Bear Tail Cone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Tail Cone

I have noticed some interesting things on the Bear tail cone over the past couple of days, maybe someone can shed some light on.

On Monday 9/14 it had one opening on the right side of the tail cone, as seen in the 9-14-2 image.
    On Tuesday 9/15 it has something green covering what appears to be a second opening, as seen in the 915 image?

I cannot verify it but I thought I saw a smaller second opening in an image somewhere where the green-ish rectangle is. Boil off fine-tuning?

~Jim
    Attached Files

Re: Bear Tail Cone

Neat o.
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Looks like 2 completly different tail cones, the second one is longer

Comment

Looks to me like it\'s just a slightly different angle, and the deflection of the rudder. It\'s not two different tail cones...just an optical illusion.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
          Looks to me like it\'s just a slightly different angle, and the deflection of the rudder. It\'s not two different tail cones...just an optical illusion.

Jim
          I believe you are correct. Look at the viewing angle of the stabilizer for clues.

Comment

Maybe someone on site can get a better look at the green "patch"...and perhaps see what the status of the team is. I was surprised they did not go out and try to bump up into the top 6 today.

Good news (for fans) is we get to watch her on Thursday, I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by glider90 View Post
              Maybe someone on site can get a better look at the green "patch"...and perhaps see what the status of the team is. I was surprised they did not go out and try to bump up into the top 6 today.
              I'm kinda sorta supposed to get clearance from top brass on the team before saying anything but I'll take the risk anyway.. Bear's engine, as stated by the team in the update I copied here a few days ago, is a stocker.. with a slow nose case. She's got boiloff cooling, lots less drag and has had a few teething problems. A gauge that "went to sleep" the other day gave them some moments but was fixed and John went on the course and put in a very slow time yesterday. That was "insurance" and they did plan on going up again today to post a faster time. An issue in the boiloff came up and they did an allnighter to get it taken care of.. so no flight today for faster qual...

John will race her from where he qualified and just have to race more.. Kind of like Critical Mass in 2002 and she wound up second to Dago on Sunday..

The suspense builds!

Ps.. I have no info on any fine tuning via tape on the cone.. it may be something they do but have heard nothing of that nature.
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks Wayne!
                Moving up on Thursday will not be a push over with Riff Raff and SOT aiming to advance as well.
                Last edited by glider90; 09-16-2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I spoke with Mr, Penny this afternoon and he siad yes the tail piece is part of the boil off cooling discharge...

He also said that they were planning on going up again this evening...

and that they were working thru some stuff!

Go Bear!

Comment

its a secret new go fast item...

A Pete Law boil off cooling system for the oil no less. seems to work ok although thats what caused the double mayday during one of his flights.

Comment

This just in from Alby Redick..... Posting it here cause I don't have time to post it to their site tonight...

"The engine off of 232 didn't work out. During disassembly to install the Bear nosecase, we found some issues that we couldn't couldn't live with--Rod quickly pulled the trigger on an engine from Ray Anderson, Anderson Aeromotive, out of Grangeville. They have been awesome and really helpful. After the test cell time, they hustled it down from Idaho. We have spent the time to install the Bear goodies, are hanging the overhauled 4 blade this afternoon and feeling great about our status. The Crew has been coming up, taking time away from jobs and family and have worked their tails off. Charlie Brand at Tuna Graphics is taking care of us as always for Bear Wear and we'll see him and his Dad next week. Right-on Charlie! The girls are busy coordinating, and seeing to all of the organizational issues of the team...they have really pulled off some great planning for our friends, family and crew. Thanks girls! Well, more later, GO BEAR!"
                      Hmmmm.....
                      Wonder what all encompasses those "Bear goodies"? Might not be quite as stock as they lead us to believe.

Comment

Working...
                      X