OT: Benro tripods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Benro tripods?

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with the Benro brand of carbon fiber tripods? They look like decent-priced knockoffs of Gitzo -- light and compact for packing around at the races.

(Sorry for the gear question here Wayne, but the Photo forum doesn't seem to get much traffic. Feel free to move it)
    ________
    CM200T
    Last edited by bill_f; 01-22-2011, 11:19 AM.

Re: OT: Benro tripods?

There have been some discussions of Benro on a camera forum I frequent:

Last edited by wingman; 01-19-2010, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks Neal. Since that's a registered-user site, I'll save interested non-Nikonians the effort -- this links to a critique of the Benro ballhead that's key to many online discussions: http://www.tomwebsterphoto.com/Essay...o/benroks2.htm

Generally the brand seems to earn mixed reviews, with the most positive comments coming from folks who can balance lighter weight and price with lighter use and expectations.
      ________
      Honda XR400

Comment

Sorry about sending you to a registered-user site, Ken. I've been a member there for years, and had not known it was members only. An incredibly useful resource, though, for photographers who do join...

Neal

Comment

Ken and I thank you for the info, Neal!

Since it looks like there's interest in this thread, here's a related discussion (from the Canon camp): http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=619519
          ________
          NSS250

Comment

Hi Bill & Neal,

I work in a photographic store down here in NZ and we stock the Benro range of tripods, so far in the 12 months we have been stocking them they have been popular with photographers, the big trick with them is to make sure you get the heavier ones, they take alot of weight.
            If your choosing the ball heads, go for the -0/1/2/3 heads, the single digit codes are the bigger and heavier heads, that are still pretty light weight, but have a good load rating to them.
            The other thing i do like is that the tripods themselves have a bubble level, and the heads do as well, and the heads with the drag adjustments work very well.
            The Travel angel series would be my pick of them, and they are available in alloy as well as CF.

I hope this helps.
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
              I hope this helps.

Good info is always welcome -- thanks!
              ________
              cannabis collective

Comment

Hi Bill,

glad i could help, and from what i have been able to find out, Benro's manufacturing plant actually make the Gitzo's.
                race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Working...
                X