OV-10 Bronco coming back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OV-10 Bronco coming back?

Boeing is hoping that a counterinsurgency aircraft designed during the Vietnam War can be reborn to meet the U.S. Air Force's growing irregular warfare requirements.

The company is offering an updated OV-10 Bronco to meet the Air Force's Light Attack Armed Reconnaissance (LAAR) specification, and believes the design could perform some of the companion Light Mobility Aircraft's (LiMA) requirements.

The proposed new-build OV-10(X) would stick close to the 1970s-vintage OV-10D aerodynamically and structurally to ensure its original military qualification remains valid, but would feature updated avionics, sensors and engines, says Dave Schweppe, business development director for Boeing's global strike systems division.

"We have one small challenge; we are not in production," Schweppe says. "But that is also a strength as we are not tied to a location. We can build it anywhere." Boeing can convert the existing paper drawings to digital solid models and restart production in time to meet the Air Force's plan to begin procurement in fiscal 2010, he says.

Re: OV-10 Bronco coming back?

Always loved that a/c.

$
    "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
    Martin Caidin

Comment

Praise the Lord! Perfect for this new war. Low and slow in the hands of a well trained aviator. Git 'r done.

Comment

Personally, I wish they would bring back and build the Enforcer instead. It's a much better looking airplane, and just plain looks cooler!

Comment

Since we're going retro, why not haul out the Skyraider?

Comment

I always liked that plane as well. I was stationed at Osan AB when they had a few squadrons of em. The thing I remember most is that the landing gear looked like it was ready to collapse!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
              Since we're going retro, why not haul out the Skyraider?
              Because its the ugliest aircraft known to man!!!

No disrespect to it though. I know it handled it's business very well. But damn its ugly!

Comment

I like the Bronco too, having built a model of it in the 60's and having it hanging by threads from my bedroom ceiling between a P-38 and a F-104 Starfighter brings back fond memories from my childhood.

Somehow, it just looks "right".

Though the Enforcer is an awesome machine too and may look cooler to some folk, I'm not sure "coolness" is one of the Air Force's LAAR specifications.

heh-heh
                Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-24-2009, 02:18 PM.

Comment

They did the same thing with the Douglas A26 Invader, only they were refurbishing them as On Mark B26Ks (I think that was the designation.) Same reason, different war. Odd looking plane, but very cool. If you absolutely need to both land and take off from pretty much anywhere, the OV-10 is the way to go.

OV-10s are cool. I was out for a mountain bike ride in San Luis Obispo a few years back and one of the CDF spotter OV-10s came over the ridge line at about 30 feet off the deck. I so wish I had a camera for that.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                    Though the Enforcer is an awesome machine too and may look cooler to some folk, I'm not sure "coolness" is one of the Air Force's LAAR specifications.

heh-heh
                    I believe that "coolness" was in the specifications for the JSF. Not that it was a hard decision looks wise between the X-32 and X-35.

Comment

but.....

please re-engine it with PT 6A's

Comment

Re: but.....

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
                        please re-engine it with PT 6A's

The article I quoted included this text:

"The baseline OV-10(X) proposal uses updated versions of the Bronco's original T76 (Honeywell TPE331) turboprops, but trade studies of alternative off-the-shelf engines continue."

So, it COULD happen....

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                          Because its the ugliest aircraft known to man!!!

No disrespect to it though. I know it handled it's business very well. But damn its ugly!
                          It had a functional beauty.
                          $
                          "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                          Martin Caidin

Comment

The PT-6 would be a HORRIBLE engine for the OV-10 as would any non fixed shaft engine. Throttle resposnse would be non-existent in tactical situations, In fact the T-76 uses Hamilton Standard props and the fuel control, beta valve and prop governor is totally different than the Hartzell stuff in the civil TPE-331. In the OV-10 the condition levers basically just control the underspeed governor and the engines are only run under 100% rpm when going cross country. The USAF airplanes were pretty underpowered (715 shp each) while the Marine airplanes, although much heavier with avionics and chin turret, had 1049 shp engines which would be the way to go. The engines are very rugged, I've seen turbine wheels with about 20% of the blade tips burned off but the only write up was low torque. The fault with the engines (and where the PT-6 is probably better) is their tendency to overtemp, especially during battery starts and also hot weather takeoffs but hopefully newer engines will mitigate that. Also they can't take negative g as the props lose oil pressure and try to feather which also leads to over temps.

Ron Henning
                            Former USAF OV-10A IP and FCF pilot, 1700 hours
                            Former Metro II pilot, TPE-331, 400 hours
                            Ron Henning

Comment

Donīt forget that the OV-10, besides all mentioned, transports troops also.

Comment

Working...
                              X