Family Asks For Help To Rebuild 'Tsunami'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Asks For Help To Rebuild 'Tsunami'

Found this in our news cycle tonight. I know this is the place with the most appreciative fans.

Foundation Looks To Restore What Was The First Homebuilt Air Racer Since 1939
    Mike S
    www.indyairshow.com
    www.indytransponder.com

Re: Family Asks For Help To Rebuild 'Tsunami'

"Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
    Martin Caidin

Comment

I don't understand why this is news...they've been asking for $$ for years to rebuild Tsunami.

Comment

I'm surprised there was enough to salvage. Hard to imagine keeping all that scrap in storage for all these years.

$
        Martin Caidin

Comment

I suspect they'll just use the old airframe remains as a sample for patterns. I don't think remaining metal is structually sound enough anymore, but then I haven't seen what was left of it.

EDIT: I retract my words. I guess they do not intend to fly it anymore, much less race.
          Last edited by AirDOGGe; 10-05-2009, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I bought a shirt at the races, but was left with more questions than answers. The lady manning the both told me they were trying to raise $70k to open the container and inventory what was in there. She did say they had some of the original tooling and jigs, but didn't seem to know what was left of the airplane. I suspect not much usable.

I was hoping they planned to race it. The web site leads me to believe not. It will fly but not race.
            Last edited by Bill@Interstell; 10-05-2009, 09:07 PM.
            Bill Garnett
            InterstellarDust
            Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

In the first few minutes of Skyfire's "Last Flight of Tsunami" they show a black and white photo of the wreckege (even though the announcer said they weren't going to do that). In that picture, it really didn't look all that un-rebuildable (is that even a word)? Given the state of a lot of warbird crashes that have been rebuilt, surly there's a future for Tsunami. She was certainly fast! Wouldn't it make more sence to build a new one from the drawing that exist and just incorporate some of the mods that made her fly better?

Race 29
              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I'd be all over a project to get it "new" plane racing. I'd donate and even look for ways to volunteer to directly help. Not sure this plan for basically a "tribute" gets me excited.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

I'd incorporate more substantial landing gear (!) and new empennage providing more vertical area and rounding off the harsh angles in its profile.

$
                  Attached Files
                  Martin Caidin

Comment

Originally posted by split-s View Post
                    I'd incorporate more substantial landing gear (!) and new empennage providing more vertical area and rounding off the harsh angles in its profile.
                    Interesting video, thanks for posting that.

Comment

Originally posted by split-s View Post

$
                      How about putting the fueltanks into wings like in the original plan ?

Here is my Tsunami version.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Last edited by First time Juke; 10-11-2009, 05:17 AM. Reason: youtube video added.
                      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I helped pick her up from a hole in the ground, transport it to a hangar, put it back together as much as possible. Helped the investigative-engineer find the reason it crashed.
                        They may find a few bolts and screws and maybe a pump or two-oh yes the tailwheel to start putting it back together.
                        There isn't any part of that airplane that isn't bent or destrpyed.

Comment

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

Enter a date range including the date of the accident (9/25/91) and "39JR" in the Registration field. The synopsis and PDFs of the accident report ("chapter and verse") may be viewed. Below is the FAA's info page on Tsusie.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...Numbertxt=39JR

$
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by split-s; 10-13-2009, 11:30 PM. Reason: Additional info
                          Martin Caidin

Comment

Working...
                          X