Shuttle Launch Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttle Launch Questions

Thought I would ask some of you guys...NASA...Florida guys... About viewing a launch at Cape Canaveral. The Shuttle program is ending and I would LOVE to actually see a launch IN PERSON. Iam looking into renting a condo near the Cape and I don't really know what to expect...So any insight/information would be very helpful. Just how CLOSE can the public view a launch? Thanks in Advance.

Re: Shuttle Launch Questions

I'm from BC, not Florida, but we attempted this last year. You can buy tickets to be right at Kennedy at a special viewing area, but there are lots of free areas too.
    If you sign up for their emails they'll tell you when tickets are going on sale. The tickets sell out immediately!!
    Visit NASA's launch complex, the astronaut hall of fame, or see a rocket launch all just an hour from Orlando at Kennedy Space Center.

We flew out to see it twice last year, and they kept delaying the launch. It was brutal being out there waiting only to have them cancel a few hours before the launch. We did that a few times. I can now say I've flown to Florida for dinner!!

The March 1 launch tickets went on sale last week. I hope we can try again, but so far dh is still swearing at it every time he sees anything shuttle related on tv.

Kennedy is awesome, and you need to go on another day besides launch day, as some things are closed on the day of the launch. It's such a cool place you should take the time to see everything.
    Last edited by dineega; 02-16-2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Follow this link: http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches/index.asp

That NASA page contains some of the shuttle-viewing info you seek. Tickets go on sale 4-6 weeks before a flight.

NOTE THAT the next launch, STS-131 is already booked full.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 02-16-2010, 10:22 PM.

Comment

even though the official areas may be sold out you get a good view from anywhere around the cape. I can even see it go up here in ft myers on a clear day and have seen a couple in miami. the best one i have seen though was at 370 over tlh with a cloud layer below us. the clouds all turned bright orange and then we saw the orbiter bust through and climb on up. it quite a sight.
        bob burns
        ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
        "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Been to a launch thru KSC ticketing. Great time! Also, found this site to be very helpful:

Ben Cooper rocket launch photography & viewing guide. See SpaceX photos, ULA photos, NASA photos and find out the best places to watch launches in person at Cape Canaveral, Florida.

HIGHLY recommend taking the semi-private tour of the facility thru KSC. Hands on some very cool stuff...Redstone launch pad (Alan Shephard in Freedom 7), Von Braun hangar, Launch Pad 34A (Apollo 1...be prepared to shed a tear or twelve!), flume shute for 39A or B (although they are likely now restricted), not to mention numerous other locations like the "man-cave" used by astronauts two days prior to launch (walls lined with champagne bottles and Lord knows what else went on there) and travelling long, straight stretches of two-lane roads all over the cape where you can just imagine the Mercury 7 and Gemini guys roaring around in their Corvettes! It's truly a "Bucket List" experience!
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

In 1990 I was stationed at Patrick AFB for the summer. There was supposed to be a night launch, but it kept getting delayed. I was dying to see it. About a week after I left they finally launched it. I was so disappointed. I have thought about taking the family to Disney World around the time of a launch, but it looks like they will quit launching them before I have a chance to hatch that plan.

Comment

Double-cursed were we the day we lost Challenger.

Not only did we lose a shuttle and seven dedicated and wonderful people, but on a lesser note we also saw the death of any chances of seeing the Space Shuttle launch from the west coast at Vandenberg AFB only 8 months later.

We were SO close...

Comment

Here's another vote for viewing from the Patrick AFB / Cocoa Beach area.

Comment

Working...
                X