Snowbirds 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowbirds 2010

I see Snowbirds scheduled to do NCAR Sept/10.

Re: Snowbirds 2010

Most excellent, will give me plenty of time to go to the bathroom and get something to eat, lol.
    They are FANTASTIC pilots and do a great show, I just wish they made a little bit more noise. Would be fun to see them do a lap on the unlimited course in formation. Better yet, would be ahoot to see them race each other for a few laps........ I am sure that wont happen though.

Comment

I talked to a few of the pilots a couple of years ago at home and they would love, love, love to take a turn around the pylons. Prolly about as bad as we want to see it they want to do it.

I'm glad to see Kent Pietsch is back too. I wish they'd get his brother Warren to Reno sometime. He has a clipped wing Taylorcraft and it's cool to see him and Kent flying together. They been coming to Abbotsford the last couple of years and we're really enjoying their show.

Comment

The snowbirds are slow and quiet, but oh so graceful, Love their show, always have. Lokks like a bladder busting year with Kent and them, if they have lots of racing like the last few years. Been much faster paced!
        Wasn't Warren and his clip-wing there a couple years ago?
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Didn't Warren fly in '07 and '08? Also, the Snowbirds did a lap around the pylons at the end of their performance last time they flew at Reno ('07?).

I would really like to see Bud and Ross Granley given the opportunity to fly in the airshow. For overall showmanship, precision, and flying with grace around the edges of the envelope they cannot be beat. I'm really tired of the snappy high G gyroscopic maneuvers all over the sky
          Last edited by Skyracer; 12-11-2009, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
            Didn't Warren fly in '07 and '08? Also, the Snowbirds did a lap around the pylons at the end of their performance last time they flew at Reno ('07?).

I would really like to see Bud and Ross Granley given the opportunity to fly in the airshow. For overall showmanship, precision, and flying with grace around the edges of the envelope they cannot be beat. I'm really tired of the snappy high G gyroscopic maneuvers all over the sky
            I guess I meant that I would like to see Warren and Kent at Reno at the same time. I would love to see Bud and Ross Granley in Reno. I'm fortunate to be able to catch their shows up here.

And I have that Snowbird lap on video somewhere, but the guys we talked to had said they wanted to do a little more than that

Comment

At the risk of heading into nostalgia, I would like to see more of the warbird shows in general. The Sanders smokewinder was incredible, Lefty, Merle's Corsair, the Red Knight, the Super Corsair...
              ANY of the current warbird demonstartions would be cool. I too am tired of the High G shows and maneuvers I don't even recognize!
              Not in any way degrading the abilities of those pilots, just not my cup of tea and there are too many of them in any given year.
              Of course, on the flip side of that, I'll sit in the stands and watch a Cessna do lazy circles waiting for the next race...
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Has anybody heard anything lately about the Snowbirds transition to the CT-155 Hawk? I recall that being rumored a couple of years back but haven't heard much about it lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Has anybody heard anything lately about the Snowbirds transition to the CT-155 Hawk? I recall that being rumored a couple of years back but haven't heard much about it lately.
                  No mention of any aircraft-swaps on their website for the near or far future. There never was such a program as far as I know of, just average aviation-interested people discussing such a change. I don't believe the Canadian Forces ever pursued it, at least not officially.

Official Snowbirds website:
                  Last edited by AirDOGGe; 12-12-2009, 01:48 AM.

Comment

What I remember about the Slowbirds their last time at NCAR was that cat in Section 3 with the megaphone giving the pilots a ration of bullhorn as they crossed through the box seats -- particularly to the shaveheaded shavetail:

"Get a real haircut!"

"Your left, your left
                    Your mother's a punk, your father's a punk
                    Your left ...!"

$
                    "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                    Martin Caidin

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                      Most excellent, will give me plenty of time to go to the bathroom and get something to eat, lol.
                      They are FANTASTIC pilots and do a great show, I just wish they made a little bit more noise. Would be fun to see them do a lap on the unlimited course in formation. Better yet, would be ahoot to see them race each other for a few laps........ I am sure that wont happen though.
                      I do the same. Too slow and not enough noise. Great pilots though.

Frank C.

Comment

I reckon I'm just getting old. I love the grace and precision of the Snowbirds, and watch them every time. When the Angels or Thunderbirds fly I invariably make a huge effort to find someplace indoors to get away from the horrendous noise and repetition. I've always thought the best Blue Angels shows were the ones with the A-4 Scooters -- tight, precise, and always in view of the audience. Loved the 'Birds with the T-38s, too.

I know of at least once when the Snowbirds started to run the pylons. Many years ago they did a media flight early in the week. When we returned to Stead the guys wanted to do the pylons, so lined up to have at it. I was in number 8, I think. we hammered down and whipped around pylon one (not real low, though) and immediately realised that different airplanes were on different courses, and quickly losing sight of each other! My driver pulled up very sharply and went inverted to try to see what was going on -- there were Snowbirds all over the sky. That was the end of that -- we assembled and landed...

Neal
                        Last edited by wingman; 12-13-2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I'm with ya Neal 100% ("old" & lovin' the CAF's SNOWBIRDS)!

Hoover-Lefty Gardner-The SNOWBIRDS: my favorite all-time airshow aero performance acts-wherever the venue. (Would love to see the RAF's RED ARROWS make at least one Reno appearance someday too, to cap it all off for me )

BTW- Neal, didn't you make at least TWO media flights w/The SNOWBIRDS at Reno? (Lucky Dog!)

DBD

Comment

No Buck -- I only got to do that one once.

It was a Helluva ride though...

Comment

Now THAT is a really cool shot. Must have been a fun ride.
                              Thanks Neal.

GP

Comment

Working...
                              X