4 engine PBY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 engine PBY?

Whatever happened to the Bird 4 engine PBY?

Re: 4 engine PBY?

The warbird registry is source of information documenting all Catalinas and Cansos used by the worlds military that managed to survive that service.

(Last info added: 2005)
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-02-2010, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Hi Supercub-

Current FAA aircraft registration for the former 'Bird Innovator' (PBY-5A s/n 417, civil designation Model 28-5ACF) as N5PY notes it registered effective 5/31/07 to Ronald Ruble of Port Saint Lucie, FL under co-ownership.

When I was coming home from the Sept. '06 Clear Lake, Ca. annual Seaplane Splash-In, I stopped at the Aurora, OR airport to catch a Citation to Sea-Tac & the ole' Bird P-Boat was in hangar storage there in disassembled state. (May well still be there, as most folks know-registration locations aren't reliable for determining physical locations of a plane.)

BTW also, -it hasn't been in its' famous 4-engine mod. configuration for many years, w/the two o/b Lycs since removed. Suggest you google search for more info. Most interesting is bio stuff on Dr. Forrest Bird, a truly remarkable man. Awhile ago, he was featured on a TV segment of 60-Minutes (think Morley Safer was the interviewer, but not sure), which was excellent too.

Hope this info helps get you closer to an answer to your question, Supercub. Happy New Year!!!

DBD

Comment

I don't know when the Lycs were removed, but I have run across a photo showing that it still had 4 engines as late as 1993.

Here's a link to the page with said snapshot...MANY PBYs on it, so you have to scroll down a bit to find N5PY.

LINK: http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_a...s/PBY_CAT.html

Comment

Hey AirDOGGe-

I believe you're probably correct (re. N5PY still being in 4-eng. config.). In '06, when I was at Aurora, OR. a/p, we just cruised by RR's hangar & just caught a glimpse of the fus. fm the car.

Here's a link showing some photos uploaded 9/12/07 of the plane at Albuquerque, NM. -

(Site photo notes mention that the PBY was currently being restored & converted back to std. twin-eng. config.). Not certain of the actual date of the photos, but you can contact the photographer via the site, if interested in verifying photo dates. I'd be interested in knowing what anyone manages to dig-up on this...

DBD

Comment

The airplane hasn't been at Albuquerque in a very long time probably since it was purchased from Dick Durand in 1996- so over ten years plus. It was at the Santa Monica auction in May, 1990 when it was based in Albuquerque.
            Last edited by John H; 01-02-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

For those interested- Just got word today via my old pal & veteran aviation photog- Steve Tank, that the ex-Bird Innovator PBY is still there at Aurora, OR airport in pieces inside its' hangar.

Steve's on Phil Fogg's L-39 jet racing team & their hangar is right across from the P-Boat's hangar. (Thanks, Steve, for the info & great comms!)

DBD

Comment

Working...
              X