poor radio ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poor radio ed

ive been hearing all these people talking on the radio lately and its driving me nuts.someone please tell me when we started puttind the word "and" in front of everything we say,people are checking in and saying "and center cessna 123ds checking in 4000".the ds stands for dip s#$%.people are also getting on and they say ahhhhhhh ahhhhh more than they are talking. its getting to where my bloodpress is going up every time i fly now, i just want to tell them shut up and get traing from someone a little more exp.last one "traffic this is a 1989 red and white citation ultra 123ds five mile nw gonna enter the 45 for rw whocares for the left downwind ,moms maiden name is frank ,any other traffic please advise".and this happens on every leg of the pattern ,If they would just shut up again and let the other airplanes in the pattern talk they would be advised.someone please tell me this isnt just bothering me.

Re: poor radio ed

I hate to point fingers but that is an instuctor failure. None of the instructors I know or have flown with would put up with long TX. I hear students often, that I am pretty sure have an instructor right seat, making those type of calls.

It doesn't bother me so much on Center as it does on the common freqs. like 122.8. It really sucks trying to get a call in with traffic sighted and someone making calls at another airport is getting long winded.

I am pretty sure the REG reads short and consise reports.

Comment

A couple that I cant stand are the "any conflicting traffic please advise" --- No really?

And the other is "so and so traffic this is cessna 172 bla bla bla, we are 52 miles out for landing at bla bla bla" then its followed by the above again,, makes me want to puke..

Comment

My son learned to fly helicopters in Long Beach. Had to cross different controllers air space every day. Kept chatter to a minimum when I rode with him.

Comment

Ahh- Philip, my pet peeve is guys who make traffic patterns so gigantic they probably should be filing an international flight plan. None of them could make the runway if the engine burps.
          I also cannot believe some (one in particular) formula one pilots who, after thrashing their Cessna 150 engines at 4400 rpm for 8 laps, decide it is ok to make a long flat dragged in final from a mile out. I just hung around on downwind until I could make a power off 180 to the runway.
          cheers, knotty guy.....Zip

Comment

Tally ho, no joy, couple of quirks that bug me, also reporting altitude incorrectly, ie: thrity eight hundred feet....instead of properly saying three thousand eight hundred......something else that bugs me is to have someone report over a landmark......except they aren't there.......what they're reporting over, is actually what they're seeing over the nose of the plane 5 miles away........oh ya, and another.......controlling speed on the ground with brakes instead of the throttle (s).........AHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh. I always ask the pilot if he drives his car with his foot on the accelerator and the other foot on the brake AHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh......ok, taking a chill pill here now
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
              Tally ho, no joy, couple of quirks that bug me,
              Why are those 'quirks'? That's procedurally correct terminology for military folks, and plenty of controllers and pilots came from there. I have 2,000 hours using that terminology...do you think that I'm going to stop using it when I hang up the helmet for a headset? Not very likely.

My pet peeve on the radio is "with you".

"Center, Toothache 31 with you climbing to three five zero"
              Last edited by Randy Haskin; 10-20-2009, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Must be a fixed wing thing. Just kidding all

Comment

Originally posted by team zipper View Post
                  Ahh- Philip, my pet peeve is guys who make traffic patterns so gigantic they probably should be filing an international flight plan.
                  FWIW, traffic patterns that are performed within gliding distance of the runway are pretty much a General Aviation thing only.

Also, gliding distance differs significantly between aircraft. The jet I'm in now's gear speed is 240 knots, and I fly the base turn at something over 180 knots. That means my normal downwind leg is over 1NM from centerline. Halfway through the base leg, I'm almost 1.5 NM away from the end of the runway.

Comment

Yes, it's correct for military......but NOT for civilian.........I don't care if you use it in the military, but if you fly civilian, use correct phraseolgy........most pilots that use that, are trying to sound "kewl", thinking they're headed for Top Gun school.........2000 hours........keep going, you'll catch me in another 30 years or so......maybe.........and that doesn't mean I have all the answers.......I don't.......hours and experience count.....but I've found that attitude is more important.......a a pilot with the right attitude and strieves to do it right.......generally will..........and that includes correct radio phraseology too. Say what you want........I'm just one little ole pilot, and even if it's a quirk, I can live with it.
                    Brian

Comment

You suppose some of these folk learned their commo discipline on a CB radio?

$
                      "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                      Martin Caidin

Comment

oh hell what did i start here, i do believe exp is the key to this whole thing. I have 10,000 hrs flyin around alaska and lower 48, does that mean I have answers........no....it just means ive heard alot of stupid sh#$ in that time.the problem is like you said a lower time guy trying to sound like a more exp guy that said it wrong to start with,the problem here is that the lower time fellas that are trying to sound cool are the same people teaching america and other 3rd world countries to fly and talk on the radio,so you have a 300 hr wonder teaching ,that was taught by a 300hr wonder..so on and so on. now the fix. start telling people they are wrong......dont do that......that is stupid....you should prob drive a truck....... ,i think you get my point here. then maybe we get guys flying again and not just trying to sound like pilots, cause face it most of what are coming out of most of these flight schools cant fly there way out of a wet paper box. ok i feel better thanks

Comment

For the record, I heard a United call up Calgary approach with "and" earlier tonight

Comment

Yes, it's correct for military......but NOT for civilian.........I don't care if you use it in the military, but if you fly civilian, use correct phraseolgy........most pilots that use that, are trying to sound "kewl", thinking they're headed for Top Gun school.
                            The FAA Pilot-Controller glossary isn't regulatory, so where is it that it says that "tally" and "nojoy" aren't correct phraseology?

2000 hours........keep going, you'll catch me in another 30 years or so
                            Wasn't a measuring contest (but thanks for weighing in on how inexperienced I am) -- I was saying that my radio verbiage is a habit pattern that I have developed over many cycles of the gear handle, and simply switching who owns the airplane I'm flying in isn't going to change that habit pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by ezetom View Post
                              For the record, I heard a United call up Calgary approach with "and" earlier tonight
                              this is what I meant about the low hr guy hearing the high time guy say it wrong ,and then the low time guy copies it the wrong way forever, and then passes it on to new students.I dont know where it all came from, I think they want to hear themselfs in the mic before they start talkin. the fix is the same......tell the aa guy stop.....dont do that.....its stupid.....you should drive a truck instead of airplanes....your commin in broken and stupid, over..........or beat the hell out of the low time guy and be done, airline pilots are hard headed i think,so get to them before the become one and introduce them to the seductive,darkside of the force known as airracing.this has been theripudic for me, I know im not alone now.

Comment

Working...
                              X