Incredible 2/3-scale P-38

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredible 2/3-scale P-38

Last edited by Bigger Al; 10-05-2014, 10:53 AM.

Re: Incredible 2/3-scale P-38

Great job. I wish he would bring it to Reno next year. I'm sure he would gather a lot of attention & would be a good one to interview (Hint).
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Sweet machine.

I wonder if there are any more pics of it. I'm curious as to how the cowlings look from the front with horizontally opposed Continentals inside. Looks like the perfect airframe for a pair of those V6 Nissans, Pond Racer-style.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
        Sweet machine.

I wonder if there are any more pics of it. I'm curious as to how the cowlings look from the front with horizontally opposed Continentals inside. Looks like the perfect airframe for a pair of those V6 Nissans, Pond Racer-style.
        AirDOGGE... check this link out for more pic including head on pics.. to me it looks like a mini -38J or L with the big chin intakes...
        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

For more pictures, click on the link in the last line of the article.
          More pics at near the bottom of that page also.

Comment

This guys skills are awesome! Look at the compound curved piece he made that covers the lesding edge of the wing and flows into the cockpit center section.Amazing.......................I wonder if Jesse James could fab one of those pieces?

Comment

More info please! What is he using for powerplants?What is that builders background? Tin knocker? All around fabricator?Any info appreciated.

Brian (aka B2)

Comment

There used to be a scaled down P-38 based in LVK. It used 2 air cooled vw engines. It wasnt polished but I know the plane was sold years back I wonder if its the same one.
                CFI/CFII/MEI
                www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

The scale P-38 from Livermore was 55% and used a pair of Suzuki 4 cylinder inline 1.3L engines.
                  Last I heard it was donated to a museum.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by BKB View Post
                    More info please! What is he using for powerplants?What is that builders background? Tin knocker? All around fabricator?Any info appreciated.

Brian (aka B2)
                    Brian,
                    One of the blog comments states that the engines are 220 hp Continental 0-360s, from a Seneca. Starting with the Seneca II, Piper used counter-rotating Continental TSIO-360s and from the photos, it does appear that this project has counter-rotating engines (look closely at the props). IIRC, it was the Seneca III that first had the 220 hp version (but maybe he uprated the engines from a Seneca II).
                    For a retired professor who didn't learn to fly until age 60, this was a colossal undertaking. I'd love to see this scaled P-38. Well done, Jim, well done.
                    Chris
                    Last edited by FlyKidChris; 11-21-2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Is it me or are the aft boom air intakes missing in some pics and present in others?

Wouldnt you like to know what this baby weighs? Anyone got a spare set of Nemesis engines or Falcon V-12 engines?

I hope Prof. O'Hara allows the EAA to do an article on this fine homebuilt.

Comment

Wasn't there something posted a few months back about a composite 3/4 scale P-38? Is there any more information on that aircraft?

Awesome job of construction and tons of patients on the professors part. Outstanding job.

Dave
                        Dave

Comment

There is an incredible story here...I am tempted to e-mail his EAA chapter mates who posted the second set of pics and ask them to encourage him to fill us in....Prof O'Hara is 80 and did this....I am 60 and cant even remember why I went into the basement....

Comment

Originally posted by catalinadave View Post
                            Wasn't there something posted a few months back about a composite 3/4 scale P-38? Is there any more information on that aircraft?

Dave
                            Article http://www.aeroplanemonthly.co.uk/ne...ws_195526.html
                            Last edited by Apteryx; 11-21-2009, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Apteryx, thats the one. Thanks,

Dave
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X