X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering Pearl Harbor-"UP AND AT 'EM!"

December 7, 1941 - "UP AND AT 'EM!" - Wheeler Field

2nd Lt. pilots- George S. Welch & Kenneth M. Taylor, USAAF/47PS-15PG

Curtiss P-40B Tomahawks dogfight Japanese Aichi Type 99 'Val' dive bombers from IJN carrier- KAGA, during the 2nd Attack Wave on Pearl Harbor, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii...

"Only minutes have passed since the First Wave of Japanese raiders made their exit- home base to all Hawaiian Air Force army fighter units is a burning shambles. Not one U.S. pursuit made it airborne to challenge ZUIKAKU's Val dive bombers and SORYU's Zeros. Instead, the ramp's tightly-packed fighters burn like pyres of matchsticks. The lull between attacks is punctuated by delayed explosions and the sharp crackle and pop from a fierce barrage of flak clawing the empty sky above. Suddenly, a pair of P-40s descend through the gauntlet to land. Lts. Welch (flying~'White 160') & Taylor (in~'White 155') have come in from Haliewa Field to the north, hoping to find some .50-cal. ammo for their ships before the enemy returns. 6th & 19th Pursuit Squadron groundcrew scramble to service them, as idle senior officers order Welch & Taylor to disperse and ground their P-40s.

Rearming is cut short, as seven Vals streak in low from Pearl Harbor and Hickam to strafe the field- the Second Wave had arrived! The two pilots pour the coals to their Allison motors for immediate takeoff into the enemy formation, and a hot dogfight over Wheeler & Wahiawa town ensues. Taylor knocks over the ammo dolly and commences firing even before his gear is up. He chandelles- latching onto the tail of one Val, while another locks onto his Curtiss from behind. Welch grabs for altitude while evading heavy fire from behind, and manages to shake off his attacker. Noting Taylor's predicament below, Welch comes to the aid of his brother officer by making a steep dive to engage Taylor's pursuer, whose guns have begun to find their mark..."

Only one of many harrowing and exciting moments during the combat sortie encounters of Welch & Taylor on Dec. 7th, 1941- this is the scene depicted in my painting titled- "UP AND AT 'EM!", which was commissioned by the Alaska Air National Guard Officers' Assn. in Anchorage, to honor retired AKANG retired B/Gen. Kenneth M. Taylor, & to create a special 50th-Anniversary PHA commemorative signed ltd. edition lithographic print.

The project took four intensive years of research to dig up the specific aircraft ID number markings for Welch & Taylor's P-40Bs (which had eluded the efforts PHA historians over the years since), analyze volumes of archive documents & photos to reconstruct sortie sequences & aerial encounters, and try to establish as many contacts w/key living veterans as possible for their first-hand accounts & personal archive material. It was an extremely-daunting endeavour, to say the least, especially w/regards to matching-up U.S. & Japanese aerial combat opponents per specific combat sorties made-that part was only made possible via the kind assistance of eminent PHA historians, first & foremost of all- Mr. David Aiken.

By far the most rewarding aspect of it all, was having the rare privilege and honor of establishing many wonderful friendships & associations w/the veterans themselves & their families. Gen. Taylor's personal letter of endorsement was of great assistance & George Welch's family's cooperation & support was pivotal. The 47th Ftr. Sqdn. Assn. welcomed me w/open arms. I attended their 1991 Indiannapolis Reunion, joined-up w/them (& the 7th Fighter Command Assn.) in Honolulu for the Big 50th, and then made it to one more of the 47th FS reunions held in Dayton, OH.

Today's the 68th Anniversary, and the WW2 veterans' ranks are fading fast, and we should take just a brief moment of silence to not only Remember Pearl Harbor today, but all those truly-amazing folks from that great generation who sacrificed everything to keep us free.

Here's a few photos to share in saluting the U.S.A.'s two most-successful interceptor pilots on The Day of Infamy- Taylor & Welch, and some of the guys who got them into the air that day:

Photos-Top Row (L-R):

1. "UP AND AT 'EM!" - Original 18" x 24" acrylic painting illustration on canvas. Mostly transparent colors were used for a special glazed tinting technique to create a luminous watercolor effect. 3 different sortie depictions were rendered in B&W charcoal & Gen. Taylor chose the Wheeler Field scene for the painting subject (-which utilized a often-reproduced captured Japanese aerial B&W attack photo for a realistic & authentic background). I was shooting for a 1940s-era illustrative soft-edged look for the painting, rather than photo-realism.

2-3. Two U.S. Army Signal Corps photos taken 1/9/42 at Wheeler Field, Oahu of Lts. Welch & Taylor during awards ceremonies for their Distinguished Service Cross medals (-second only to the Medal of Honor).

4. The late & great- B/Gen. Ken Taylor, during the print signing sessions at AKANG Kullis Base- Anchorage, Alaska (-still showing that fiery gleam of a fighter pilot).

5. The artist in his Ketchikan, Alaska studio w/his just-completed painting, before shipping it off for delivery acceptance by AKANGOA-Anchorage & then to the printers.

Photos-Bottom Row (L-R):

1. Gen. Taylor & the artist, pause for a publicity portrait during the Anchorage print-signing of 1,941 regular edition prints w/47-each artist's proofs.

2. Group portrait of those 47th Fighter Squadron Reunion Assn. veterans at Indiannapolis '91, who were original members of the 47th PS stationed w/the unit on December 7, 1941. Only 12/7 pilot attending was Col. Irv Henze (standing 5th fm rt.), -all the others in this photo were enlisted groundcrew.

