What year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What year?

A little Holiday quiz -- and no I don't know the answer. Fairly recent though.

I hope the link works...

Re: What year?

Seems the link does not quite work. However, if you enter "Reno Stead" in the "address, location, or landmark" box and zoom you get there.

Comment

Very cool link.... I spot Voodoo, September Pops, Argonaut and pardue's Fury out on the active line, and super corsair in the pits.....
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I'm guessing 2007. Duggy is down in the Heritage area, the Two of Hearts is in the T-6 pits and the new hanger next to American Air Racing isn't there.
        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
        My Photos
        My Ride

Comment

Nice one Neal... Looks like the Bear is in her pit, and do I see Jim Wright's Hughes Racer Replica down in heritage???

That certainly would narrow it down.. Question would be then, was Duggy and the Hughes there at the same time??

BTW.. when you coming through?
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Now that I've thought about it a little, 2007 is too late... I'm pretty sure the new hangers were built by then.
            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
            My Photos
            My Ride

Comment

I have been back in Reno for 4 years now, i do not recall a jet being parked across from Bear in that time, and I am pretty sure thats a jet to the left of Bear......no Fury on the pits, Pops seems to be out on the flight line....humm, got me

Comment

Big key/sticker for me Dave is.. isn't that RIGHT where Jim's Hughes was parked down in the Heritage?? I think Robert and Mitch may well have had Duggy there that year.. if so.. that'd make it...... err... all the way back to 2002.. sooo did the Bear race that year???

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm gonna guess 2005 - I think that's the first year Bob brought Super Corsair and did the aerobatic routine, but didn't race. If he were racing, wouldn't he be parked in the pits rather than in Heritage next to Duggy?
                  Oh yeah, did ya'll notice the Fouga parked down next to the pit entry gate where it used to be for several years?

Comment

Hmm, it was a year Rhino was there with Bad Attitude, no Risky Business and The Healer wasnt purchased at that point either as she wasnt there...
                    Randy Rheinschild
                    www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

at least 4 maybe 5

its been that long since we moved the jets to the east end.

Comment

So what day of the week is it. Looks like late morning. Maybe Tues. or Wednesday. Speedball is in the air near rwy 14.

Comment

This picture is from 2004 !
                          My PT Cruiser rental and my friends Truck are visible on the St. Michael's camping lot. Early in the week, Sunday or Monday !

Comment

Definitely not 2007, not with all those vehicles parked out at the fenceline.

Judging by the small number of campers I see out there and the lack of military displays on the right end of the hardtop, it would have to be somewhat early in the race week too.

Comment

I say Tuesday, 2005.

Sept Pops is painted yellow which 2005 was the debut of that (2004 she was blue). The hangars to the north of American Air Racing are not there which they were in 2007. That leaves us with either 2005 or 2006. But the old "house" to the north of American Air Racing (under the tree) is there and it was gone the year before the new hangars (2006). All lead me to conclude it was 2005.

Also, I believe Crusader is on the ramp, the most west Unlim. Crusader did not race in 2006.

As for the day, given the relative emptiness of the pits and that the Unlimiteds are out with Spirit of Texas in the pit "lane", I'd say it is the 1st Unlim qualifying session. This also matches that the shadows are on the west side of the buildings which would mean the sun is still in the eastern half of the sky. Since Hoppy's motor-home is there, and I don't think he would be their early enough for the 1st Monday session, I say it is Tuesday.
                              Last edited by W J Pearce; 09-06-2009, 11:29 AM.
                              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
                              X