From the FAA (Yes, that one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the FAA (Yes, that one)

A reasonably accurate and interesting article about the Reno Air Races appears in the Sep/Oct FAA Aviation News:

Re: From the FAA (Yes, that one)

I didn't realize that there's a speed LIMIT in racing. Not that I think we're going to see an unlimited push the 550 mark too soon, although the jet class sure is speeding up quickly, what would it take to open up that limit a bit? Would the course have to be redesigned and approved (obviously) by the FAA? Does each course have a limit?

Very interesting article. Thanks for the link, Skyracer!

Comment

Originally posted by mrcraigarcher View Post
      what would it take to open up that limit a bit?
      Probably a different venue. I don't think the current boundaries at Stead would allow sufficient redesign.
      F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

You gotta like the cover of that magazine...

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
          You gotta like the cover of that magazine...
          http://www.faa.gov/news/aviation_new...SepOct2009.pdf
          Actually, the fact that an "official" government publication acknowledges the races, as this one does, particularly when this is the publication for the actual, F freaking A A.... Considering that we're in an era of political change (P-L-E-A-S-E this is not an invitation to start a political discussion!) this is probably a very good thing!

Racing is part of human heritage. I'm reasonably certain that cave men raced in some form or other.. it just speaks to something inside of all of us. That we are able to continue racing in the sky some 100 years after the very first air race is simply incredible! May we do so for another 100 and beyond!

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

They raced against anything that thought they looked tasty! Winner got to pass on their genes.
            I like the jets now that there is a little more variety and competition. Has anyone else noticed that with the higher speeds they are running the turn around 8 onto the front straightaway just seems scary? I can't describe it but I get a huge pucker factor when the leaders round it, and this after many years of watching.
            Last edited by Leo; 09-04-2009, 09:34 AM.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
            X