PARROT HEAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PARROT HEAD

Though the Lockheed P-38 Lightning will always be my absolute favorite airplane of all, I've always felt that if I ever could afford to own & fly a restored classic WW2 fighter, it would definately have to be a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, for lotsa reasons.

Before I started enjoying the wonderful experience of watching P-40s flying at airshows & racing at Reno, like many other young kids keen on WW2 aviation history- I flew them alot in my dreams. And when I did, I'm positive my grin () as a vicarious fighter pilot, was almost as wide as the sharkmouth painted on the nose. The Flying Tigers were my childhood heroes & God Is My Co-Pilot was my favorite war movie. I must've built a whole squadron's worth of P-40 scale models over the years. Someday, I hope I can at least get a ride in a real one.

In May 2009, my pal Rick & I flew down to Chino for the annual Planes of Fame Airshow, and we were thrilled to watch three P-40s flying together in formation: POF's N-model (NL85104) in its' splendid new Checkertail Clan color scheme, Tony Banta's awesome Kittyhawk- resplendant as a classic AAF OD/NG-finished Shark-mouthed E-model Warhawk (NX940AK) & the Paul Family's newly-refinished 'Parrot Head'-nosed N-model (NL1195N), based in Nampa, Idaho.

We both were blown away by Parrot Head's bold unique look, both on the ground & in the air, AND- then later getting to see BOTH the Paul Family's P-40s (Parrot Head & their E-model Kittyhawk-N94466) racing around the pylons this year at Reno by Chino Kid-John Maloney, and rookie- John-Curtiss Paul, was an absolute hit & a joy to behold! JCP's flying job in Parrot Head really rocked & impressed many fans (& competitors!).

Here's a Reno '09 Parrot Head mini-gallery for your viewing pleasure, presented in appreciation to everyone associated w/racing the Paul Family's P-40s this year. THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!!

DBD

Top row photos (L-R):

1. $-'Wagering on Wings'-$... "Okay, Big Guy, I'LL keep doin' all the thinkin' fer BOTH of us- How 'bout that BIG PAYOFF on Heat-3C? Now, you just keep doin' the talkin' & call-in our next bet. This time- you be sure & tell 'em to- put ALL the money on #17 Parrot Head for tomorrow's- Sunday Silver Race, got that?"
    2 - 5. Sunday- 9/13/09 - Practice Day static, taxi & takeoff.

Middle row photos (L-R):

1. Fri. 9/18/09- UNL HT-2C - John Maloney in P-40E #18 Sneak Attack leads John-Curtiss Paul in P-40N #17 'Parrot Head' approaching Outer Pylon 7.
    2. Tue. 9/15/09- Practice & Qualifying - JCP flies Parrot Head in tight, going around Outer 7.
    3. Thur. 9/16/09- UNL HT-1B - Close-cropped shot of Race #17 going by Outer 6 Pylon, finishing 4th @ 313.966-av/mph.
    4. Outer 7 Pylon's- 'Low-flying Flamingo' is on the lookout...
    5. Fri. 9/18/09- UNL HT-2C - P-Head turns P-7 in 6th-place (311.315-av/mph).

Bottom row (L-R):

1. Sun. 9/20/09- UNL SILVER - #17 is seen rounding P-6 & running in last place.
    2. Sun. 9/20/09- UNL SILVER - JCP & Parrot Head taking Outer 6 Pylon tight, to head down the V-O-S ('Valley of Speed').
    3. P-40N #17 in the 'dirty configuration' on final for landing...
    4. Sun. 9/20/09- RARA Awards Banquet - Rookie race pilot- John-Curtiss Paul smiles from the stage, after accepting his UNLIMTED SILVER trophy for last place (9th), from 2010 Miss Reno Rodeo- Ms. Lauren Neil.
    5. POST-RACE AFTERMATH (Behind the scenes)... "AWWWK!!! What'ya mean- our bird came in last & WE LOST EVERYTHING?!? A- #%*!- 'DQ'?!?! How can you disqualify a parrot fer- 'low-flyin', anyway?!? That race HAD to be rigged fer sure!!! DON'T say another word, or I'll..."
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 12-17-2009, 10:19 PM.

Re: PARROT HEAD

Hi Bucky,

All I can say is WOW! Thank you from myself and the whole Gang at the Warhawk Air Museum that worked so hard all week........Great shots.

We really need to get a picture of your Parrot with my Parrot!

You ought to make a trip to Boise for one of our flying Events in 2010 and maybe we can do something about that P-40 ride for you.

