strega just lost an oil line yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strega just lost an oil line yesterday

...all fixed and flying as was Danny Martins ridge runner after an overnight head/bank swap. the bear is running ok but not as hard as in prior years the boiloff sytem fro oil cooling seems to work, either JP is pacing himself or it isnt as healthy as past years. Riff Raff has a new/old pilot I believe...more to come. good heats today and no one broke, Pardues bearcat is fixed and running fine.
    galloping Ghost didnt make it. too busy to take any pictures but with Victor and others there my amateur skills would not be appreciated.
    Spent some time in an L-39 today...nice little plane!

and

WE NEED A TURBINE CLASS!

Re: strega just lost an oil line yesterday

Ill bring a Pilatus to race if that happens

I heard Ghost will come as a static, hope its true.
    CFI/CFII/MEI
    www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
    www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

I don't think it will be here

Originally posted by Inverted View Post
      Ill bring a Pilatus to race if that happens

I heard Ghost will come as a static, hope its true.
      its down in minden but has too many problems although you never know...

Comment

got to the VOS fence for the Gold. I was pleasantly surprised to see Strega out front running fast and smooth! Figured it was something like an oil line and hoping it was shut down before damage was done. Czech Mate a respectable 2nd until the pylon penalty and Ridge Runner holding down a podium finish. I think Steve must have backed off cuz Czech Mate and Ridge Runner were filling up his rear view mirror on the last lap. Voodoo sounded sweet! Whiteside was taking an outside line and it felt like he was shaving me in the face every time he flew by and low, I mean looooow! Rare Bear was not on the throttle, let's hope it is all part of a "keep it together" strategy for Sunday's Gold.

Ridge Runner is a mystery to me. I know it has a strong Sparrow motor but when u see the ball fillers where the machine guns use to be on the leading edge of the wings, one wonders about the aero program! Strega on the other hand has all kinds of formula one like aero work done to her. Very sexy! What was Ridge Runner turning for lap speed?

Comment

We keep the airframe in a condition that we can take it back to "stock" after the races so that we can enjoy the airplane the other 51 weeks out of the year. All of the modifications that we do are "bolt on" and do not change the airframe permanantly. And for a "stock airframe" to be running in front of ,or pushing all of these purposed built racers, says a lot about our "aero" program

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
            got to the VOS fence for the Gold. I was pleasantly surprised to see Strega out front running fast and smooth! Figured it was something like an oil line and hoping it was shut down before damage was done. Czech Mate a respectable 2nd until the pylon penalty and Ridge Runner holding down a podium finish. I think Steve must have backed off cuz Czech Mate and Ridge Runner were filling up his rear view mirror on the last lap. Voodoo sounded sweet! Whiteside was taking an outside line and it felt like he was shaving me in the face every time he flew by and low, I mean looooow! Rare Bear was not on the throttle, let's hope it is all part of a "keep it together" strategy for Sunday's Gold.

Ridge Runner is a mystery to me. I know it has a strong Sparrow motor but when u see the ball fillers where the machine guns use to be on the leading edge of the wings, one wonders about the aero program! Strega on the other hand has all kinds of formula one like aero work done to her. Very sexy! What was Ridge Runner turning for lap speed?
            Hans I have noticed you sure do question what a lot of these racers are doing. Not sure if you mean to or not but it comes across as snotty and arrogant, hence Eric's reply.

A lot of learning what a team does and does not do to their planes is understanding their motivation in racing. Not all guys want to turn their planes into Strega or Rare Bear. Questioning their motives or what they are doing on a message board in the manner you do is uncalled for in my opinion.
            Last edited by doubleup; 09-19-2009, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I don't think the tone of Eric's reply was short and sharp nor do I think my question was arrogant and snooty! Sorry to offend you but maybe you should try another sport if this one is too tough and rough!

Ridge Runner is very impressive running like she does with "bolt on" mods! Dan Martin is one heck of a racer too. Thanks Eric for the explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
                I don't think the tone of Eric's reply was short and sharp nor do I think my question was arrogant and snooty! Sorry to offend you but maybe you should try another sport if this one is too tough and rough!

Ridge Runner is very impressive running like she does with "bolt on" mods! Dan Martin is one heck of a racer too. Thanks Eric for the explanation.
                You did not offend me. I have much thicker skin than that. And since I do not compete in this sport it is impossible for it to be "too tough and rough."

I just think it is rude and arrogant to question someones program if you obviously have no clue what the Martin's are doing with Ridge Runner. Their is a big difference in asking a question because you don't know something and questioning someone's program. Re -read your post. You question their aero program then go on to praise Strega.

Comment

(Rodney King mode: ON)

Can't we all just get along?

(Rodney King mode: OFF)

I didn't notice any arrogance in Hans' statement, but some lack of intuition through observation shows.

It's pretty obvious that Dan intends on keeping RR-III as stock an airframe as possible. Not many owners want to turn their rare and expensive Mustang into full-fledged racers.

I'm all for that. More "Dago Reds" would be nice to see at Stead, but there's plenty of non-flying airframes and scratch-build capable shops who can produce those machines. Ridge Runner looks as gorgeous as it did when I first saw it in the early 80's, and I'd hate to see it chopped and clipped just for racing purposes.

Dedicated racers are fine for race week, but tend to be a bit more difficult to fly and maintain, and usually have a shorter range for use during the rest of the year.

Just the opposite. Many racers are being converted back to stock, "Stiletto" and The late John Crocker's "Sumthin' Else" come to mind as examples. "White Lightning" is another, in a limited sort of way...

It's all good.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-19-2009, 04:58 PM.

Comment

You are right Airdog.

I am just very sensitive to people questioning teams and what they are doing when SOOOO many people take time out of their schedule, spend a ridiculous amount of money, and put their lives at risk for an event that we all hope lasts forever. To me there should never be any questioning of why a team like the Martin's are not doing it like Strega.

It is all good. I may have overreacted and if I did then I apologize.

Comment

Round over, fight over! few! made me think! For those of us that are competitive and do risky things, there is a feared emotional state of mind that almost always results in bad things. It's called the "red mist". Sometimes it gets hot in the pits, hot on this message board but does it ever get hot in the cockpit? I would think a pilot racing 50' above the dirt at 500mph must always have control of his emotions despite the competitiveness inside. Here in my "lack of intuition" mind lies the difference. Plane racers have to be the coolest people under pressure on the planet or they won't survive. Anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
                        ...all fixed and flying as was Danny Martins ridge runner after an overnight head/bank swap. the bear is running ok but not as hard as in prior years the boiloff sytem fro oil cooling seems to work, either JP is pacing himself or it isnt as healthy as past years. Riff Raff has a new/old pilot I believe...more to come. good heats today and no one broke, Pardues bearcat is fixed and running fine.
                        galloping Ghost didnt make it. too busy to take any pictures but with Victor and others there my amateur skills would not be appreciated.
                        Spent some time in an L-39 today...nice little plane!

and

WE NEED A TURBINE CLASS!

What was wrong with Pardue's Bearcat??

Lynn

Comment

Working...
                        X