High G Ridge Club?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High G Ridge Club?

Anyone do the "high G ridge club" thing? Just wondering if it was worth the $? Pictures?

Re: High G Ridge Club?

Originally posted by mailman77327 View Post
    Anyone do the "high G ridge club" thing? Just wondering if it was worth the $? Pictures?
    Hey Chris! It's Kevin from the Silver Knolls Culdesac and the top of the Trailer 2003 and several other years.... How are Ya??

Comment

Yes, my dad and brother were out there on Saturday. They did like it, especially the different perspective. You were looking down on the Unlimiteds on the course. Did get a little boring between unlimited races though.

Would not let anyone under 18 go out there. Meant I couldn't go out since I could not take my son. I plan on trying it next year.

Comment

Some questions:

1) Where exactly was it? Was it in the previously on-limits area of the housing on the west side of the course on the "straight" away portion of the VOS?

2) How close were the racers to you?

3) Was it inside or outside of the course?

4) How was it for photography?

5) How much did it cost?

6) Was it worth it?

7) How long could you stay out there? Did the buses provide a shuttle service where you could come and go, or was there a one-time drop off and pick-up where you were stuck there all day?

8) Did they have any facilities such as bathrooms or water out there?

Thanks!
        Last edited by dvddude; 09-21-2009, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude View Post
          Some questions:

1) Where exactly was it? Was it in the previously on-limits area of the housing on the west side of the course on the "straight" away portion of the VOS?

2) How close were the racers to you?

3) Was it inside or outside of the course?

4) How was it for photography?
          1)Almost directly on runway 14 against the outer fence. Up quite high. Most of the racers were level or below as they went by. They were starting there turn as they went by onto the vos.
          2)depending on how tight they were flying the course. Closer than normal. Might still be closer in the vos(I've never been there)
          3)outside
          4)Excllent. A different point of view than I'm used to. Nothing like being at a pylon I'm sure.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude View Post

5) How much did it cost?

6) Was it worth it?

7) How long could you stay out there? Did the buses provide a shuttle service where you could come and go, or was there a one-time drop off and pick-up where you were stuck there all day?

8) Did they have any facilities such as bathrooms or water out there?

Thanks!

5)$80, but they said it would be $100 next year.
            6)I think so. I did hear any complaints while I was up there. Does get a bit boring when you can see any of the show or the slower racers. Lots of down time. But a nice change of pace from watching from the pits or stands.
            7)Bus left at noon and returned after sat jet race. Back about 4:45. One time drop off.
            8)They had two sani-huts, a tent and stands set up. Water, soda, BEER, and snacks were covered.

Hopefully answered your questions. I'll post some pics when I get home a sort them out a bit.

Sean

Comment

BEER??
              There ws no beer when we went. Lots of water, pop, and munchies though. But it was great. We enjoyed the downtime with the break from the announcers.
              We'll do it agian next year.
              Last edited by dineega; 09-21-2009, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I talked to a couple of people that said it was great and that they look forward to going there again next year. The idea had just gotten last minute approval by the FAA. Who knows what the future holds?

LP

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk View Post
                  I talked to a couple of people that said it was great and that they look forward to going there again next year. The idea had just gotten last minute approval by the FAA. Who knows what the future holds?

LP
                  Saw a group get off the bus after they'd been out there, they had that ear to ear grin look.... I think they enjoyed it..
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Any pics from out there? to give us a bit of perspective?

Comment

Originally posted by dineega View Post
                      BEER??
                      There ws no beer when we went.
                      You must have gone on Sunday. I think my brother finished off the last of the beer on Saturday, sorry.

Comment

LOL. There were probably a few people asking for beer as it was really toasty out there. They took good care of us out there even without it.
                        One of our guys took photos, but it will be a while before he gets through sorting them I think.
                        Rachel
                        Last edited by dineega; 09-23-2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Think initially RARA had some issues with the "hospitality" part of this adventure but eventually got it figured out for the most part. The location was almost due north of Outer 6 (the pylon I'm working) by about 1/2 mile or so. Haven't seen any images from there but based on location, sun angle, TOD, and distance to subjects I'd venture to say it's not likely a great spot to shoot from. Racers are too far away at Outer 5 and by the time they get close enough to make it worth your while, you're looking at the belly of the a/c and likely shooting into the sun. That said, at this time it's about as close to the action as you can get without a fence between you and all the fun.

I'd be a fan of RARA clearing an area between Outer 5 and Outer 6 on the INSIDE the course so folks could shoot the top-side of the a/c as they pass from one pylon to another.

Glad to see RARA is trying new stuff. It's important to keep the fans interest and provide a new experience. Sure next year it'll be even better.

BTW, the answer to the question I've been asked repeatedly is "Yes"...Strega did cut my pylon on Saturday. It was an easy call.
                          Owen Ashurst
                          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Here are some pictures I took from the "G Spot".

Sean

Comment

Sean,

Awesome! We kept trying to spot where you guys were, I finally did it from outer 4 on Saturday.. Was hard to tell from our vantage point, just what you would see. I think that's answered here. Might be the best place ever to do a race start! That fifth (race start) shot is simply awesome!

Thanks for sharing
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X