3. Sun. 12/8/91 - Old Haliewa Field-N. Shore, Oahu is all over-grown w/tropical vegetation when I got a personal tour from three original 47th-PS vets (L-R): Harry Calvert, Ralph Simpson & Ralph Wright, who were on-station here the morning of 12/7/41 & were among those on duty who assisted getting the handful of the sqdn's P-40Bs & P-36As airborne that day to fight the Japanese attackers.

A great website link for info on Ken Taylor:

밤알바 유흥알바 여성알바 구인구직 사이트 1위 핑크알바는 서울 부산 울산 대구 등 전국각지 고소득알바 고수익알바 고수입알바 업소알바 룸알바 카페알바 바알바 노래도우미알바 아가씨구인 노래도우미알바 정보를 제공합니다.

AND a good one for info on George Welch:

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 12-08-2012, 02:43 AM.

Re: Remembering Pearl Harbor-"UP AND AT 'EM!"

Great story. Nothing against Yeager but there were a lot of better pilots including those that didn't have his ego.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Great stuff Bucky - as always
      especially pic 5. Ah, to be young again
      Mark K....

Comment

That was a really great painting. I remember the time when you were working on it, Buck. I remember that it took forever, as you fussed, and researched, and fussed some more trying to get it perfect...

Great work -- Thanks for posting it...

Neal

Comment

Bob, Mark & Neal-

Thanks alot for posting your notes & kind comments.

BTW-Neal, the time I spent actually working full-time on the painting itself from start to completion took just a little over a month. All the preliminary research & prep work took up nearly four years & that just about drove me bonkers !!!

For anyone interested, here are photos of my three 18x24in. B&W charcoal pencil preliminary design rough sketches, which were submitted for Gen. Taylor to choose from, depicting three specific T-W sortie encounter scenes. The verticle alternate piece illlustrates Taylor & Welch's P-40Bs engaging AKAGI Vals engaged in strafing the USMC Ewa Field Mooring Mast Station. The other alternate sketch- (for which I utilized a photo shot from one of the B-17s arriving from the mainland during the attack, for the background)-depicts Taylor chasing a departing Val out to sea just before shooting it down into the water just out from the beach. (Note: the sketches were done using scale models I built to work from, & drawn before I applied the authentic a/c # decal markings to the models for use in the final painting).

I still have these sketches. As for the painting's disposition- last I heard (unofficially), was that the AKANGOA donated my original "Up And At 'Em!" painting to the U.S. Army National Guard Museum in Washington, D.C. "Remember Pearl Harbor!" (I certainly always will - even though it happened before my time )

DBD
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BuckyD; 12-21-2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Those are classics & priceless. Thanks for posting them. I was 9 at the time & I remember pictures being in the paper.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

On this year's 2010 anniversary of the December 7, 1941 - here's a photo taken at Wheeler Field, Oahu on the morning of the 50th PHA Anniversary ceremonies - 12/7/91.......

PHA survivors & other WW2 veterans, along w/their families, friends & guests, watch a special flight of USAF F-15 Eagles performing a commemorative 'Missing Man Formation' over the field at the exact time of the original attack, in remembrance of America's losses on December 7th & during WW2 service.

DBD
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BuckyD; 12-07-2010, 03:30 AM.

Comment

I salute all those past & present that served or are serving this great nation. I'll bet a lot of kids don't even know what Pearl Harbor Day is.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Awesome BuckyD!
                  As an artist myself I am always fascinated by how others arrive at their finished product.
                  The Pearl Harbor attack and events leading to it are highly studied subjects for me and have been for years. I've been there 3 times now as a tourist and doing light research and each time it is even more touching. The last time I attended the flag raising at sunup on the Arizona which was tied to the re-enlistment ceremony of sailors coming home from the first gulf war on the U.S.S. Ranger, one of the most moving ceremonies I have ever seen.
                  If any of you get a chance, it is a must-visit. Do a little reading before hand so you can truly appreciate this hallowed ground.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                    I salute all those past & present that served or are serving this great nation. I'll bet a lot of kids don't even know what Pearl Harbor Day is.
                    well put Bob.am I a kid at 49? I have a friend who's parent's were there on this "DATE THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY!"(sic) I never forget and I'm sure a lot of AAFO'ers
                    dont.I instill these value's to my kids also.never forget!

Comment

Originally posted by lowpasskid View Post
                      well put Bob.am I a kid at 49? I have a friend who's parent's were there on this "DATE THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY!"(sic) I never forget and I'm sure a lot of AAFO'ers
                      dont.I instill these value's to my kids also.never forget!

That is very true, there will be a generation who don't realize the significance of december 7.
                      I remember going on a tour of ohau while on family vacation, and joe our tour driver as we went around pearl joe recounted seeing the japanese formations on their way into pearl harbour for the attack from his back step as an 8 year old and thinking it was american formations arriving from the mainland, and watched as they attacked.. that was a pretty emotional thing to listen too as a 16yr old (at the time)
                      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Last night at dinner I took the opportunity to help my 8 year old daughter understand why yesterday was a special day.

It's something we are going to have to do ourselves, folks. I really mean this sincerely. Our school systems don't focus on these events any more than just a passing mention of a date in the depths of some history book.

I'm pretty young - only 35 - but my dad taught me the reverent respect for this and other sacred days. Now it's my turn to teach my children. I urge you all to do the same.

Comment

Working...
                        X