* BOB LOVE * -Air Racing's 'Ace of Hearts'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• * BOB LOVE * -Air Racing's 'Ace of Hearts'

Today's Valentine's Day-a good day to fondly-remember the late & great- Capt. Robert J. 'Bob' Love - one of the USA's great air combat heroes (6-Victory Korean War Jet Ace) & an air racing legend.

"BLUE SKIES FOREVER"- Capt. Love!!!

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 02-14-2010, 07:56 PM.

here is a copy of Bob's sliver star citation

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Captain Robert J. Love, United States Air Force, for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United Nations as a Pilot, 335th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 4th Fighter-Interceptor Group, FIFTH Air Force, on 21 April 1952. While leading a flight of F-86s protecting fighter-bombers, Captain Love sighted a battle, and, singling out an enemy element, initiated an attack. Intercepted by four enemy fighters before his element could complete the attack, Captain Love split the flight and attacked its leader. Despite numerically superior opposition, Captain Love maneuvered into position, scoring hits on the MIG which caused the pilot to eject himself. Captain Love then broke from the remaining MIG to aid his wingman who was being fired upon as he pressed an attack. Intercepting the enemy's threat, Captain Love closed to within two hundred yards, holding his fire to conserve his limited ammunition. Captain Love's skillful attack resulted in destruction of another enemy aircraft, and provided protection while his wingman completed destruction of the MIG he had engaged. Through his extraordinary valor and outstanding airmanship in the face of determined opposition, Captain Love reflected great credit upon himself, the Far East Air Forces, and the United States Air Force.
    Service: Air Force

Comment

Re: * BOB LOVE * -Air Racing's 'Ace of Hearts'

Hey JET1-

Thanks v. much f/appropriately-posting Bob Love's Silver Star Medal Award citation text onto this tribute thread. That gives some real perspective for site goers- well-defining Bob's fighter pilot prowess & accomplishments on behalf of our great country.

Here's a shot of a North American F-86 Sabre Jet in all its' glory- Planes of Fame's F-86F (NX186AM), -painted in Korean War 4th FIW/334th FS markings, getting ready to depart Reno/Stead Field on Monday after the 2007 NCAR. Then, a classic arch-rival flypast portrait of- 'Sabre vs. Mig', fm Chino '09 POF Airshow.

Bob Love's 335th FS Sabre wore his unit's Indian Chief unit logo on the nose (-as also worn on his white P-51D 'Bernie's Bo', pictured above, & the restored F-86 he also flew). Aviation artist- Ron Darcey, of Castro Valley, CA. did a great combat art painting depicting Love's 3rd Mig victory, that is still available as a ltd. edition art litho print.

DBD
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BuckyD; 02-16-2010, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Part of the reason why the Chiefs, to this day, are still the "World's Leading MiG Killers".

BTW, Bucky, by the time the 4th went to Korea, the 334th FS had adopted the "Boxing Chicken" as the squadron logo. So that's (painted as) a 334th jet in the photo.

The 4th FIG used the "Lion" logo:

Last edited by Randy Haskin; 02-16-2010, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Hi Randy-

Thanks alot f/the photo ID clarification & additional historical notes (text edited accordingly). Always appreciate your insights & comments.

Actually, I did note the 334th FS unit emblem correlation while perusing one of my quick online refs. - the F-86 color aircraft profiles on P. 45 (Fig. 31) of author Warren Thompson's book- "F-86 Sabre Aces of the 4th Fighter Wing (Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #72 - 2006 Osprey Pub.). Just failed to note it in my hastily-drafted caption.

For interested av/history neophytes- The "Boxing Chicken" emblem's origin hails back to WW2-ETO roots w/the 8th USAAF's 4th Fighter Group (334th FS/335th FS/336th FS), -created to absorb the famous American rostered-RAF Eagle Squadrons (No.71/No.121/No.133). The 335th FS's Indian Chief emblem (later adorning the unit's F-86s in Korea during Bob Love's combat tour), originated as ES No.121's unit crest insignia.

Link f/more in-depth info: www.fourthfightergroup.com/

DBD

Comment

Thanks Bucky. Now I know from the photos of the 4th Fighter Group how "Ridge Runner & "Sizzlin Lizz" looked like & who flew them back then.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Of note is that the 4th units (all F-15E squadrons now) still wear those RAF Eagle Squadron crests as their "friday" patches. There's still a very strong sense of their heritage in those squadrons.

334th

335th

336th

Comment

A Bob Love thread should probably include photos of Oogahonk, Jack Hovey's Mustang, and Chuck Lyford's # 8 in 1964. Did Bob race anything else? Inquiring minds also want to know the details of Bob's adventures "down south."
                I remember hanging out at Stead all week when Bob was there for the first time with the Oogahonk Special and the gray and white Cavalier. As a young kid, I was in awe of the man. Must have been '74 or '75.

