Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CATERPILLAR CLUB

My wife asked an interesting question:

Who is the most recent NCAR pilot of any class to have bailed out during a heat or final?

For as far as I know, Kevin Eldridge would be the latest Unlimited pilot, bouncing of the Super Corsair's empennage in Phoenix, March, 1994.

$
    Last edited by split-s; 10-24-2009, 02:54 PM. Reason: proofreading
    "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
    Martin Caidin

Re: CATERPILLAR CLUB

Originally posted by split-s View Post
    My wife asked an interesting question:

Who is the most recent NCAR pilot of any class to have bailed out during a heat or final?

For as far as I know, Kevin Eldridge would be the latest Unlimited pilot, bouncing of the Super Corsair's empennage in Phoenix, March, 1994.

$
    I could be wrong but I think Eldridge is the ONLY pilot to ever bail out during a heat race.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
      I could be wrong but I think Eldridge is the ONLY pilot to ever bail out during a heat race.

I think you are right

Comment

I suppose you have to be a rated parachutist to sit on a 'chute in a racer, no?

$
        Martin Caidin

Comment

No, but 14cfr 91.307 applies ('chute must be approved type and repacked in the last 180 days).

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
            yep.....at least in the current era of racing 1960 on

Comment

Of little use in F1 class, you can't achieve enough altitude to bail in an emergency.
              F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Originally posted by jhall@jetav.com View Post
                Of little use in F1 class, you can't achieve enough altitude to bail in an emergency.

Would a 'chute for the plane help?
                Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ebutner View Post
                  Would a 'chute for the plane help?
                  Not if you want to win, weight is everything when you are flying behind an O-200
                  F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

...plus, it would piss off the guys right behind you

Comment

Originally posted by jhall@jetav.com View Post
                      Or enough airspeed either. Or enough axial stability, glide angle, audience, sponsor or media interest ...

The Saab demo team almost made the F1s watchable. Almost.

$
                      Martin Caidin

Comment

LOL!

Or enough airspeed either. Or enough axial stability, glide angle, audience, sponsor or media interest ...

$
                        I generally don't mind the f1's, that being said the group has some of the most un-cooperative folks attached to it. nothing like a bunch of f1's stopped all over the taxi way while other larger aircraft are being launched!

Comment

Hummn... I know you flew the "joke" flag on that message... but.. I missed the Saab demo team due to being out on sticks shooting whatever was flying at that time.. that said, I have seen video of the demo and would very much like to see it...

I've watched the If1's from the stands, the sticks and from the pits... and I find them to be an extremely interesting class to watch. Their starts are nothing short of amazing!!!!!!

Just my take..

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: LOL!

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
                            I generally don't mind the f1's, that being said the group has some of the most un-cooperative folks attached to it. nothing like a bunch of f1's stopped all over the taxi way while other larger aircraft are being launched!
                            Let's not go there.

Comment

I found some of the F1 teams alot of fun even some cold beer. #69 team even brought their plane down to the "Warlock" pit on party night & one of them(not named) even did a pole dance on Eric Ms margarita wagons dance floor. Don't forget they are part of the air races & like me some of them don't have the big bucks like some of the unlimited guys. Loosen up on the F1s & Biplanes. Have fun.
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X