Purse $$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purse $$

I'm curious.....how big was the total purse? Years ago, they should to disclose it, seems like it's a guarded secret now. I remember the first year I went to Reno, the total purse for all the races was $25,000........I think that was 1968 or so. How much is 1st place for the unlimiteds? Does anyone have a breakdown of the different classes? Thanks
    Brian

as Bob Love used to say...

.."racing for SPARK PLUGS"....we don't do it for the money thats for sure!

Comment

Re: Purse $$

how many spark plugs in the jet?????
      bob burns
      ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
      "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Originally posted by tow-3 View Post
        ...in terms of money...........MANY

Comment

Originally posted by tow-3 View Post
          Well, I seem to remember 3 really large sparks in the 2000 demo jet race, maybe they had a spark plug somewhere in there
          TomL

Comment

Originally posted by TomL View Post
            Well, I seem to remember 3 really large sparks in the 2000 demo jet race, maybe they had a spark plug somewhere in there
            TomL
            Well played sir!

That year was one of the very few I have missed. They made sure I regretted it!

Comment

So... why is it a secret?

Comment

Same reason you never know what the NASCAR race drivers make just the toatal winnings. They use to give the checks out at the awards dinner on Sunday nite but now only watches & trophys. No ones business but the IRS I guess.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                  Same reason you never know what the NASCAR race drivers make just the toatal winnings. They use to give the checks out at the awards dinner on Sunday nite but now only watches & trophys. No ones business but the IRS I guess.
                  NASCAR lists the total winnings by each driver on their web page. NASCAR.com
                  Formula 1 does the same, so do most motor sports.
                  RARA can do as they please, its their game.
                  just sayin...

Comment

We talk about this every year.

Why do you need to know how much each race team takes home? If they tell you ... will you tell them how much $$ you make each year?

It's no one's business - except the one writing the checks and the ones cashing the checks.

Just know one thing for certain, not one team makes enough to support their efforts.

Now, back to drinking and airplanes.

Comment

All I can tell you is NONE of us come to Reno for the money... In fact almost every entrant in the races SPENDS their OWN money to come!

Comment

Seems pretty cheesy to me in light of all the other "sports" out there.

Comment

I think most people think that RARA makes buckets of money off the races, i bet the lose a little(to alot) every year. I bet the only one who makes anything is the insurance companies.

Comment

The total purse has not been cut. RARA usually proves that it is a Non-Profit organizatio by the time all the bills are paid.
                            There is a formula, among the various classes, that distributes the money allotted to each race/class. Everyone recognizes it is only a drop in the bucket compared to what a team spends on rooms, food, etc; not to mention the cost of building/repairing engines, etc. And the parties they throw.
                            Many years ago (1985-6) we raced in my town. We did not give money prizes, only trophies to the winners, and plaques to all. We did pay their hotel and food, as well as wining and dining them in our homes. These were IF-1's, who were known to race for "money, marbles, or chalk". Things were not as expensive then, but we sure had a lot of fun.
                            Betty
                            PS: we were a not for profit, and went out of business after the second year of racing.
                            Last edited by ShermB; 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                              I think most people think that RARA makes buckets of money off the races, i bet the lose a little(to alot) every year. I bet the only one who makes anything is the insurance companies.
                              If they lost money every year, there would be no races. Where would the money come from? They definately make some sort of profit. They might take a bath on occasion, but the trend is positive. Simple business there.

One thing is for sure, what Tiger or any other winner takes home on Sunday is far less that what it would cost to rebuild a smoked motor, let alone the out of pocket expenses to field a team. Purely racing just for the passion of it, and thats a shame. I wish there were more money in it. Maybe then we'd see more all out efforts.

I say it every year, but my hat is off to these guys who spend their own cash, roll the dice and come play for our enjoyment. Enjoy it while it lasts.
                              Red
                              chanting...400+

Comment

Working...
                              X