Air Classics Reno issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Classics Reno issue

Oh my god. I blew 8 bucks on this??????? Great pics, but a terrible, useless article I could have written way better myself (and I have- back in the day I covered the race in 1991). Absolutely no sidebars, or interviews or anything that filled me in with any kind of info I didn't get from being there or on AAFO or other sites. Oh for the days of Tegler or even the non Tegler articles of a few years back that had sidebars with some info. Don't waste your money, folks. At least it has a calendar for next year. When I finished reading it I just thought- " jesus, thats it?"
    Last edited by John H; 11-12-2009, 11:16 AM.

Re: Air Classics Reno issue

For all it's faults I am still a fan of AC as I have pretty much every issue from 1973 on, but I agree their coverage of the races has gotten pretty bad. In the old days they covered them in depth and took half an issue. Now it's a quick gloss-over and some pics. No story, none of the buildup to a finale. Disappointing.
    The calender IS cool though.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
      For all it's faults I am still a fan of AC as I have pretty much every issue from 1973 on, but I agree their coverage of the races has gotten pretty bad. In the old days they covered them in depth and took half an issue. Now it's a quick gloss-over and some pics. No story, none of the buildup to a finale. Disappointing.
      The calender IS cool though.
      Me too Leo, been following Jim Larsen from the beginning, as well as O'Leary, it just seems they could be a little more selective with the material, i really miss the lap by lap accounts from Sunday gold, though i'm sure some of those stories were injected with by-products, that's still better than non-meat-filler. I'd really like to see some of the shots that didnt make it to print, that said, i still and forever will look forward to "anything" that covers Reno
      Last edited by sierra fox; 11-12-2009, 02:42 PM.
      "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Air Classics I'm looking for. Leo, I wish I could see all those old issues.
        I'm a BIG Fan of O'Leary himself.

Comment

Bingo. When O Leary was doing the Reno articles- just a couple of years ago- they were still pretty good. That's really the problem- he isn't involved and wasn't there.

Comment

If your ever in Reno, I've got 6 moving boxes full of them! I noticed a local antique store was selling a 1982 issue for $7.00, the pressure has been on to sell them but I won't.
            I rarely go through them anymore but they are a GREAT source of abridged history about all this warbird stuff, and aiviation in general. I used to have sheets of cross referencing so I could note when a particular warbird popped up under new ownership, paint, crashed, etc. but have not kept up with it for at least the last 6 years.
            It used to be printed on a rough paper stock that doesn't age well, but those old issues were well written with a lot of good info, especially about the "recent" restorations. For years it was one of the few sources for a warbid buff.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I pretty much let all of my magazine subscriptions expire. Why pay for what you can get on the internet for free?

The last Air Classics Reno edition I read I recall the author complaining about modifying rare WWII aircraft for racing and he focused in on the stop drilling of cracks in the aircraft skins.

Haven't read A.C. since.

Comment

That's the problem with publications and this article. They need to offer something that I can't get on the net. All the magazines I do get offer me something not available on the internet. Nothing's ever going to take the place of reading my favorite magazines at my favorite restaurant.

John

Comment

Originally posted by uhhuh35 View Post
                  I pretty much let all of my magazine subscriptions expire. Why pay for what you can get on the internet for free?

The last Air Classics Reno edition I read I recall the author complaining about modifying rare WWII aircraft for racing and he focused in on the stop drilling of cracks in the aircraft skins.

Haven't read A.C. since.

That's what I was thinking. Perhaps they give low Reno coverage because of the lack of true original classic (meaning unmodified or non-homebuilt) hardware involved in the fastest (Gold) races. Air Progress would probably be a better and more appropriate mag for race coverage.

A.C. is more into the aircraft and it's history rather than current events.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                    That's what I was thinking. Perhaps they give low Reno coverage because of the lack of true original classic (meaning unmodified or non-homebuilt) hardware involved in the fastest (Gold) races. Air Progress would probably be a better and more appropriate mag for race coverage.

A.C. is more into the aircraft and it's history rather than current events.
                    Well right now there are a lot of current events covered. When a new warbird is restored and flown they cover it as a current event. Joining a WWII pilot with a warbird painted like his was is a current event. Covering an accident or damage from nature is a current event. Covering a B-17 making the hop over the pond is a current event. Strega, Dago Red, Czech Mate, and Furias have been racing for 25+ years, they are classics in my book, with Rare Bear, the Galloping Ghost even more so. IMHO.

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                    X