Gold Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Saturday

As of when I left Stead Strega had won todays Gold at 496mph with VooDoo 2nd and RRIII 3rd... Based on the commentators info

Re: Gold Saturday

Strega cut pylon & got bumped to 2nd, making VooDoo 1st.
    RR III - 3rd & Rare Bear took 4th.

Comment

Appreciate the info. I wasn't able to stay home and listen today.
      Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-19-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

An amazing race; the Voodoo team should be thriled at 485 and a win.

The results are posted at:

Rare Bear at 471, but "only" finished in fourth place.

Comment

Any pit reporters out there? I missed the post race teardowns this afternoon. My impression from watching the Gold heat race is that all the major players are healthy.

The Bear is finally looking like the Bear again, and everybody else except Strega and Voodoo seemed to be taking it easy.

Anybody know what Strega's first 2 lap speeds were? I had him at about 1 minute flat, then a few seconds slower per lap after that.

And does everything Kerchenfaut touch turn to gold? I don't want to give him too much credit, as I know Button and crew worked afully hard durring the off season, but where did that speed come from?

It's been years since Ive seen so many strong airplanes going into Sunday. The Merlins are back!

Comment

Ridge Runner at 477! Insane!!

Comment

Um... did they tweak the course timing again?? Speeds seem to be up across the board. So all the "stocker" Sea Furies are suddenly faster... and Dreadnought at 459? Really?? For a Saturday heat race and after replacing so many jugs? Bravo if everyone is really up a notch, but something seems funny...

Comment

Can't say I've EVER thought of Dreadnought as a "stocker" Sea Fury, what with that big ol' corncob bolted up front.

Going back through the official records show that the Buick has hit the 440's many times, and even posted a 452.737 back in 1986. She's capable...

And the 3000 hp W-3350 in Riff Raff is far from factory original too. The speeds sound OK to me. These are GOLD CLASS machines after all...
                Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-19-2009, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I was also wondering about the fast times.
                  The super sports were running about 10mph faster than previously. Then the unlimiteds go out and run about 10mph faster. I highly doubt everyone managed to do 10mph worth of speed improvements in the last ~24 hrs. It had to be the weather. Different humidity, temperatures, and air pressure all affect the air density. In addition, wind speed and direction could play a factor. What ever the combination was it seemed very favorable to the faster planes this afternoon.

Bryan

Comment

What I heard on the audio feed today was Strega's first lap at 508, and their second lap at 504. I wish I could be there to see it! A HUGH THANK YOU to everyone who is getting all this great info and posting it here for us that are stuck at home!

Race 29
                    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29 View Post
                      What I heard on the audio feed today was Strega's first lap at 508, and their second lap at 504. I wish I could be there to see it! A HUGH THANK YOU to everyone who is getting all this great info and posting it here for us that are stuck at home!

Race 29
                      Actually the first lap was at 512.... The first three were all in the 500 range. Wind????????????? Could have been a factor.........

Just sayin'

Comment

HA! I heard 1st lap was 508, second was 512 and third was still over 500. Regardless of the specifics, well done!
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

From the RARA site.
                          Tony

Comment

Laps one and two were very impressive for a Saturday. The Bear looked to be jus' loafin' from where I sat.

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
                              Um... did they tweak the course timing again?? Speeds seem to be up across the board. So all the "stocker" Sea Furies are suddenly faster... and Dreadnought at 459? Really?? For a Saturday heat race and after replacing so many jugs? Bravo if everyone is really up a notch, but something seems funny...
                              Well race fans another Staurday in the books. Exceptional weather today allowed for some great speeds. No the course is no different from last few years. And yes the old Dreadnought has gone 459 before, not to mention the 462 lap back oin the 90's on the old course!!!. Today was warm and the wind plays little or no difference on the course. Being an oval you in it as long as you are out of it, so its really a wash. Had it been calm you would have seen better speeds yet. Everyone is healthier then they have been in years. Danny in Ridgerunner has done a lot of work on the plane this year and its showing it. Check Mate is runnning like the wind and is very impressive. Voodoo has an engine thats making power this year. Rift Raft has gone through an airframe mod program over the winter and its sporting a new slick paint job, so there is no doubt the planes are going faster this year. I can assure you its not a consperacy. The Super sports are on the unlimited course so their speeds are up as well. All in all a great year for most. Tomorrow will tell and there is a lot of racing to go. No telling what could happen. Wish us luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X