Ken Burnstine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Burnstine

Does anyone know how to get the accident report on Ken's crash ? Heard there was some conflicting reports on the accident?

Re: Ken Burnstine

Do you mean the 1976 P-51 crash at Mojave? If not, then ignore the following:

The NTSB report is inconclusive, except for the mention of unfavorable winds and 40 knot gusts:

But there are some interesting details of him being a key witness in a drug smuggling case...Sabotage perhaps?

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 11-18-2009, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Anyone with color picture of Miss Foxy Lady, & Miss Suzie-Q

Comment

I remember my father telling me about that crash. Split 'S' into the ground I think. My father's impression was that Ken took a chance he didn't need to take in order to make a grand arrival at Mojave.

I've got pictures at my father's photo gallery.

Bob Guilford Photo Archive

Here's one for ya though...

Steve Guilford

Comment

I watched the accident and the split ess into the ground is my recollection too.

BillRo

Comment

Originally posted by mmu2 View Post
            Anyone with color picture of Miss Foxy Lady, & Miss Suzie-Q
            ..."Miss Suzy-Q" N69QF at Mojave '73...

..."Miss Foxy Lady" N70QF at Chino Air Radio August 1975...

Comment

So, it's obvious what happened to Miss Suzy Q, unless she was salvaged somehow. But what has become of Miss Foxy Lady? She looks fast!

Comment

I believe the late John Crocker purchased it after Ken's passing and made it into SUMTHIN' ELSE, which has since been returned to stock form.

It now exists as a TF-51 named "Kentucky Babe".
                Last edited by AirDOGGe; 11-19-2009, 02:27 PM.

Comment

The remains of Suzy Q are in the Phoenix area. I helped take some things apart about 31 years ago.

Comment

..Jim Maloney's eyewitness statement to the FAA...

RECORD OF STATEMENT

The following is a record of statement by James Maloney, pilot of...P-51 N5441V, who was flying in formation with anouther P-51 N69QF, piloted by Mr. Kenneth G. Burnstine from Chino Airport...to Mojave Airport...on June 16, 1976.

This conversation was witnessed by Inspectors...(4)...from the FAA, GADO...Van Nuys...on June 16, 1976...

"I was in trail with him (Burnstine) overhead of Mojave at eight thousand feet (MSL), indicating 250 knots when Burnstine called over the radio he was going to full power and drop down on the race course. He pulled ahead of me and did a split "S" maneuver.

I knew he was going awful fast when he rolled over. I momentarily lost sight of him (Burnstine) but did see him pull out and do a complete roll (left) maneuver followed by a quarter roll (left) then hit the ground.

Through this last roll he (Burnstine) called on the radio and said, "No (pause), oh no!" that was all he said.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcraigarcher View Post
                      So, it's obvious what happened to Miss Suzy Q, unless she was salvaged somehow. But what has become of Miss Foxy Lady? She looks fast!
                      The Jim Larsen designed canopy/windscreen now resides on Galloping Ghost............
                      Last edited by t-dub; 11-19-2009, 05:43 PM.
                      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by sledge39 View Post
                        ..."Miss Suzy-Q" N69QF at Mojave '73...

..."Miss Foxy Lady" N70QF at Chino Air Radio August 1975...

The mustang to the left is Miss Francess John Crocker raced in that mustang that year. shawn

Comment

Thanks for the info, Hope I'm not asking for to much, but does anyone have pictures of Miss Foxy Lady, in the black paint scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by mmu2 View Post
                            Thanks for the info, Hope I'm not asking for to much, but does anyone have pictures of Miss Foxy Lady, in the black paint scheme?
                            Just use Google's image search tool. Here's a link to the pics you want:

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                              I believe the late John Crocker purchased it after Ken's passing and made it into SUMTHIN' ELSE, which has since been returned to stock form.

It now exists as a TF-51 named "Kentucky Babe".
                              Miss Suzie Q and Miss Foxy Lady are two different aircraft.
                              I believe Miss Foxy Lady was purchased by John Crocker and turned into Sumpthin Else. It is now owned and flown by Stallion 51 as Crazy Horse 2.

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                              X