Sport #33 Mayday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport #33 Mayday

Late this afternoon Sport Race #33 took off on runway 8 and at about 200 feet...I heard the motor go flat....and the pilot called a Mayday....and he appeared to just make it around to the abandoned runway at the Air Guard center...he rolled out OK...But it looke dpretty scary to me....

Anybody know what happened....?

And yesterday a sport plane Mayday'd after the prop appeared to run away or something.....anybody got any info??? I heard something about a backing plate bolts.......at the prop....???/anybody..???

the run away completely toasted the engine

it was so bad that metal transfered from the flywheel to the prop hub....

Comment

Re: the run away completely toasted the engine

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
      it was so bad that metal transfered from the flywheel to the prop hub....
      I think this is what you're talking about.

john
      Attached Files

Comment

Re: Sport #33 Mayday

John,

Who's airplane was that Lyc engine from? Any onther infor on what happenend?
        I believe that Greenamyer is running a geared Continental, so that's not his engine. Anyone know if #33 has a problem this year?

PropFan

Comment

Originally posted by PropFan View Post
          John,

Who's airplane was that Lyc engine from? Any onther infor on what happenend?
          I believe that Greenamyer is running a geared Continental, so that's not his engine. Anyone know if #33 has a problem this year?

PropFan
          I'm not sure of the number of the Sport class plane, but I don't think it was #33. I was commenting in reference to the plane that had the prop problem. I'd have to go back and check what the number of the plane was. I took several pics of the props that were on the ground around the airplane and the plate, but the plate pic is a little out of focus. I'm not sure which prop pic that is attached is the actual prop that was mounted at the time.

john
          Attached Files

Comment

Based on the Sport and Super Sport results posted by RARA, Greenamyer was a DNS today. So no way to tell if it was due to a mechanical problem with the airplane, or something else. Anyone else see or heard anything about either possibility?

Also, the airplane with the prop / engine problem was probably Race 47, a Glassair III "Luckymojo" as it is the only airplane that qualified, but does not have a race time/speed posted.

Fence Sence posted images from Monday, and reported an IF1 plane #47had "something let go in the VOS", but it may have been this Sport Class racer, not a Formula 1. Hard to tell if his pic is this same airplane, but it looks like it is trailing some fluid, and based on the prop tip stripes (and oil puddle in John's pic), the 3-blade was probably the prop on at the time.

Comment

I didn't make it into the pits today, but the pics of the engine that I took were in the 2nd tent on the left going into the Sport hangar. The first tent on the left is where Relentless was headed.

john
              Attached Files

Comment

Re: Sport #47 Mayday

Gary Mead and #47 LuckyMojo prop overspeed. 3 blade hartzell scimitar on the floor- probably junk now (hope not). Maybe planning back up engine with original 2 blade G-III prop (in background).
                Good Luck to the #47 crew.

Comment

33 and 47 are doing engine runs right now (11:00 PM).
                  Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                  Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
                  X