X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Wingman archives...

Long ago...

Re: From the Wingman archives...

That first shot looks to be 1980. John Dilley in Lou IV, Lloyd Hamilton in Baby Gorilla, Bill Whittington in GiGi II, and Bob Love in the Hovey Mustang.

Close?

Neal, you have the picture of Double Trouble 'trademarked' as 1976, but that has to be 1977. Double Trouble blew an engine coming out of Phoenix in 1976 and never made it to Reno. Has the clipped prop tips and the modified intake/exhaust on it, so it has to be N345.

Good stuff, though. Thanks.

Comment

I think 1977 is probably correct, Big Jim. The print was undated, like many early Wingman prints. I've never been a very meticulous keeper of records -- more of a "Isn't that pretty!" kind of a guy. Thank God for the real historians, like Bucky, Brad H, Lowell or yourself to keep things correct! Bucky WORKS at this stuff; for me it's just play...

OK, a little quiz. What year is this? Should be easy for the real Reno historians among us! Shawn excluded for now....

Neal

Comment

That photo must be 1987, I think that is Blind Man's Bluff under Neal's name, slightly covered by the "MI'.

Larry

Comment

Good try, Larry, but no cigar...

That's actually a Corsair. Sorry about the intrusive watermark. I recently had an image lifted off the web by a very prominent racing web site -- they apparently just trimmed my name off the bottom of an image I posted here and put it up on their site, with no payment or credit. So I'm a bit sensitive about copyright right now.

Neal

Comment

I see (l to r) Kangaroo, Mangia Pane, Bubba's Buchon, Baby Gorilla, Sunshine/Mustang Fever, Ge Ge II, Old Blue, White Lightnin, Cloud Dancer, Miss America, and Blue Max on the ramp.

In the pits, I spy a John Parker piloted racer too.....

If that doesn't give it away, nothing will.

Jim

Comment

Very good, Big Jim...

Comment

Looking at the overhead of the pits... i spy a bear in there too...
                race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

340 next to the Bear?
                  Last edited by Red; 01-01-2010, 10:46 PM.
                  Red
                  chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    I see (l to r) Kangaroo, Mangia Pane, Bubba's Buchon, Baby Gorilla, Sunshine/Mustang Fever, Ge Ge II, Old Blue, White Lightnin, Cloud Dancer, Miss America, and Blue Max on the ramp.

In the pits, I spy a John Parker piloted racer too.....

If that doesn't give it away, nothing will.

Jim

Also in the pits...Lou IV, Section Eight, Sumthin' Else, the Hovey Mustang, Precious Metal, Bearcat Bill, 100 Day Wonder, Daydreamer, Ridge Runner III, and everyone's favorite Bear.

Comment

I am going with 81. That is the POF A model in the upper left hand corner. In the pits is Gary Levitz # 38 Aussi Mustang. RRIII stands out with those wing walks.

Comment

It was indeed 1981...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                          It was indeed 1981...

That's some early-eighties firepower right there!

As far as history is concerned every single one of those planes or pilots was a Reno winner and/or World Record Holder at one point or another.

Don Whittington out front in Precious Metal...which held the Qualifying record from 1976-79. "At-the-time" two-time winner Lyle Shelton in the Rare Bear (I think he won this race...which, if I'm not mistaken is Friday's Gold Heat), 1979 Champion John Crocker in Sumthin' Else, and two rookies that someday would go on to win more than a few races....Bill Destefani in Mangia Pane, and Skip Holm in Jeannie.

Comment

'81 would still be my friend Ron Hevle in Mangia Pane, I think -- another future Champion. At least he used to be a friend -- haven't seen him in several years...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                              I think 1977 is probably correct, Big Jim. The print was undated, like many early Wingman prints. I've never been a very meticulous keeper of records -- more of a "Isn't that pretty!" kind of a guy. Thank God for the real historians, like Bucky, Brad H, Lowell or yourself to keep things correct! Bucky WORKS at this stuff; for me it's just play...

OK, a little quiz. What year is this? Should be easy for the real Reno historians among us! excluded for now....

Neal

happy new year

Comment

Working...
                              X