AMAZING WWII WARBIRD PHOTOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMAZING WWII WARBIRD PHOTOS

I don't know if this site has ever been posted here before or not, but I've never seen it. Some very awesome pictures. Amazing how many planes were lost in take off and landing accidents, very high percentage. If you look in all the bomb craters, fox holes & other pits, aircraft parts (sadly some human parts too) are just laying around. Many of those parts and damaged aircraft would be prime restoration projects today. I guess the ID plates might be enough in some cases. Makes you wonder how much is still buried there.

Cloudchaser 151WR
    Last edited by Cloudchaser427; 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: AMAZING WWII WARBIRD PHOTOS

Supercub posted that site a few days ago. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=7961

Awesome pics though.

Comment

Awesome stuff, fellas. Really brings it home...in some ways more so than the old B&W movies do. Thanks for posting.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

That is some awsome stuff. Thanks for posting them.
        Tony

Comment

Great photos. I was only 13 in 1945 but already out at the Cleveland,Ohio airport washing & waxing planes for rides. A lot of P39/P63s used to land & refuel on the way to Russia. They even had the red stars painted on the olive drab paint jobs. Got to see the XP75 test flights. Pretty bad as they lost 2 test pilots during that time.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
            Great photos. I was only 13 in 1945 but already out at the Cleveland,Ohio airport washing & waxing planes for rides. A lot of P39/P63s used to land & refuel on the way to Russia. They even had the red stars painted on the olive drab paint jobs. Got to see the XP75 test flights. Pretty bad as they lost 2 test pilots during that time.
            Geez Bob, I'd wager more than a few of us would trade healthy skin for just a few of your memories... which makes me think.. Have you ever thought of writing/publishing a memoir of your experiences growing up in the era of such rapid change within the aviation world... and beyond, your experiences up to today?

I'd sign on to read them! Bet I'm far from alone!

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

C'mon Bob.
              Feel free to start from the beginning.

Comment

Thanks I'd have to think about that. :dunno
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                  Thanks I'd have to think about that. :dunno
                  Lockheed Bob,

Several months ago a friend of my father's passed away. At his memorial service, a gentleman stood up and started recounting stories of his involvement in the early B-29 program.

I had known the man since I was a little kid, but never thought to ask him about his time in the service. I can't believe how much I must have missed about his life.

Even if it's only in the form of brief anecdotes shared here on an AAFO sticky, please don't let the history you have experienced be lost with time.

Robert Goldman
                  Grandson of a WWI gunner observer whom I also failed to record many of his memories.
                  No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                  http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

if you want to read the real story about taking Iwo..

....buy and read this book. it is heralded as one of the finest and most factual narratives ever written.

seriously

Comment

Working...
                    X