Homebuilt unlimited?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebuilt unlimited?

Anything going on with this bird? Was she out there for a reason?
    Attached Files

Re: Homebuilt unlimited?

DG's Shockwave. It's for sale.....
    Red
    chanting...400+

Comment

That is kind of a funny looking bird. I'm guessing American Spirit isn't going to look conventional either, but if it/they go fast, who cares. I'm all about function over form.

Will

Comment

Photos of "Spirit" found here:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
          Anything going on with this bird? Was she out there for a reason?
          I'm having a hard time imagining a 4360 hung on the front of it!
          Won't it nose-over just sitting still?

Comment

I think it was originally suppose to get a 3350 like the bear and American Spirit. Dunno if that has changed.

Comment

Looked an interesting project. Did anybody notice a white Mustang with a blue cheatline at the back of the hangar in that pic? If so any idea of its identity?

Comment

Originally posted by WARPT View Post
                I'm having a hard time imagining a 4360 hung on the front of it!
                Won't it nose-over just sitting still?
                Actually, according to the mock up and drawing's I've seen, the corncob will look very nice on the front of that bird. If you'll notice, the center section of the wing was designed to take landing gear off of a T-2 Buckeye...very long and tall. They are mounted at a substantial slant forward, which means that it will move the effective CG on the ground well forward, and as it rotates forward on takeoff (though I imagine it doing 3-pointers), it lengthens the height for prop clearance.

I'm sorry to see Darryl give up on this project, but honestly it lost a lot of steam in the aftermath of the Kee Bird. I'd love to see old Schwartz bending the sticks again in an Unlimited.

Jim

Comment

Darryl G's project

designed for a 4360....F86 tail.....buckeye landing gear.....wings partially home built and utilizing some sea fury...tail wheel is a nose gear out of a cessna.... Darryl has spent 1.5 TONS of money on it and it has potential but needs another 2 tons of money to complete

Comment

Ok, lemme get this. We have Shockwave/Red Heat/Frostbite, American Spirt, Wildfire, GG, Furias, maybe Precious Metal and September Fury along with the recreated Tsunami (son of Tusnami flown by son of Steve maybe?) in our future? We now have a 52 week runner in RR III plus the Bear, Dago, Checkmate, Voodoo AND Strega right now! This sounds to me like THE golden age of air racing. Wow! No wonder we can't help checking the net daily for news of development. My ultralight flying wife is amazed at the human experience of engine/airframe development as seen all year long, year after year, for an 8 minute race. After 40 years of watching, I am as thrilled each year as the first in '69. The Reno experience is still the pointy end of desire, commitment and development in the non-government flying world.
                    Last edited by Sneauxman; 09-25-2009, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneauxman View Post
                      Ok, lemme get this. We have Shockwave/Red Heat/Frostbite...
                      Shockwave is a different airplane than Red Heat/Frostbite.
                      Shockwave is Greenamyer's custom built R-4360 powered racer.
                      Red Heat/Frostbite/Mr. Awesome is a R-3350 powered Yak with T-33 tail surfaces. If I remember correctly, Mr. Awesome still has the PRT's.

Jarrod
                      Last edited by jarrodeu; 09-25-2009, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X