Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Jackson: Any Furias Updates?

Hi Matt,

I know there may have been some re-thinking on the original plan to have running updates on the Furias rebuild-for-Gold. But can we fans get a cold winter's day general update on the progress of the work, and maybe a hint at some little thing or two being done as a first on a Sea Fury racer?

Any talk on a new color scheme?

Thanks,

Lowell

Re: Matt Jackson: Any Furias Updates?

Please Matt, please? Just a crumb will do.
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Let's see where do I begin? First let me say that the plane is coming along great. The Sanders, Kurtch and crew are busy at straightening out many issues that old girl had. Needless to say there was a lot of bondo covering a lot of ills on the old girl. The spare engine was fine tunned by Brian this last Reno on Dreadnought. Purr's like a kitten. The full race motor is in progress at Anderson Aeromotive up in Idaho and should be in our hands by Mid March. The plane was totally disassembled and is being done as a ground up restoration. Too many issues to just bandaid and go. The team is working their tails off to get her done so I can have my turn at the pylons again next year. Center section is flying back together now and the wings are back on. Mike Wilton has been slaving away in the wheel wells redoing everything is sight and taking care of all the machining issues on the plane, and there is a lot of them. Kurtch is busy designing and building all the new race systems. The plane by the looks of it should be a contender out of the box, at the rate we are going. We lost a year with all the things we found on the tear down. Chuck Greenhill decided to do it right and gave the Sanders team the greenlight to make this a magnificent Sea Fury. She'll have a race canopy and all the trimmings. So watch out Strega & the Bear, Furias will be in the hunt!!!! Let's see if I can keep her on the course!!!

Comment

Thank you Matt!

Really look forward to seeing this Fury again.

I hope somewhere on a gear door or other spot there is a little tribute to Lloyd Hamilton and to Gary Hubler.

Comment

Thanks Matt. There isn't many race planes you haven't flown or had something to do with. Your turn in 2010.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Many thanks for the update on Furias Matt..... I know when i first got interested in Reno one of the first unlimiteds i ever seen in pics was Furias in the gold and red with the turtledeck on her... can not wait to see her again on the course and in the gold
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Thank you for the update Matt! My first Reno experience was in 2000 and Critical Mass and Furias were my immeadiate underdog favorites(gotta include the Smooter Scooter also!). Would love to see you guys there this year. Good Luck.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                She'll have a race canopy and all the trimmings.
                Trimmings as in trimmed wings? A la 232?

Comment

No we are not cutting the wings. Clipped wings cost 232 about 8 MPH after the clip. The course is too small and the 4360 Sea Fury is too big of a plane to clip for the turning course.

MJ

Comment

Smart move not clipping the wings. As a kid in Cleveland I remember Charles Tuckers clipped wing P63 & he could hardly keep it under control in the turns. I know you guys will do it right. Thanks for keeping us informed.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                      Smart move not clipping the wings. As a kid in Cleveland I remember Charles Tuckers clipped wing P63 & he could hardly keep it under control in the turns. I know you guys will do it right. Thanks for keeping us informed.
                      Bob, I'm pretty sure that this is going to be one of the more interesting projects to come down the pike in some time.. Essentially, from what I'm hearing, we're going to see a BRAND NEW racer on the course when they get her done... Matt's a good stick with a lot of determination and support.. WOW...

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I vote we clip the wing anyway. It looks faster, so it must be faster.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                          I vote we clip the wing anyway. It looks faster, so it must be faster.
                          haha..you must have gotten registered to vote by ACORN..because...your vote doesn't count!
                          Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                            No we are not cutting the wings. Clipped wings cost 232 about 8 MPH after the clip. The course is too small and the 4360 Sea Fury is too big of a plane to clip for the turning course.

MJ
                            Wow the wing clip cost that much in speed.. and 8 mph doesnt sound much but it could have made the difference between 1st n 3rd on this years speeds.., and being the throttle through the firewall competitor Mike Brown was he would have had to push that much harder to make up for it..
                            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                              Wow the wing clip cost that much in speed.. and 8 mph doesnt sound much but it could have made the difference between 1st n 3rd on this years speeds.., and being the throttle through the firewall competitor Mike Brown was he would have had to push that much harder to make up for it..
                              FYI - From someone who was part of the crew during those years, there were more changes than the clip that can be attributed. I'll leave it at that.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X