Comment

one year at the Alameda show he flew his mustang in a demo race then he put his aerobatic routine on and then flew the mustang back to Oakland then came back to Alameda to pic up the Tiger cat. Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by tele1 View Post
                    A Bob Love thread should probably include photos of Oogahonk, Jack Hovey's Mustang, and Chuck Lyford's # 8 in 1964. Did Bob race anything else? Inquiring minds also want to know the details of Bob's adventures "down south."
                    I remember hanging out at Stead all week when Bob was there for the first time with the Oogahonk Special and the gray and white Cavalier. As a young kid, I was in awe of the man. Must have been '74 or '75.
                    Hi tele1-

'ABSOLUTELY right there!' I'd bet you have some special recollections of Bob Love (a.k.a.- 'The Silver Fox' in his later years), which you might care to share w/us? ANY photos, anecdotes, recollections, etc. which site goers might contribute to this Bob Love tribute thread are invited & encouraged! I know Sledge39, Wingman & many others have some wonderful archive photos of Bob Love & airplanes he's flown. This is a perfect opportunity to 'show & tell' & at the same time honor this great pilot gentleman. Bring 'em on!!!

For ref., the Unlimiteds (-all P-51s) raced by Bob Love were:

#2- 'Hovey Mustang' (N3580): Reno '78, Mojave '78, Reno '79-'80-'81-'82-'83-'84-'85 & '86

#6- (N576GF, -later became- 'Oogahonk Spcl'): Mojave '70 Cal 1000 & San Diego '71 U.S. Cup 1000

#8- 'Bardahl Special' (N2869D): Reno '64 (Won final/2nd-pl in points)

#9- 'J. B.' (N576GF, later became- 'Oogahonk Spcl'): Mojave '71 Cal 1000

#96- 'Grey Fox' (N3451D, Cavalier 51): Reno '73, Mojave '75 & Reno '76

#97- 'Oogahonk Special' (N576GF): Reno '73-'74-'75 & '76

His personal overall-white Mustang mount- N151BL, was the former racer #97- Oogahonk Special. Bob had it restored & repainted in 1980 w/a dual-paint scheme: The L/H side was finished as- 'Bernie's Bo' w/call letters- 'R-J-L' (f/Robert J. Love) & the R/H side was painted-up as- 'Jolley Roger' w/call letters- 'C-D-L' (f/Clifford Dale Jolley, to honor his great friend fm his ANG & USAF days. Capt. Jolley was a 335th FS squadron mate & 7-Vic. Sabre Ace himself, & name- 'Jolley Roger' & pirate flag emblem art adorned Jolley's F-86s & flight helmets)

The 'Hovey Mustang'- N3580, was & still is owned & flown by Bob Love's dear friend- noted Merlin engine rebuilder Jack Hovey. It was painted overall black w/red spinner, silver rudder & yellow Race #2 when Love first raced this Mustang, until 1980, -when it was refinished in its' RAF desert camo color scheme (which it still wears). The- 'H-M-P' call letters stand for Jack's business- 'Hovey Machine Products'.

Some snapshots of both sides of N151BL & one of Race #2- N3580 in desert camo w/call letters...

DBD
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BuckyD; 02-20-2010, 08:47 PM. Reason: Spellin'-Punctuation-Corrections

Comment

...Here's my contribution to Bucky's outstanding thread...

...1964...the first Reno...Dwight Thorn, Chuck Lyford and Bob Love...

...Mojave '70...dueling with Cliff Cummins...

...Mojave '71...DNF due to what you see here...

...Mojave '73...the Oogahonk Special...

Comment

Hey Sledge39-

JUST OUTSTANDING!!!

These are indeed beautiful & priceless color period shots... Thanks so very much for kindly posting & sharing these f/this Bob Love tribute thread (& all previous contributions to the msg board).

Thanks, again, Sledge - You're- The BEST!!!

DBD

Comment

...thanks Bucky...know the story behind this ?

...June 1962 at Ontario, CA (ONT, before they put the K in front)

...these pix were given to me in 1973 by the late Clarence Whitehead...(photos by Clarence Whitehead)

Comment

WOW, Sledge!

'Negative' - I'm drawin' a blank on those two historic AT-6 B&Ws... but for some reason they look a bit familiar to me. Maybe, like I've seen these (or similar shots) before, - but a long time ago. Too many cobwebs in the old memory bank vault!

I know a few guys I could ask though (like my old Chino pal- Roy Mabee). 'Wavin' the white flag here'... What's the skinny, Sledge? Anyone else know?

No doubt, there're many fading chapters in Bob Love's extensive & colorful aviation career, that need to be brought back out into the light of day today, -so his great story can be passed-on to future generations. Like his Post-WW2 P-80 jet racing saga... (Historian/author- Kevin Grantham, wrote a great piece relating to this subject for July 2006 issue of EAA's WARBIRDS magazine, that's well-worth reading).

DBD
                            Last edited by BuckyD; 02-18-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

...never knew the story behind the pics...
                              apparently was some connection between Bob Love and Als Laundry

...info on that T-6, compiled from multiple sources...
                              doesn't quite cover the exact time of the pics (June 1962)

Model: T-6G

Serial #: 49-3384 Construction #: 168-498
                              Civil Registration: N2816G N6900G

- Registered as N2816G.

Albert Boughey, Upland, CA, ...1963--1966.

- Registered as N6900G.

- Reno 1968...LeRoy Penhall qualfied 15th in T-6 class in N6900G
                              ...did not race

Southern Calif. Sport Flying Club ...unk to 1974

Adrian S. Kale, Lemars, IA, ...Apr. 25, 1974 to unk

Gary A. Van Skike, Maurice, IA ...2007--2010

Comment

Working...
                              X