JC

Comment

Hi John-Curtiss-

You're very welcome - the pleasure was all mine, getting to take pictures of two gorgeous P-40s, flown by two great pilots around the pylons. Thanks for the kind compliments & I'll have to take you up on your generous invite to visit Nampa (makes me wonder if my great air racing friends- Joe & Bev Harmon are still residing there to look up & visit at the same time - Joe crewed for Lefty Gardner's P-38 for many years).

Come on up to Alaska one of these summers for some fishin' & flyin'!

Keep 'Em Flyin' - J-C!!! Hope you continue w/air racing & we appreciate what you all bring to the- 'Fastest of Motorsports'!

DBD

Comment

Hey Bucky, I hope you don't mind me taggin' on to your thread, but i wanted to throw in a few of my favorite "Parrothead" pics from this year also. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Paul family's P-40's bending the pylons this year, THANK YOU JOHN FOR THE EXPERIENCE! Because of people like you, we get to see something that a lot of people just dream about! The diversity this year was absolutely AWESOME, thanks to people like you, Dave Morss, Doug Mathews, and Tom Camp. Hope you come back next year! (L to R):
        1. 9/12/09 - "Parrothead" right after arriving at Reno.
        2. 9/13/09 - John taxis "Parrothead" out for some Sunday flying.
        3. 9/13/09 - John and "Parrothead" leave the runway for some in the air "fun".
        4. 9/20/09 - John and "Parrothead" blast down the "Valley of Speed" during the Silver race on Sunday afternoon.
        Attached Files
        "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Hey t-dub -

'Mind'? - I was hopin' you WOULD! (Hope more site-goers share their comments & photo offerings to all the interesting threads on this board - 'Variety's The Spice of Life', as the time-worn cliche' goes...)

I REALLY like your first photo comp., w/cockpit instrument details showing to frame the parrot nose art. That one's- 'Top Shelf', man!

DBD

Comment

Thanks Don. That really means a lot to me hearing that from you! Your work is an inspiration to a lot of us! Can't wait till next year!

Comment

Great stuff, Buck...

Great people, too. Here's a favourite of mine from Reno:

Comment

Bucky, t-dub and Neal,

You guys are awesome.......thank you so much for the support and kind words. We had a great time and it's really nice to hear how much our efforts are appreciated... SO ARE YOURS! These photos are amazing! It really does take a village.

JC

Comment

Thank you JC! You bring the airplanes, and we'll take the pictures...

The fans loved the Hawks.

Neal

Comment

3 more:

and it can't be wrong to add a few of #18:

Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

[QUOTE=wingman;75745]Thank you JC! You bring the airplanes, and we'll take the pictures...

The fans loved the Hawks.

Neal

[quote] What Neal said! Thanks for bringing your toys to Reno for all of us to enjoy! Hope to see you again next year JC!

Comment

Even though Unlimited Class race pilot- John-Curtiss Paul was a rookie this year at Reno '09 NCAR, it should be duly-noted for the newer race fans that- the Paul Family's P-40N Race #17 Parrot Head (NL1195N) is a veteran Unlimited racer.

She was raced previously as #17 Spud Lag, w/the late & great Fred Sebby as her race pilot at Reno '87, '88 & '89. John Maloney took over the racing duties for Reno '90 & '91. At Reno '92, John Qualified #17 & Steve Hinton was race pilot that year. Spud Lag was raced at Reno '95 by Tom Camp.

Following are a few photos of #17 Spud Lag, from her earlier racing campaigns, which are a good comparison w/current photos of this N-model refinished in the Parrot Head nose art motif to show the huge different appearances of- 'dead stock' WW2 Olive Drab & Neutral Gray vs. the colorful enhancement:

Photos (L-R):

1. & 2. Sun. 9/13/87: Owner/pilot- John Paul arrives at Stead Field w/his P-40N entered to race it's first time in the Unlimited Class as Race #17 'Spud Lag', with Fred Sebby as the race pilot.

3. Thur. 9/17/87- UNL HT-1C: Fred Sebby turns Outer 8 Pylon in Spud Lag, leading Guido Zuccoli in his rare Merlin-powered Italian Fiat G59 'Ciao Bella' (finishing 3rd & 4th-place, respectively).

4. Sun. 9/17/89- RARA Awards Banquet: The late & great warbird pilot- Fred Sebby heads onto the stage to collect his 5th-Place Unlimited Bronze Race Trophy won flying #17 Spud Lag. (Note: Sadly, it was to be Fred's last race, as he passed-away in May 1990. Memories of Sebby as- great friend, fellow pilot, artist, musician, comedian, & 'The Perennial Teenager' endure)

5. Sun. 9/15/91- UNL BRONZE: John Maloney takes #17 by Outer 8 low & tight to the delight of race fans. Unfortunately, John got moved to last place & fined $200 for crossing the Deadline in Spud Lag.

DBD
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X