Martin Baker MB5 Project at Stead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Baker MB5 Project at Stead

A couple years back there were some articles and photo spreads on this website concerning a superb full-scale reproduction of the 1944 Martin Baker MB5 advanced fighter. The last report I saw the contra-prop Griffon was installed and the aircraft was nearing ground runs. There was some talk of a hoped for first flight in 2001. Since then the project seems to have dropped out of sight. It was being built by John and Carol Marlin at Stead-Reno. Does anyone have any more or later info on this beautiful airplane?

Look in the photo section for a photo of it being rolled out for display at Reno 2002. FYI, Peas
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Sorry. I tried to attach it as 320 x 240, but the server kept saying that the file was too big.
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Last I heard work continues...I haven't been in the hanger for a while, but I hear they have been having some gremlins in the electrical system that they are working out.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys.....even though it's fallen way behind schedule, it's very good to hear the project's still going.

Comment

MB5

John is still hard at work on this enourmous project. We hear a little bit about all those hard working crew members on all the air race teams working for unknown glory. Not to diss anyone, but John is building an ENTIRE AIRPLANE, from scratch! As far as I can see, he has used a Shakleton Griffon and a P-51 wing and gear (arguably superior to the original MB5 RAF36 wing) and other than that it has all been designed, fabricated, and fit one painstaking piece at a time. An unbelieveable project for one man. Yes, he gets occaisional help from others, but 90%+ of the work is his. He's the one there every day.

The chief aerodynamic advisor on the Dart program, Dr. Antony Jameson of Stanford U., believes that the MB5 was the highest technology and best piston fighter ever built. I have only met three people qualified to question this assessment, so my personal opinion is that John is pushing forward with a VERY worthwhile lifetime project.

The last remaining MB5 (of only 5 ever built) was destroyed in an early '70s accident. John is working from only the most general overview drawings and has almost no original parts or tooling to go off of! My admiration is boundless. Schedule is relative.

Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Eric,
              I was under the impression that there was only one MB5 and it was destroyed at a missle range over a period of years. I think with the MB2 and MB3 the total Martin Baker aircraft production might be five. Any one else have any knowledge of MB5 history?
              Chris...

Comment

MB5

They were working on the plane on 3/8/03 at Stead Airport. It appeared that they were trying to start it without success. It looked like an interesting aircraft.

Comment

Working...
                X