Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Big Bossman, Sept Fury, & Sept Props?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Big Bossman, Sept Fury, & Sept Props?

I heard a rumour that some rich guy bought all three and parked them in a hanger. Really disappointed to not see them here this year!

Sorry if this has been covered in a previous thread.

Re: What happened to Big Bossman, Sept Fury, & Sept Props?

Mike Brown retired from racing last year and sold his planes to Rod Lewis.

Rod is not just some "rich" guy he is a serious warbird lover. His story is a good one. Survived cancer and it "woke" him up and he pursued his love.

He also owns Rare Bear, Glacier Girl, the new Silver Bear cat and many many other planes.

Also heard Rod bought the P-39 Brooklyn Bum from The Fighter Collection over in Europe and it is on the way to Texas.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I meant no offence. I am sure he will take very good care of them. Does he have plans to race them in the future?

Comment

As none of us live forever and he has amassed many of the best restored and racing warbirds .. I hope he has provisions in place that they will be flown and displayed for future generations !! I apologize Rod if im being a tad to blunt ! But I also wish to thankyou for becoming involved !

Thankyou Mike Brown for all the years of being a great competitor and sharing your warbird passion with all of us !!

Comment

As of last week, Mr. Lewis collection stood at 22. I've been told that the Tigercat is currently undergoing an avionics upgrade, then will be painted and given a new name. 232 will be restored to stock and possibly sold.

LP

Comment

Of all MB's former airforce, I most want to see and HEAR the Bossman turning the sticks again. While I respect whatever Mr. Lewis' plans for it may be, I'll not miss anything more than the sound of those twin R2800's!

David

Comment

It is a shame to see Sept Fury being returned to stock and repainted? She is so beautiful as is? I'm suspicious of the "because she is easier to fly and worth more" argument!

Comment

Seems like there are a few racers going back to stock and they are all Sea Fury's.

Comment

I'd like to see Big-B back again too. With White Lightning long-gone, I really miss having a big twin out there on the track.

Comment

Anybody notice the Tigercat next to Rod Lewis' silver bearcat?? I asked one of the crew if Rod owned that one because it was snuggled so close to his bearcat. They confirmed that it was his. So as far as race planes go it looks like he has (at least): Rare Bear, The Bear (silver bearcat), Sept. Fury, Sept. Pops, Big Bossman, and Here Kitty Kitty (other tigercat). WOW. What a collection!!!!
                    My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

I've been a fan of the Reno Air Races for quite a few years. I was an early "Fan Sponsor" of Rare Bear. It is great to see that plane well funded now but I have a problem with people buying up Unlimited Race planes and parking them or worse putting them back to stock. What if Strega goes up for sale and Rod Lewis or some other wealthy collector buys it and decides to not race it? Will people speak up then? We go to Reno every year to see planes RACE, not sit in the pits.

Either race them or sell them to someone who will, please.

Comment

Originally posted by DWYER View Post
                        Anybody notice the Tigercat next to Rod Lewis' silver bearcat?? I asked one of the crew if Rod owned that one because it was snuggled so close to his bearcat. They confirmed that it was his. So as far as race planes go it looks like he has (at least): Rare Bear, The Bear (silver bearcat), Sept. Fury, Sept. Pops, Big Bossman, and Here Kitty Kitty (other tigercat). WOW. What a collection!!!!
                        Dwyer
                        Mr. Lewis' collection extends beyond this. From the FAA website he owns
                        Wildcat, B-25, P-38, 4 F-8F (OK 3 Bearcats, and Rare Bear), two sea furies, NA-50, 2 Mustang, Corsair, Spitfire, 2 F7F, F-5, P-47, T-6 and a P-39 coming over from England.

From what I understand most of his airplanes are kept in good flying position, and flown routinely. I do not know his plans for the sea-furies from the Brown Stable; I would love to see them flying, and now as they get the Bear figured out, maybe they will turn their attention to Sept. Fury.

From what I understand Mr. Lewis story is a good one, and he is a man living his dream.

Comment

I think their focus, at least in Stead, will be on the concept racer. From what I was told they were planning to start working on it in a month or so.

From what I have heard September Fury is going stock?

Comment

As of a month ago the collection that Rod Lewis owned numbered at 22. And yes, his aviation director, Bob Carden told me that the plans for 232 were to restore to stock and then possibly sell it.

LP

Comment

Originally posted by mem916 View Post
                              I've been a fan of the Reno Air Races for quite a few years. I was an early "Fan Sponsor" of Rare Bear. It is great to see that plane well funded now but I have a problem with people buying up Unlimited Race planes and parking them or worse putting them back to stock. What if Strega goes up for sale and Rod Lewis or some other wealthy collector buys it and decides to not race it? Will people speak up then? We go to Reno every year to see planes RACE, not sit in the pits.

Either race them or sell them to someone who will, please.
                              I know what you mean... but, there had to be a good reason why Mike Brown had to sell all three of his race planes. Mabey Rod was helping him out of a tight spot by buying them from him. I think they were listed quite a while before we heard that Rod bought them. And if there was an investor that wanted a race plane I'm sure they would have snagged one of these. But it doesn't seem like his intensions are to hoard race planes. I don't know for sure, but from what I have heard this is what I believe.
                              My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Working...
                              X