Souvenirs, Souvenirs ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Souvenirs, Souvenirs ...

Race enthusiasts picking the bones of "Red Baron's" mangled airframe inspired this thread, so even if my inaugural post may seem off-topic, the thread will probably veer right back onto the reservation.
    ?
    I own (although I don't currently possess) the throttle-handle off an F-86D. I know because I clipped it out of the cockpit myself ca. 1977.

$
    "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
    Martin Caidin

Re: Souvenirs, Souvenirs ...

I have one of the original aluminum spinners off the pond, from the build. There were two of them but I only have the one. They were mostly used for the mockup but hung on the airplane until the engines were installed, when they were replaced with composite ones.

Comment

I have a spark plug from the Red Baron RB-51.

I also have this part of the other "Red Baron"

I have a couple 4360 parts and my uncle has a whole 4360.

Comment

What, the banjo?
        Martin Caidin

Comment

At The Nag Banquiet Dwight Thorn used to give away his piston as door prizes my das has a couple. Shawn

Comment

Are racers and their pit-bulls good about dispensing used spark-plugs to fans? For a $30 pit pass, it would be nice to come away with a souvenir for once.

$
            Martin Caidin

Comment

Originally posted by split-s View Post
              Are racers and their pit-bulls
              Just blew a bit of SNPA out my nose on that one!

Wondering if the crews would like that term or not (likely, yes) "Pit Bull".. good one!

I know some teams have sold worn out plugs and other parts to help ends meet.. I'm always thinking that a few bucks for something that is, otherwise, useless, would be a good thing and for the average Joe hitting the pits, an additional 5-10 bux would not be that big of a deal to take home a part of the sport..
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                Just blew a bit of SNPA out my nose on that one!
                Wondering if the crews would like that term or not (likely, yes) "Pit Bull"..
                Ah.........my vote.......NO!

Comment

In the mid 80's there was an old beat-up A-4 airframe with concrete-filled wings sitting out on it's belly on a hardtop in the middle of the runways at Stead, along with an old rusted bus among other things, no doubt for firefighting practice or something.

One night we snuck out through the fenceline (just a barbed wire picket fence back then) and checked it out. I remember sitting in the 'pit and removing a yellow/black striped access door maybe 3x4 inches in size. Don't have it anymore though.

Comment

What, the banjo?
                    no that is Kermit Weeks'

Comment

Are racers and their pit-bulls good about dispensing used spark-plugs to fans? For a $30 pit pass, it would be nice to come away with a souvenir for once.

$
                      They used to sell them for a couple of bucks, now they're quite a bit more than that.

Jarrod

Comment

Everyone seems to have some large, very nice pieces of the Red Baron. Does the Planes of Fame museum sell them?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                          In the mid 80's there was an old beat-up A-4 airframe with concrete-filled wings sitting out on it's belly on a hardtop in the middle of the runways at Stead, along with an old rusted bus among other things, no doubt for firefighting practice or something.

One night we snuck out through the fenceline (just a barbed wire picket fence back then) and checked it out. I remember sitting in the 'pit and removing a yellow/black striped access door maybe 3x4 inches in size. Don't have it anymore though.
                          Did you notice the big J-79 engine shipping tube next to it with the big radioactive symbol painted on the far end? Yowsers!
                          Bill Garnett
                          InterstellarDust
                          Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

[I coined the term "Orchestra-Pit-Bulls" in a script I wrote some years ago. Seemed appropriate in that context.]

The '86D was a derelict abandoned near the front door of the Guard armory at Walker-Long Field (HTS), next to a Sherman tank. It was eventually dragged out between the runways and torched for a firefighting drill.

The Sabre's canopy had lost its plexiglass so access to the cockpit was easy. I got run off the grounds by a couple of Guardsmen but not before I'd stuffed the throttle in my jacket and my tools down my sock. Wish I'd known back then to get the serial or construction number off the airframe.

I'd have taken the joystick if I could have. Someone eventually did.

[You mean Kermit Weeks, the famous bluegrass banjo player?! ]

$
                            Last edited by split-s; 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM.
                            Martin Caidin

Comment

"WHAT PRICE SPEED?" - A few UNLTD Mustang Air Racer relics:

Champion racing spark plug from #69 Jeannie's Reno '79 Record Q-Run, chunk of RR Merlin engine case off the Reno '82 Hovey 'Gold Motor' from John Crocker's P-51D #6 Sumthin' Else, mixed-in w/various & sundry Reno '79 crash smithereens from #5 Red Baron RB-51's airframe & its' RR Mod. 57 Griffon engine...

DBD
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X