RIFF RAFF SCHEME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIFF RAFF SCHEME

Maybe it's partly-'cuz I'm an old Chicago boy, but as far as Racin' Sea Furies go- I'm proud to count myself among the large fan roster of- Race #99 'RIFF RAFF ROOTERS'.

Owner/pilot- Mike Keenum's Chitown-area based TEAM RIFF RAFF has been consistently competing in the Unlimited Class at Reno since 1998 (being first-entered the prev. year), and is comprised of many talented folks, w/one of the best all-around pilots in the world: former NASA Space Shuttle astronaut- Robert L. 'Hoot' Gibson, as #99's primary race driver.

These guys are TOTALLY-SERIOUS about competitive air racing, and often find themselves in Sunday's Unlimited Gold Final event. At the same time, this team is pretty cool & fun to be around, and quite fan-friendly. Gibson even straps on an electric guitar & has been seen jammin' w/the likes of The Byrds' leader- Roger McGuinn (another former Chicagoan).

Needless to say- loyal RIFF RAFF fans have been both joyful & relieved in noting the owner's attempts at selling his beautiful & fast Hawker fighter have been unsuccessful to date, & the racer is still racing at Reno. This year Keenum surprised fans by arriving at Stead Field on Fri. 9/11/09 flying-in w/#99 recently repainted in a totally-stunning new racing paint scheme for RIFF RAFF & his team garnered a 6th-place finish in Sunday's UNLTD GOLD @ 435.372-av/mph (behind Matt Jackson in the Sanders' R-4360 #8Dreadnought) w/Hoot Gibson flying.

Here's a Reno '09 NCAR mini-photo gallery tribute to Mike Keenum's TEAM RIFF RAFF, in appreciation for all their wonderful air racing efforts & mucho goodwill towards us fans (-who just love watching this classy bunch doin' it- 'Chicago-style' at Reno).

MANY THANKS & Best of Luck in the future, guys! So, let's hear it for- The 'OTHER' great new Unlimited air racer paint color scheme this year at Reno!!!

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 10-15-2009, 04:19 PM.

Re: RIFF RAFF SCHEME

You made my day!! Yummy

Comment

Great shots. I noticed something however. Isn't Riff Raff running a 3350? How come it doesn't have the scoop sitting on top of the cowling like all the rest? It makes for a cleaner look, the way the Sea Fury was meant to look with the Centarus. Are they running a different induction system?

The new paint looks great. I never was a fan of the old paint job, but this one is great. The old red and white scheme was kinda, well, not all that inspiring (for lack of a better way to put it.)

Its always cool to see Sea Furys rounding the pylons.

Will

Comment

what kind of prop is riff raff using??

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
          Great shots. I noticed something however. Isn't Riff Raff running a 3350? How come it doesn't have the scoop sitting on top of the cowling like all the rest? It makes for a cleaner look, the way the Sea Fury was meant to look with the Centarus. Are they running a different induction system?

The new paint looks great. I never was a fan of the old paint job, but this one is great. The old red and white scheme was kinda, well, not all that inspiring (for lack of a better way to put it.)

Its always cool to see Sea Furys rounding the pylons.

Will
          It is a 3350 with a Corsair prop. They have tried in the past with a Skyraider scoop up top but it wasn't successful in fact I think they almost lost it one year? The only ones that have a scoop on top currently flying are Spirit of Texas and Dreadnought.

Comment

In appreciation of Bucky's fine work and contributions to the sport we all love, here's a shot of him this year upon Riff Raff's arrival, getting "another great shot" for the archives. Thanks for all you do Bucky, it is greatly appreciated by us all! Troy
            Attached Files
            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by steve D View Post
              The only ones that have a scoop on top currently flying are Spirit of Texas and Dreadnought.
              Dreadnought has a 4360 (of course, we all know that).

Comment

The new paint is great! Looks 20 knots faster.

Don

Go Bear!

Comment

Working...
                X