No, no, not Dago and/or September Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, no, not Dago and/or September Fury

Is it silly season all year? There are conflicting stories on Dago and September Fury with both going back to stock. Say it ain't so.
    Mr Taylor and partners had a split,yes? He has control and is RE-building Dago as what - racer or stocker?
    Mr Lewis is going to finish American Spirit and kick SF back to the stock world????
    Just what is the straight skinny? Let's not do a Sherman and lie about changes and status.
    And speaking of Kerch, will the Furias 4360 remain stock while pushing a Kerchitized airframe?
    Please help and old guy who is suffering annual withdrawls til next September/Christmas.

Re: No, no, not Dago and/or September Fury

Frank Taylor was in Section 3 on Sunday and made it very clear that it is his plan to continue racing with Dago.

He seemed like a really nice guy, he signed shirts and B.S.'ed for a good hour up there. Must have given away about 40 Dago shirts.

I could tell he was humbled by the reception he received up there, which is very different then some of the people who come up. Again, he seemed like a very genuine, down to earth person, plus his daughter is HOT.

I have never been a huge Dago fan, but I think I am now a Frank Taylor fan....

Comment

Apparently Dago is going back to the 1982 paint scheme...this from Mr Taylor via my bro.

Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Taylor in the Chairmans Club on Sunday. He did indeed say that Dago will be back next year and faster then ever, (with Skip Holm at the stick). They are working on her now and had sanded off 11 coats of paint and removed over 400lbs of bondo.

One helluva a nice guy and a real asset to Air Racing, and yes his daughter is HOT, oh yeah his wife and son are also very nice people

Comment

September Fury back to stock.....Nooooooooooooooooo! First Critical Mass, now September Fury. Are the days of a purely racing Sea Fury (cut-down canopy, clipped wings, etc.) behind us? 232 was an awesome racer, and while this year was great, it just wasn't the same without that big yellow and red bird rounding the pylons at 475+. Hopefully Furias will continue the tradition of Sept. Fury and contend for the Gold in 2010

Comment

Somebody will have to do something if they want to win against these Gold winning Mustangs. I'm guessing Strega will be back next year. Somebody's going to have to go 500 soon to get the Gold. That's the coolest part to me in pure racing. What's a nas-car? Top fuel shortens the track?
            All I got left is UNLIMITED RENO AIR RACING!!

Comment

Originally posted by Airpirate View Post
              They are working on her now and had sanded off 11 coats of paint and removed over 400lbs of bondo.
              I really think he was BS'n you there. Highly doubt there were 11 coats of paint and 400 lbs of bondo left on the airplane when he picked it up from Hollister.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneauxman View Post
                Is it silly season all year? There are conflicting stories on Dago and September Fury with both going back to stock. Say it ain't so.
                Mr Taylor and partners had a split,yes? He has control and is RE-building Dago as what - racer or stocker?
                Mr Lewis is going to finish American Spirit and kick SF back to the stock world????
                Just what is the straight skinny? Let's not do a Sherman and lie about changes and status.
                And speaking of Kerch, will the Furias 4360 remain stock while pushing a Kerchitized airframe?
                Please help and old guy who is suffering annual withdrawls til next September/Christmas.
                I hear also that the only Griffon plane is up for sale and
                if nobody buys her she goes back to stock! I hope Steve Hinton
                hears about this. The other GOOD rumor is that Tsunami is going to
                be rebuilt because they still have the tooling? -G-

Comment

Here's a shot of the airplane (stolen from a post over on WIX) taken in August:

Compare that to these shots posted here on AAFO that were taken in May:

It does look like a pretty significant amount of paint. Plus, Bruce Lockwood apparently spent a lot of time/effort/bondo profiling the wings when the airplane was in his care. I have to wonder if that's where a lot of the body filler came from.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                    Apparently Dago is going back to the 1982 paint scheme...this from Mr Taylor via my bro.

YES About time.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by threeoneright View Post
                      I really think he was BS'n you there. Highly doubt there were 11 coats of paint and 400 lbs of bondo left on the airplane when he picked it up from Hollister.
                      please forgive me for barging in on this subject but if you go to the dago red site and read the "visit the hanger" section in the middle of the main page that info is right there...with picture proof...

i saw frank taylor wearing his old hat with about 50 or so pins on it...he seems like a real nice man!

peace!
                      the new guy...

Comment

Other than the ones that wanted it painted that way, I don't think I've ever heard anybody say they liked the seaweed. Cool to see it headed back to 82. I also like the way Miss America looks too.. without all the details of every race since 69. To simplify is the best.

JH

Comment

Dago never in its life had 400 lbs. of bondo on it's airframe.That would be what? 50 gals. of bondo. The wing had a lot of paint on it and now they have lost the profile that the wing had. I don't think the airplane will ever be as good as it was, if it ever races again.

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                            Dago never in its life had 400 lbs. of bondo on it's airframe.That would be what? 50 gals. of bondo. The wing had a lot of paint on it and now they have lost the profile that the wing had. I don't think the airplane will ever be as good as it was, if it ever races again.
                            Of course, that had to be an "exaggeration".. we heard this same stuff about Rare Bear a year or two ago.. in that case, it was, *somewhat* justified but still.. 400 lbs???

Not....
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                              Well I hope you're wrong because Dago is just the plane to give Strega the competition that Reno needs to draw a crowd at the races. 500 mph is some cool stuff. Those two planes are proven competitors that are capable in the hands of competent people. Skip Holm. Stevo Hinton. Now take the old guy, F4 Phantom driver and pit him against the young and upcoming Mustang driver and we got something to talk about. That starts some stuff right there. You know what I mean? Throw in some JCP and Rare Bear and we're having some fun again. And we have a year to talk about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X