• Show
Clear All

• PB4Y Water drop...

Long ago...

Re: PB4Y Water drop...

very cool

Comment

Great photos. PB4Y number 123 used to fly out of the air attack base at Santa Barbara. Never got to see it doing a drop though.
      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

My Dad flew Privateers....I wish I had seen one fly!

Comment

Do you have any more Privateer photos?

Comment

ok i wasnt there in 1976 but didnt they drop Red and white Blue retardent. Shawn

Comment

I think what's here is about it. That was the only time I've ever seen a PB4Y fly...

Shawn -- read my old caption on the third picture.

Here's a Neptune working on a brush fire North of Reno a few years later. You can see the smoke on the lower left of the shot. Tough terrain...

Comment

Awesome photos guys! Thanks for sharing. I was 4 years old in 1976 and I have been to every race since 1977. Post some more old shots, they bring back some great memories.
                Tony

Comment

Very nice Neal! Love the old shots. When did you adopt the "Wingman Photo" trademark?

Comment

Thanks, Neal, for posting the marvelous B&W photo set of that patriotic red-white & blue water drop by Hawkins & Powers' Tanker #127 PB4Y-2 Privateer (N6884C) at Reno '76. That certainly was a classic Reno moment, & you captured it perfectly f/posterity w/those shots (as a 'rookie race photog' that year )

The Neptune shot over that knarly rock terrain well-illustrates the most unforgiving aspect of water-bomber duty- flying so close to the ground in tight confines. Folks need to appreciate what an incredible & heroic job these guys do for us to help fight the war against natural fire disasters. Great pics all & thanks for sharing them!

Here's a color photo I took of H&P's PB4Y-2 Tanker #123 (N7620C) - seen 5/7/90 at Ketchikan International Airport, enroute summer contract duty up at Ft. Wainwright, Alaska. (This is the Privateer tragically-lost w/her crew on 7/18/02, while making a 2,000-gal. retardant drop on the Big Elk fire near Lyons, CO.).

I vaguely recall seeing at least one more PB4Y-2 demo water drop at Reno following the USA Air & Space Bicentennial event, but not positive. Sure would be nice to see a tanker demo again at the races, as it was cool as heck & the fans loved seeing it. T'was a nice way to salute our brave fire bomber crews & their long exceptional service history over the years to keep us safe. (Maybe something could be arranged while these tankers are based at Stead Field during the air races? - probably too many 'red tape' issues to make it happen, I guess...)

DBD
                    Attached Files

Comment

Great shots guys. I got to see a few (3 if I remember) flying out of Porterville the summer of '96 or 97. Didn't get to see any water drops, but it was pretty cool hearing and seeing them fly over. Aren't there a few of these up at Greybull Wyoming? I seem to remember hearing they had all been grounded, but then I remember hearing something about a couple being returned to flight status.

Will

Comment

...since we're on the subject of "4Ys", here's a tag-on to Neal's thread...

...front end of "Tanker 127"...made out of a T-33 canopy or (whatever ???)...

..."Tanker 123" at work...

Comment

Working...
                        X