Off topic: I found a warbird project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off topic: I found a warbird project

Had an adventure today. Went and looked at the perverbial "warbird stashed in a barn". Really very exciting, now I don't know what to do...

I have found a 1943 L3B that is very unusual. It was bought war surplus, flown lightly for 5 or so years, then disassembled in the early 50’s and stored in a Quonset hut. With dreams of restoring it, the owner re-built and re-spared and recovered the wings in the 70’s. Everything has sat as it was, since the mid 70’s.

All the original parts are on site plus 2 sets of ailerons, 2 or 3 sets of tail feathers extra struts and engine components. Logs and an original bill of sale are presumably available, but I have not reviewed them yet.

My quandary is what this project should be valued at. My father and I wish to make the owner an offer but believe the asking price of $8,000 is too high.

Any guidance would be sincerely appreciated. And no, I won't be racing it if I get it.
    Attached Files
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Re: Off topic: I found a warbird project

If it's complete and the logs show some good history, then I think it would be worth it for such a rare bird. Depends on who can rebuild it for you and for how much, I guess.

A complete one just sold for $27,995 in September, though that sounds cheap and I have no idea what it's history or wear-and-tear condition was.

Here's a link to a cached page of said plane. The original page has been pulled since that plane was sold...

... Another L3B ...
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

That looks like a very Do-able project.....

If I could afford a little plane...something like that would be what I would be looking for....and maybe put some big wheels on!

Comment

Thought this might give you some food for thought...

I know of a 1947 Stinson 108 in the same condition that's going for $10k. I know of another Stinson that came from this condition to a completed, flying, better-than-new airplane for a total cost of ~$80k .

$8k is much less than the cost of many experimental kits and this has way more history and character.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by rnichols View Post
          $8k is much less than the cost of many experimental kits and this has way more history and character.
          And you get to park on the warbird row at flyins.

Comment

Working...
          X