Problem with RAW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with RAW

So, at PRS I shot the whole last day in RAW. Looked stellar on the screen but, when I dropped them on the 'puter they looked like hell. Super grainy, flat, and near zero color. Those that were out on 4 know exactly what I missed.

Now, I know the camera was filthy so I just had it professionally cleaned. My question is is this, will a dirty dust sensor screw up pics shot in RAW or was it just an ISO setting? Can I expect better results now that it's cleaned?

Hear is an example of my failure shot with Nikon D40X, 200mm, shutter priority of 640, f32 (max aperture f5.6). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Re: Problem with RAW

Hmm, looks much worse on the 'puter. I will be shooting with a 300 this year and once it is done being cleaned, the D200. I'm just concerned with my settings. I guess what I'm looking for is a good baseline setting for shooting ground to air on a sunny day in RAW. Anyone, anyone?

Comment

Maybe it's that Nikon equipment!

Wish I could help, but I've never shot RAW. The Alien should be able to help, among others.

T

Comment

Depending on your RAW settings, you may not have any sharpening, contrast, saturation.... etc, etc, showing in your image until you go in and play with the photo.

If you're happy with what you've gotten in the past with .jpg's and simply want to have the RAW file as a means to have all the information the camera recorded on file, then shoot .jpg and raw combo. The size on disk penalty is not really that great..

Most P&S cameras shoot a much more vibrant and attractive shot out of camera than any RAW I've ever shot with my Nikons.. their computers are pretty good at "averaging" what they see into a good picture. RAW makes you, or lets you (however you want to look at that) do the computing yourself..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

...Fence....took the liberty of tryin' to fix it in PS (hope that's OK)...
          ...a larger original would have worked better...

sledge

Comment

Afternoon,

When a digital camera is set to capture images in RAW, the captured image it stores are straight from the cameras sensor. This means the camera does not perform any processing of the image. Therefore the software on the computer to handle and manipulate RAW images is of the utmost importance. RAW images tend to be vary large files, so you need a lot of storage space to shoot them vs JPEGs.

I find RAW is the way to go if you want the most flexibility in the processing control of your images, but RAW images will never look good straight from the camera unless they are viewed with the appropriate software and then processed with software to bring out the desired final image. I'm not familiar with Nikon, but Canon RAW images contain a JPEG that can be extracted, but a word of caution. The JPEG image will have the settings that were set in the camera at the time the image was taken.

If you are not familiar with RAW image processing I suggest you review the manual and software package that came with your camera and search for information on the Internet.

Willie
            Last edited by Warbird5; 09-12-2009, 03:19 PM.

Comment

If its a Canon, try shooting in Tv mode as you set the shutter speed and the camera does the rest.....

Lynn

Comment

Note that computer monitor settings can affect how photos look on your PC too. Brightness and color settings may differ from that of the cam's screen.

I played with sharpening the edges of sledge39's version and restoring the color a bit...

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-12-2009, 06:35 PM.

Comment

First off, F/32??? That's way past the lens sweet spot. Pylons settings whether it's Nikon or Canon: ISO 100 and leave it there, put camera in shutter priority, start at a shutter speed of 1/250, no faster and work down from there. The camera will select the f/stop, but it will be know where near f/32. The only way you could have gotten a f/stop that stopped down is shooting at high ISO.

I'm here already, so look for the guy with the camo covered Canon 500mm if you have any questions.
                  Last edited by T. Adams; 09-12-2009, 08:21 PM.

Comment

A man once told me, "Closed mouth don't get fed." I love that guy.

Thanks fellas. I truly appreciate all the responses. I will put my newfound knowledge to good use.

Here's a couple from today.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is that Kerch in the Voo Doo pits?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Comment

Got to talk with Tiger and Jr. today. Tiger is a funny guy. Listening to his account of last year's Gold was awesome. Jr. is a cool kid. Talked a bit about his line out on the back of the course. He gets it.

Standing there listening to Kerch & Law talk shop about the specifics on how VooDoo is running...

Blue II is close. He put roughly two more hours on it today. They might actually make it.

The energy this year feels really good. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilnit View Post
                          That's the

Comment

Originally posted by Wilnit View Post
                            Aww geez.. I hate this "secret chit"..

Will somebody be the one to actually let this cat out of the bag? It's race week now after all..

But thanks to those who are "in the know" who didn't say anything....

And I'm not being sarcastic.. folks don't want info put out, we go along with that.. but geez.. it's race week..
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                              ...I played with sharpening the edges of sledge39's version and restoring the color a bit...

...yep....your version definitely looks better...what sharpening method did you use...?

sledge

Comment

Working...
                              X