500 + laps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 + laps?

Isn't this the first time for a 500 lap? for the unlimiteds?

Re: 500 + laps?

Nope, a few years ago Dago averaged a 500 mile per hour race...

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
      Isn't this the first time for a 500 lap? for the unlimiteds?
      Nope, Dago has done it. But I think they are the only other plane to do it. This certainly does not diminish Strega's accomplishment.
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Dago was the first. I believe it was right after RARA changed the way they measured the course, from a series of straight lines between pylons to an imaginary arc around them. This effectively made the course "longer', resulting in higher computed speeds.

Before the change both Rare Bear and Dago had been very close to 500, the bear I believe having done at least 490.

Not to diminish the acomplishment though. I saw both Dago's 500 and the ones today from above the valley of speed and they were all awesome (Steven flies a great line - a lot like the guy who did 500 first)! Sounds like he may be the new 1 lap record holder? How cool is that?

Comment

That was a lot of airplanes really moving....when is the last time a 4th place airplane was over 470mph ?...I am very impressed by Ridge Runner III...Its hard to tell if anyone is saving anything...The Bear certainly has been faster and may be holding back some, but its not like she isn't turning some pretty good lap times...There are just some damn fast airplanes in this mix...Strega , VooDoo , Bear , RRIII right now it looks like it could be any one of them...but only tomorrow will tell...

Comment

I just read on the RARA website that Strega's pylon cut was on lap 2. Guess we'll have to wait for official word on wether a new record was set. I thought Dago did 505, but it's been a few years ago and I could be wrong. Does RARA even recognize 1 lap race records?

Also, any news on Czech Mate? I can't see him giving up that many starting positions for Sunday unless he had some sort of problem?

Comment

Strega powered back and averaged a course speed of 496 (before the pylon cut)... I don't know why... Good luck tomorrow, and GO STREGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Last edited by Wilnit; 09-19-2009, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I hope for the racing community and young Stevo, that Strega hits the 500
                today. It's satisfying when the BS starts that you can say, "You can't do this anywhere else in the world." And I was there and I saw it. Nothing else comes even remotely close with pistons and crankshafts. You are aware this is 1940's technology.
                I think most of us would like the Air Races to keep on going. I hear people say it'll be over in 10 to 20 years.
                Fly safe Fly fast and God Bless each and everyone of you.

Ya'll wave when you walk by the Checkered Flag Club

Comment

Friday 12 Sept 03 Dago averaged 507 for 6 laps.

Ron
                  Ron Henning

Comment

Dago also owns the qual record at 497.787.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Ron101502 View Post
                      Friday 12 Sept 03 Dago averaged 507 for 6 laps.

Ron
                      .....with Rare Bear right behind at 498!!! Imagine running the fastest race of your life(albeit a heat race), and coming in second!! The Bear has won Championships outright with way less speed than that. Such is the fickle finger of fate at Reno, God love it!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X