Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jetting through the Grand Canyon in a T-33 (1959)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetting through the Grand Canyon in a T-33 (1959)

why do they always ruin it...

...with music. rarely will two people agree on the best music for a flying scene, why not just leave it out, then if you want to you can add your own big band soft hard heavy metal easy listening rock track to it....

Comment

Re: Jetting through the Grand Canyon in a T-33 (1959)

Been there - Done that - no comment ( but it was a sweet ride)

Comment

Holy cr@p, it's "Independence Day"!

And Joe Satriani can do no wrong.

$
        "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
        Martin Caidin

Comment

The music works for me, and the footage, though not the best quality, was simply awesome. What a ride that must have been.

P.S.....For those not pleased with "Joe-S", just pop in the CD or MP3 of choice and enjoy.

Comment

awesome

Comment

In the accompanying article Ron Dick's son Gary, who put together the video from Ron's footage, says, "As a lifelong supporter of the National Parks and a man with a keen interest in bird watching, Ron would definitely endorse the flight restrictions that ensure natural quiet in the parks today."

Oh sure, that’s because he already got to run the canyon!!!

Comment

That was wicked awsome! I loved the video and Joe Satriani is just icing on the cake.
                Tony

Comment

Very cool! Reminds me of the final run in on the Death Star in "Star Wars".

Comment

Re: why do they always ruin it...

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
                    ...with music. rarely will two people agree on the best music for a flying scene, why not just leave it out, then if you want to you can add your own big band soft hard heavy metal easy listening rock track to it....
                    "....I'd just rather you said thank you and got on with your day..." Jack Nicholson.

I flew tours over the Canyon for 9 months.
                    My dad tells stories of doing that in a T-Bird.
                    Never thought I'd actually see it.
                    Very cool footage.

Comment

What a gas, I am major jealous! At my dad's memorial several years ago, my uncle told a story of the two of them running the canyon both ways in a Stearman. Had to have been sometime in the 50s I think. Very cool.
                      Matt
                      Super Genius Rocket Scientist
                      NCAR Rocks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WASP-kid View Post
                        What a gas, I am major jealous! At my dad's memorial several years ago, my uncle told a story of the two of them running the canyon both ways in a Stearman. Had to have been sometime in the 50s I think. Very cool.
                        I came across the posts here and thought it was neat to find others who had tales of flights down the Grand Canyon. When I showed the video at the celebration of my Dad's life I closed by quoting an email from one of his fellow flying instructors which was pretty amusing - he said they were low enough to “throw up spray in the Grand Canyon and had to avoid the old cable that at one time moved a gondola or some such across part of it. We decided that, if we met aircraft coming toward us in the Canyon, we would maintain our altitude because the normal tendency would be to pull up. Later, at the Nellis Bar we asked the local pilots what they would do in such a circumstance… They said that they would maintain altitude because an opposing aircraft would likely pull up!!!”

............. Gary Dick

Comment

The problem with being a real good pilot is just that. You are "A" real good pilot. By definition you are not the only one. If you meet up with another real good pilot opposing you in the Grand Canyon. . . Well you roll facing the outer wall hang close and let him go by. Simple.
                          Now at 200 MPH you better be a real good pilot to think that fast as the other guy is closing at 400 MPH and just popped around the next corner.
                          I hope you have God on your side.
                          But could you imagine being the guy sitting there on the bank of the river with a video camera waiting on the off chance that two T-birds are going to meet right above you? They do it right, pass each other, you get it on film. You're thrilled at your prowess and you are jumping up and down and your buddy is there jumping up and down beside you and suddenly he says:
                          Man did you see that?
                          You didn't because you were making sure to got the shot. You missed a once in a life time sight because you were so cool that you were going to show it to everyone.
                          I 'm laughing because something like that happened to me at Reno this year. I was in the race crew box at the end of the T-hangars when Fat Albert flew down the ramp. I got it all on video and it looks cool, I remember feeling the wind as he flew less than 100 feet above my head and I had my face in the video camera. I didn't see it.
                          "boink" {hand hitting head} But I got it on video.
                          If I ever figure out how to put it on You Tube I will. No music. To me the sound of them 4 Allisons can't be beat by rock and roll or country.
                          Roger O'Day

Comment

That's the reason I don't take much anymore. I rarely have time to watch them, and a few years ago I realized I was missing the whole thing.

When I was a kid, hanging around Ontario a lot (Northrop and Lockheed flew out of there a bunch) we used to see all kinds of stunts. Low passes and such. Things that today would get you grounded or worse, and were exceptionally dangerous. As a kid, we just thought it all cool, and saw few accidents. The good old days I guess.
                            I remember the Air Guard F-106's used to scramble and seemed to hold them low on takeoff when there were watchers at the runway end. You could feel the AB heat as they passed over! Back in those days you could access the perimeter road that literally was at the runway end, the fence only a couple feet from the asphalt, and nothing on the departure but grape vines.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flyer57 View Post
                              If I ever figure out how to put it on You Tube I will. No music. To me the sound of them 4 Allisons can't be beat by rock and roll or country.
                              I have taken some flak on some of the chat sites for the music on the video - I realize it's a case of "to each his/her own" and some will like while others won't. It sounds like your video has sound and, being recorded from outside the aircraft, has the added benefit of the doppler effect on the engine noise as the aircraft goes by.

The Grand Canyon video was made on a wind up camera with no microphone (pictured in a B/W slide at the end of the movie) and the 1959 8mm film did not have any sound on it. If it had, I would surely have used it, even though the sound would have been recorded from inside the aircraft and not as dramatic as sound from outside.

So - for those who would prefer to see the movie in it's original form, there is always the mute button

Best wishes and many thanks to everyone for watching it! - Gary
                              Last edited by GaryD; 12-10-2009, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X