Reno Air Race Frequency's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno Air Race Frequency's

I am getting ready to program my new portable aircraft radio and was wondering if anyone knows the radio frequency that they use during the Reno Air Races.

Re: Reno Air Race Frequency's

posting of freq's will not be allowed on the board. stuck mike's are to big of a problem already. please only bring scanners to reno.
    bob burns
    ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
    "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Yes, please do not bring any TRANSMITTERS to the races, only receivers.

This question and this very topic pops up in the forum every year. []

Comment

Once you are there it won't be hard to find out but not on this forum. Have fun but use common sense.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by tow-3 View Post
          posting of freq's will not be allowed on the board. stuck mike's are to big of a problem already. please only bring scanners to reno.
          Good call tow-3.Lets us use our heads here.They don't let food or bev. past the gates,they should NEVER LET TRANSMITTERS thru either!!Lets think about pilot safety..

Comment

Does anyone know where to get Frequency's for the blue angles.

Comment

Originally posted by jason View Post
              Does anyone know where to get Frequency's for the blue angles.
              Gosh Jason, that's going to be the same story as race freqs... we could make a lot of folks happy if we published a list of all active show, race and demo team freqs.. but we'd really disappoint a lot of other folks who's lives depend on being able to hear each other and who have always asked us to try to keep this sort of information off the public forum..

Thanks for understanding guys and thanks big time to those of you who do know the freqs for not sharing in public forum..

Nobody's sayin you guys can't listen in.. just don't publish public and be responsible and everything's cool!

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I don't understand why you won't allow public freq's to be posted in this website. They aren't private... You can grab them from an airport facility directory and all over the Internet....
                CFI/CFII/MEI
                www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
                www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted View Post
                  I don't understand why you won't allow public freq's to be posted in this website. They aren't private... You can grab them from an airport facility directory and all over the Internet....
                  Because a long time ago, we were asked not to and have been thanked many times for not doing so. And I don't think the specific freqs that are used at Reno and other shows, or those used by demo teams and others are posted anywhere for the sake of the "stuck mic syndrome".. anyway, we were asked, we complied...

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

While I cant speak for private team freq's. But NOTAMS are released every year on the freq's for show coverage. I dont have private team communication freq's and agree they shouldnt be posted. But the general airshow freq's should be allowed IMO
                    CFI/CFII/MEI
                    www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com

Comment

If the few irresponsible folk who do bring transmitters to the races and interfere with communications didn't do so, then I'm sure we would be told the freqs used, but that's not the case. "A few bad apples...", that's all it takes.

And stopping them at the gates doesn't help, because many use them at their camp sites.

Just do what I do...look for someone in the crowds who's already listening in, and ask them the frequency they are listening in on. But PLEASE, scanners and receivers only. Even the responsible can make mistakes and endanger someone.

Comment

about once an hour...

race control has to do the old "stuck mic" call. for those of us who try to make this event fun and safe its really bad when we can't hear whats going on because of some doofuss...there have been times when we had to do a complete freq. shift. I personally carry 2 radios for air and ground and have a third in my vehicle. most folks don't practice the radio discipline needed in this situation. scanners are fine but 2 way just causes us problems and besides ... scanners are less expensive to buy!

Comment

Re: about once an hour...

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
                          race control has to do the old "stuck mic" call. for those of us who try to make this event fun and safe its really bad when we can't hear whats going on because of some doofuss...there have been times when we had to do a complete freq. shift. I personally carry 2 radios for air and ground and have a third in my vehicle. most folks don't practice the radio discipline needed in this situation. scanners are fine but 2 way just causes us problems and besides ... scanners are less expensive to buy!
                          The problem really lies with pilots who already have a spare 2way radio that they bring to the show.. 99.999% of the crowd at any event only have a receiver, not a 2way... So 99.999% of this discussion is NOT aimed at the fan, who has a Radio Shack, or Sportys, or other mfg scanner, who, only wants to listen to the action as it happens...

The *problem* happens when you have folks who have their emergency/spare 2wy from their airplane with them, they are sitting in the stands monitoring the freqs, they bend over to grab a beer, slap a friend on the shoulder, whatever.. in-short, they are not flying at the moment, so they can not be expected to exercise the same caution which they normally would with said radio, the mic button gets pushed, they flood the freq with the "stuck mic" and.....

We all know the rest of the story.

Inverted, I completely understand where you are coming from but... I hope you can attempt to understand the level and gravity of the problem that happens at Reno.. Probably more so than any other airshow, anywhere. There are a lot of pilots there at RENO, many have their handhelds with them and use them to monitor the active freqs.. sometimes, chit happens and *somehow* a mic button gets pushed... immediate commo has to be preserved... We do our best to help this situation....

So, again, at the risk of being called a "freqNazi".... You will NEVER find said freqs posted here..

*sigh* why do we have to have this *same* discussion, every year, (do a history search) give the same answers, piss off the same people, every year, year after year..... PLEASE.. try to think outside of your own personal box and try to understand why folks ask us to try to make their job easier.... and why at the risk of being critiqued, we agree... OK????
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It has been a few (ten) years scince I have been there,
                            but if my shattered memory servs me the ground freqs are in the official program. (race control,ground control).
                            I never had any problem finding the used freqs,either by scan,
                            or asking another with a scanner what they had.

I fear for the "stuck mike" happening at that "moment" when clear air is most needed,
                            (fractions of a second relly help in a mayday)
                            so if you use a transciever please,please be aware.

(scanners are easier and broader coverage than the transciever in this use anyhow)

Everyone going,
                            Be sure to have a god time,enough to spred to us who cannot be
                            there.

Thanks again for all the updates and sharing folks.
                            Mayday51
                            Jim Gallagher

Comment

I'm not going to post the freq's all I said was that I find it funny to forbid the posting of these freq's which are are public knowledge and readily available. I honestly didn't know everyone felt so stronly about them. Maybe RARA should get with the FAA to get 100% of the freq's used to be special use only. Cause if I remember there were 2 NORCAL Approach freq's used that I could hear everything on...
                              CFI/CFII/MEI
                              www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com

Comment

Working...
                              X