First FW 190 engine start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First FW 190 engine start

FW190A-8 Werknummer 173056 quickly roared to life Sept. 21, 2009 after 8 1/2 years of restoration work on the four major components of 173056: Tail, fuselage...

Re: First FW 190 engine start

That's impressive! I'm assuming it's intended for that plane to become airworthy? Who owns it?

Comment

Totally awesome. Any reason why they used a Russian Ash82T rather than some American engine? Obviously the BMW 801 is unobtainium but I would think having a R-2600 or something would greatly increase the talent pool for the engine here in the US. I have no idea about the availability of the Ash82T but I would think it be be more difficult to own/operate compared to a R-2600 or something similar.

In Soviet Russia, Ash82T owns/operates you.
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
        Totally awesome. Any reason why they used a Russian Ash82T rather than some American engine? Obviously the BMW 801 is unobtainium but I would think having a R-2600 or something would greatly increase the talent pool for the engine here in the US. I have no idea about the availability of the Ash82T but I would think it be be more difficult to own/operate compared to a R-2600 or something similar.

In Soviet Russia, Ash82T owns/operates you.
        From what I’ve read is that the Ash82 is basically the Russian copy of the 801 and puts out about the same horsepower (around 1900).
        Jason
        Jason Schillereff

Comment

Originally posted by Jason S. View Post
          From what I’ve read is that the Ash82 is basically the Russian copy of the 801 and puts out about the same horsepower (around 1900).
          Jason
          No offense intended but I don't think that is correct. I do think the histories of the BMW 801 and ASh-82 are rather interesting. Over simplified....

The BMW 801's development began in 1938. Some of the BMW 801 design features came from the BMW 139, which powered the prototype FW 190. The BMW 139 was basically two BMW 132. The BMW 132 was based off of the BMW Hornet, which was a licensed production of the P&W Hornet (R-1690).

The ASh-82 (M-82) on the other hand, was developed starting in 1939 and based off of the ASh-62 (M-62). The ASh-62 was developed from the M-25 and that was a licensed Wright Cyclone R-1820.

The Russians might have known of the BMW 801 when they started work on the ASh-82 but I don't think they had any to copy. We all know they are very good at copying things (see Tu 4) but I don't think they did in this case.

The BMW 801's displacement is 2547 cu in while the ASh-82 displaces 2514 cu in. Both were 14 cylinders. So, my suggested Wright 14 cylinder R-2600 would be right at home.

I think all three engines are very similar in size, weight, displacement, and power. The deciding factor would be availability and once again I think a R-2600 would be easier to deal with than an ASh-82T. But I really don't know for sure.

Of course, I rather see it flying with a "weird" engine than sitting unflyable with a "normal" engine.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

I would think that the Russian mill could have been developed from the 801, since Gernamy and Russia were buddy-buddies back then.

But a little research brought out the facts:

"The Shvetsov ASh-82 (M-82) is a 14 cylinder, two-row, air-cooled radial aircraft engine developed from the Shvetsov M-62, itself a development from M-25 a licensed version of the Wright R-1820 Cyclone."

Comment

When the Museum of Flying sought to build an Fw 190 for its collection, this question was raised numerous time in the restoration facility. Because of cost and rarity of the BMW 801 it was early on decided to look at alternate power plants, IE. R2600/ASH82. The ASH 82 became the engine of choice mainly on the merritt that it made the FW190 esthetically correct. Its diameter@ 51.2" closely matched the BMW's @ 52". Both of which are considerably under the 54.25" diameter of the R2600.

The ASH would allow the cowling/nose section to blend correctly into the fuselage and not look like an after thought. Although we felt the know reliability of the R2600 could off set this.

This could be why they chose the ASH. Cost is another factor to consider, as ASH 82s are comparatively inexpensive to the R2600.

Bruce

Comment

Mr. Bruce Lockwood,

Thank you for your explanation. It makes sense in regards to size and price. And sense the ASh-82T was a transport motor made in the 50s I'm sure there are parts still around. Now, only if O could see one of the FW 190s in flight. Maybe with a Me 262 and throw in a Me 109..... What a formation that would be.
                Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

And that's really kind of cool. I'm impressed with the mechanics.
                  Mechanics are cool people.
                  Mama said it takes one to know one.

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                    Mr. Bruce Lockwood,

Thank you for your explanation. It makes sense in regards to size and price. And sense the ASh-82T was a transport motor made in the 50s I'm sure there are parts still around. Now, only if O could see one of the FW 190s in flight. Maybe with a Me 262 and throw in a Me 109..... What a formation that would be.
                    Well one of these flew over on Sunday

Unfortunately it had a Merlin.

Also this group flew over , all part of Goodwood Revival .
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Reno_Steve; 09-24-2009, 04:04 AM.

Comment

And the same aircraft on the ground at Goodwood
                      Attached Files

Comment

I liked the idea of the ASh-82 because the ones I saw were new. This would make them tops in my book over the finest 2600 overhaul.

Comment

Working...
                        X