S-H-A-R-K-M-O-U-T-H !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-H-A-R-K-M-O-U-T-H !

SHARKMOUTH aviation noseart has been around since WW1 through the present, -boldly-festooning numerous types of military & civilian aircraft w/its' intimidating & aggressive flair. Sharkmouths have also found their way onto the business end of boats & vehicles over the years as well, since their original advent.

Certainly, the most-common use of the Sharkmouth motif, has been for adorning the noses of fighter aircraft, particularly the WW2 Curtiss P-40, w/its' distinctive shark-nosed contours being perfect for adaptation of these fiercesome examples of design art. Mid-East & N. Africa-based R.A.F. 112 Sqdn chose the Sharkmouth to emblazon its' Tomahawks & Kittyhawks-gaining popular appeal via news publications reporting on the war effort. That publicity in-turn inspired the use of the Sharkmouth elsewhere on other fronts, by both friend & foe alike.

But without any doubt, it was via the RAF-style Sharkmouth's subsequent imitation in the Far East by Gen. Claire Chennault's legendary- A.V.G./'Flying Tigers' as unit-standard decoration for all 3 of the Group's pursuit squadrons of P-40 Tomahawks & Warhawks, that this distinctive noseart gained its' historic status as one of WW2's most-recognized iconic symbols.

Today, most of the surviving Curtiss P-40s- flying or residing in museums on static display, incorporate Sharkmouth noseart in many versions for their paint schemes, w/various degrees of authenticity. Here's a sample photo gallery of a few finer examples of these P-40s, -mixing archive photos w/contemporary examples, to celebrate the ever-popular:

"S-H-A-R-K-M-O-U-T-H"!

DBD

Photos (L-R/Top to bottom):

1-2. Tony Banta's P-40E (AK940/RCAF#1058/15411) at '09 Chino POF Airshow well-represents the classic USAAF OD/Neutral Gray Sharkmouth Warhawk, & always draws lots of fan attention while on display. In the air, this P-40 is truly-exciting to watch & its' inflight form is unmistakable as one of WW2's great air combat pursuit planes.

3. Pictured here at the USN National Museum of Naval Aviation last Jan. '09, -this P-40C/Tomahawk IIb (AK255/14737) was retrieved from a Russian crash site in 1990, restored, & put on display as a tribute to the A.V.G. Flying Tigers. (Just standing next to this bird generates ear-to-ear Sharkmouth grins!

4-5. Flying Tigers' Tomahawk history really 'ROARS' today, with this airworthy & flying P-40C example (41-13390/16194) from Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection museum at Paine Field, Wa. FHC chief pilot- John Penney (yes-Rare Bear's skipper) fires up the Tomahawk's Allison V-12 in prep for some demo practice last May '09 prior to start of FHC's summer 'Fly-Days'. This rare bird also came from a Russian crash site in '92 & was restored by Fighter Rebuilder's in Chino to become the first flying Tomahawk restoration & was 'diverted' from U.K. delivery. (Never thought I'd live to see a Tomahawk P-40 in a museum, let alone fly. Today there are two flying, w/more under restoration!)

6-9. Chino, Ca.-9/24/83: Four shots capturing P-40E (AK979/RCAF#1064/18723) getting ready to depart following a visit to Chino. Then owned by Flying Tiger Line/Tiger Int'l.-Los Angeles, & painted-up as A.V.G. Ace- Robert Prescott's bird-#67 (5.5 air vic), the plane was subsequently loaned to the San Diego Aerospace Museum for indoor static display. Flying Tigers' history REALLY still flies here! -Note the 'personalized' elevators bearing actual signatures of surviving A.V.G. veteran pilots and ground support crewmen. Ace's signatures include (w/air vic noted): David "Tex" Hill (10.25), Robert "Duke" Hedman (6), Chuck Older (10), Dick Rossi (6) & R. T. Smith (8.9).

10. The Confederate Air Force HQ-based (Harlingen/Midland, TX.) P-40N (42-105867/RCAF#867/29629) seen taxiing-out at the '94 Phoenix 500 Air Races/Williams Gateway Airport, AZ., is painted as an A.V.G. 'Panda Bears' Sqdn pursuit ship. This P-40 is currently registered to American Airpower Flying Heritage Museum in Midland, TX.

11-13. Sneak Attack! -The Paul Family's venerable & beautiful P-40E (AK933/15404) has long worn RAF desert camo colors of SU-E, & has thrilled many thousands of airshow & air racing fans over the years. Her Sharkmouth art continues to be one of the best S-M renditions to be seen on contemporary flying P-40s. These shots were taken at Reno '09, racing as #18 by pilots-John Maloney & John-Curtiss Paul. (The pylon angle closeup view wasn't something an enemy pilot cared to see coming up on his tail!)

14-16. Tony Banta's P-40E seen again at Chino '09 POF Airshow taking-off & conducting fly-pasts for the crowd, -displays its' classic WW2 Warhawk profile & wing design planform & true 'hawk appearance'.

17-19. Planes of Fame's P-40N (42-105192/RCAF#858/28954) has worn Sharkmouth art off & on over the years. These Chino '09 Airshow pics captures her wearing striking new 325th FG "Checkertail Clan" WW2-MTO colors w/Sharkmouth.

20. A truly rare & magnificent sight of a trio of Curtiss P-40s making a formation fly-over at the Chino '09 annual flying warbird extravaganza- two Sharkmouths joined by the Paul Family's P-40N 'Parrot Head' (42-106396/RCAF#880/30158). What a treat to behold (& hear) for any warbird lover!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 12-23-2009, 09:57 AM.

Re: S-H-A-R-K-M-O-U-T-H !

"SNEAK ATTACK!"...!

Sharkmouth attacks on air race & airshow fans are extremely-rare, but they CAN & DO happen, -as evidenced by the photo below, which documents one such instance. This shot taken at Reno last year, captures a group of unfortunate air race fans suffering serious consequences, after making the big mistake of entering a Sharkmouth pit pen in their eagerness to get- 'up-close & personal' w/one of these ferocious & unpredictable beasts. (Apparently, none of them were aware that Sharkmouths are voracious nocturnal feeders, much to their demise & as you can see, when a Sharkmouth chews you up, -it ain't pretty!) "Eee-Gahd, Man!"

DBD
    Attached Files

Comment

I must confess to a serious weakness for Sharkmouth P-40s myself...

Comment

Wingman,

Thanks for posting these great photos. Didn't even realize there is a C model flying in the States. Gotta watch those sharks, I hear they attack Reno signs with a vengeance.
        Attached Files
        No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
        http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Hey Ignomini-

Love both of your Sharkmouth shots, but the second one (w/'R-E-N-O' home pylon text background) is just super!

Yo Neal-

For a second I almost thought you were gettin' into stereo photography too, until I looked more closely at the tail angles, race # decals & lighting differences in both photos. BTW- You took a color head-on Calif. airshow static one of SU-E back in the '70s that I still have framed on my studio wall (it's a classic & all-time favorite). Birgitta's dramatic frontal portrait reminded me of it.

THX guys f/postin' 'em!

DBD
          Last edited by BuckyD; 12-29-2009, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks Bucky. I was surprised how great the P-40 looks on course, not so much as a fast racer, but the attitude. "I'm coming and there's going to be trouble." Maybe its the guns.
            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Working...
            X