Secret Warbird Collection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Warbird Collection?

I had this article forwarded to me from a friend in Seattle.

Seems Paul Allen, the owner of the Portland Trailblazers ,the Seahawks(I think)and co founder of Microsoft has a collection of warbirds at Arlington Field .
    Including a restored B-17, a B-25, and a FW-190 among others

The kicker is he keeps it a secret, he doesn't allow visitors
    blacksheep
    Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Re: Secret Warbird Collection?

Originally posted by blacksheep
    Well, I guess everyone has the right to do with their possessions whatever they want but I think it's a shame to keep that collection hidden from the eyes of this country.

There are many guys who have to work a lot harder for their money and have a lot of sweat equity in their airplanes and they share them with the world..

I'm expressing "editorial" PURELY MY "opinion" here.. personally, to me, this is like having world class historic art and putting it in a closet.. what's the point?

Easy for me to say, I guess, I don't own them, will likely never have the money to even own that Mustang radiator they mention in the article but it if were my collection.. I'd share it with the world!!

I don't know if he's ever flown in any of them (the article would indicate not) but he's really missing out on one of life's special moments by not, at least, going for a ride in one of them!

*sigh*

Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Here's an (incomplete) list of what Paul Allen owns :

MITSUBISHI A6M5-52 N1303 #1303
      MITSUBISHI A6M5-52 N652Z #4400
      MITSUBISHI A6M3 N3852 #3852
      NAKAJIMA KI-43-1B N750N #750
      CURTISS JN4D N3712 #3712
      LOCKHEED P-38L N79123 #44-27231
      CURTISS WRIGHT P-40C N2689 #194
      REPUBLIC P-47D N7159Z #45-49406
      NORTH AMERICAN P-51D N723FH #44-72364
      DOUGLAS AD-4N N2692 #126924
      GOODYEAR FG1D N700G #88303
      GRUMMAN F6F-5 N79863 #79863
      MESSERSCHMITT Bf-109E-3 G-BYDS #1342
      MESSERSCHMITT Me 262A N94503 #T-2-4012
      BOEING B-17E N12355 #2682
      NORTH AMERICAN B-25J N41123 #44-30254
      FOCKE WULF FW 190-A5 N19027 #0151227
      FIESELER F1-156-C2 N436FS #4362
      POLIKARPOV PO-2 N46GU #641543
      POLIKARPOV I-16 N7459 #2421014
      SUPERMARINE Spitfire Mk.VC N614VC #AR614
      HAWKER Sea Hurricane G-KAMM #BW881
      NORTH AMERICAN F-86A N4912 #49-1217
      REPUBLIC F-84G N6599V #10586
      CASA 2.111 N11105 #005
      CASA 2.111 #B.21-37
      NOORDUYN Mk VI (C-64A) N4474 #44-70513
      LTV F-8 (x2)

I agree with Wayne, I think he is missing something with his collection. Beeing the guy with the money he can however do whatever he wants.
      But it seems to me that beeing so secretive makes much more people talk about his collection than if it was public..

fred

Comment

You can add the Champlin Fighter Collection to that list as well.

Comment

My goodness, that is quite the collection! It would take a huge facility to house those..

Now I'm jogging a memory, perhaps, just a senior moment (hey, I got my AARP application all filled out ) and I'm remembering something that I really didn't forget.... but..

Back when I was involved with the Spruce Goose project, I *seem* to remember hearing something of a "plan" where Allen was going to open some sort of museum/gaming facility, I think it was maybe going to be in Seattle area..

So maybe that's why he's "hiding" them, so he does not spoil the surprise when he does finally share them...

Well, like I said, I don't know if this is "senior moment" stuff or something I really heard but.. fun to think about!!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
            Back when I was involved with the Spruce Goose project, I *seem* to remember hearing something of a "plan" where Allen was going to open some sort of museum/gaming facility, I think it was maybe going to be in Seattle area..

So maybe that's why he's "hiding" them, so he does not spoil the surprise when he does finally share them...

I heard similar rumors..

The Champlin has been bought by the Seattle Museum of Flight, not by Paul Allen.

regards
            fred

Comment

The Boeing Museum of Flight is getting ready to show a part of the Champlin Collection pretty soon.
              I have seen a Spitfire at Arlington, flown by Bud Granley, purported to belong to Paul Allen.

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB
                The Boeing Museum of Flight is getting ready to show a part of the Champlin Collection pretty soon.
                I have seen a Spitfire at Arlington, flown by Bud Granley, purported to belong to Paul Allen.
                For what it's worth, it's not the "Boeing" Museum of Flight...it just happens to be located at Boeing Field. Although Boeing is obviously a huge corporate sponsor, they do not control or own the MoF.

Second, my understanding is that the Champlin Collection was purchased by Allen *for* the MoF. I don't know whether he simply provided the capital or the financing to purchase the airplanes, or whether it was an outright donation.

Nevertheless, the "private" collection seems to be completely separate from the Champlin airplanes.

When I worked at Galvin Flying Service in Seattle, I spent a lot of time servicing Allen's Canadair CL-601 Challenger bizjet, N601AF. In his hangar at the time, he had a blue and gray camouflaged T-38, and the pilot indicated that there were several more military airplanes where that one came from (ergo, in Allen's collection), and that was in the '93/'94 timeframe.

Comment

Hey Randy.... Glad to hear from you's... Hope the weather back there on the "east" coast is agreeing whit'chas's....

Keep em burnin and turnin my friend!

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    Hey Randy.... Glad to hear from you's... Hope the weather back there on the "east" coast is agreeing whit'chas's....

Keep em burnin and turnin my friend!

Wayne
                    No comment, Wayne....nooooooo comment!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin

No comment, Wayne....nooooooo comment!
                      Understood.. have been watching the weather reports.. snow, but looks like much warmer coming.

Hope all is well with you and yours!

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hello All:
                        The collection is hardly a secret! The collection has moved from Arlington WA Airport to Paine Field in Everett WA. Currently on display are WWII aircraft representing 5 nations: US, UK, Germany, Russia and Japan. Of the 15 on display, 10 actually fly and do so regularly during the summer. Please refer to the website www.flyingheritage.com to view the collection. Also, the collection is VERY PROUD to anounce the addition of a FW-190A-5 "Shrike" soon to be added. This aircraft is scheduled to be flown on "Luftwaffe Day" this summer along with our Bf-109E. There are currently no multi-engine aircraft on display but that is also due to change this summer with the addition of a B-25J. The collection has gotten a LOT of recent "press" in Air Classics and Warbirds reference out Bf-109, our FW-190A5 and our P-47. It should also be noted that we have the only remaining FW-190D-13 in existance, but we do not fly it due to its rarity. Any questions or comments, please post.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Gemini... The title of the thread is a bit misleading... since the original post was made almost 10 years ago...
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by gemini44 View Post
                            Hello All:
                            The collection is hardly a secret!
                            It was 8 years ago when the thread was started!

Comment

Originally posted by blacksheep View Post
                              I had this article forwarded to me from a friend in Seattle.

Seems Paul Allen, the owner of the Portland Trailblazers ,the Seahawks(I think)and co founder of Microsoft has a collection of warbirds at Arlington Field .
                              Including a restored B-17, a B-25, and a FW-190 among others

Wow really? Never heard of that. Thanks for letting us know!

Comment

Working...
                              X