Smooth sailing Capt. Phill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth sailing Capt. Phill

Off topic for sure.... Captain Phill from America's Deadliest Catch passed away ....... Won't be the same without him..... He was just 53.....
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Smooth sailing Capt. Phill

He was one tough guy. He will be missed. Sorry for his family. Smooth Sailing Capt. Phil. Davey Jones will have his hands full. Very interesting and hard working man. He definitely knew what real work was. R.I.P.

Frank C.

Comment

Here, Here...The world is short one 'Ol Salt, that's for sure. Strong Winds and Rough Seas, Capt. Phil...you wouldn't want it any other way.

Here's a bizarre twist to the story. At the top of page A5 of the Seattle Times today is the bio/story about Capt. Phil. Right below it is a half-page ad for Fred Meyer selling...wait for it...Crab Legs! Swear to God. Think the 'ol Capt woulda liked that...
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I guess all of us are from the same mold. Things that go fast and/or are exciting. That was one of my favorite shows. Prayers & thoughts to all the family & friends of Capt. Phill
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Yep, a real man's man. I'm really going to miss him on the show. A lot of fishing knowledge went with him as well. I hope the boy's know were all thinking of them.

Comment

You could see this coming. He smoked like a chimney, didn't sleep, drank coffee or Red Bull constantly. Last season they kept doing shots of his feet and he was constantly tapping them because he was so stressed. Not to mention the human body just isn't meant to sit for long periods of time like they do in the wheel house. He should have quit after he threw that clot last season. I'm not saying he deserved it, just that I could see why it happened.

To me it's amazing that they live as long as they do. Watch the captains on the show and they are all over stressed, over worked, unrested, and wound up on caffene and nicotine. I'm amazed that the state hasn't come out with some kind of mandatory rest periods for these fishermen. make them get a minimum of 6 hours sleep a day and lenghten the season by a few days to compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
              I'm amazed that the state hasn't come out with some kind of mandatory rest periods for these fishermen. make them get a minimum of 6 hours sleep a day and lengthen the season by a few days to compensate.
              I'd bet Captain Phill would roll over in his grave reading something like that... (no offense, Please!!)

I don't think fishermen get into their "career" so they can figure out how to deal with regulation. I live in an area that, for the most part, is supported by its fisheries.. The fishermen I've met are an extremely independent lot. They don't fish for the money, they fish for the freedom.. that it pays their bills in the process is probably secondary for many.

We just lost a really young guy up here doing the dungie crabs.. simple thing, really, line (don't call it rope around fishermen) got caught around the prop, local young family guy gets caught in it and dragged over. Boatmates can do little.. Coasties and others find him hours later... there is a memorial and they keep fishing.

I watch'em nightly off my deck, foul weather, good weather.. they are out there ALL NIGHT long most nights of whatever season they are chasing.

Some of the boat owners live pretty high around here, some of the nicest houses belong to them, envy of their lifestyle is probably pretty non-exisant... they just have to work too damn hard for what they get!

Most of us never met Captain Phill, but we all knew a little bit of him, enough to feel profound loss at his passing. Hope his kids and the boat are able to survive and succeed! Nobody was as good at smelling crab farts as Phill!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
                You could see this coming. He smoked like a chimney, didn't sleep, drank coffee or Red Bull constantly. Last season they kept doing shots of his feet and he was constantly tapping them because he was so stressed. Not to mention the human body just isn't meant to sit for long periods of time like they do in the wheel house. He should have quit after he threw that clot last season. I'm not saying he deserved it, just that I could see why it happened.

To me it's amazing that they live as long as they do. Watch the captains on the show and they are all over stressed, over worked, unrested, and wound up on caffene and nicotine. I'm amazed that the state hasn't come out with some kind of mandatory rest periods for these fishermen. make them get a minimum of 6 hours sleep a day and lenghten the season by a few days to compensate.
                I don't think Chris was bad-mouthing the Captain. A friend of mine fishes out of the state of Washington and it is a tough gig. A lot of those captains do smoke, not enough sleep, use other chemical substances, etc. Not a real healthy life-style but they are good men and make those choices to do what they like. Costs a lot of cash to buy and maintain a fishing boat and pay the crew. They expect hard work from their crew and compensate them accordingly. I went out on one fishing cruise with my friend and it was hard work. I worked construction while going to school and bucked hay for some of my dairyman friends, and working the fishing boat was harder.

Frank C.

Comment

Not at all. Last season Capt. Phil himself said that his doctor warned him that if he had another episode out on the water he was as good as gone. At that point he made the decision go keep fishing. I guess it wasn't much different than any other trip to him. After you realize that ANY trip could be your last it was just one more thing that could get him in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                  X