scum!
                        Years ago I sent several drawings out, both solicited and un-solicited, to publishers. I was surprised to find a few published, with no credit and no payment. I definately sympathize with you guys! Luckily none of my photo's are good enough for pirating...
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I hope this isn't off topic but you guys made me curious. When you shoot the races or say a pilot on the ramp. Do you need to get a release or at least his permission to use / sell it?

I shoot purely for fun and rarely post any pics. I think my pics are fairly good but put them up against you all and they suck!

I agree with Mark in that you all need to protect your work but don't let it sour your love of photography. You all provide us noobs with inspiration, while allowing people who can't make these airshows the chance to enjoy them through your lens.
                          Tony

Comment

[QUOTE=deepsky;78189]I hope this isn't off topic but you guys made me curious. When you shoot the races or say a pilot on the ramp. Do you need to get a release or at least his permission to use / sell it?

No you don't.

You have permission from the sanctioning body to be there to take the photo(s). Any photo taken of the grounds, planes, pilots, or support crews can be used by the photog as they see fit.

Comment

[QUOTE=wolfee;78195]
                              Originally posted by deepsky View Post
                              You have permission from the sanctioning body to be there to take the photo(s). Any photo taken of the grounds, planes, pilots, or support crews can be used by the photog as they see fit.
                              Not true if you have media credentials...
                              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Working...
                              X