WILDCAT CHECK FLIGHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WILDCAT CHECK FLIGHT

One of the memorable 'uplifting' moments of last year's Reno '08 NCAR, was watching young Steven Hinton, Jr.'s sunset check flight takeoff Thurs. evening (9/11/08)- flying Tom Camp's Grumman FM-2 Wildcat - Race#2 Air Biscuit.

A grinning ramprat buddy spontaneously clued me what was transpiring just then, w/a nudge & finger-point at the climbing Cat flying into the soft pastel sky. I watched transfixed, (along w/everyone else there out on the settled-down Stead Field ramp) -enjoying the sight of seeing Stevo in the cockpit (w/canopy slid back open) & the sound of the chugging vintage radial at work. There was a genuine feeling of witnessing 'history in the making' & coming full-circle at the same time - recalling & replaying the original WW2-Era scenario, when guys his age were training back then to fly & fight for Freedom.

I was done taking pictures for the day, and was able to simply savor the brief, but special, experience. But it was so neat- afterwards, I regretted not having a picture to remember it by. Fortunately, my daughter- Destiny, was paying attention too & was on the shot. Here's a couple of her pics to share... (Thx, DD!).

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 08-29-2009, 12:30 PM.

Re: WILDCAT CHECK FLIGHT

Thanks for bring back a good memory of Reno 2008.

Willie

Comment

Thanks for sharing the momment and the photos. There is something poetic in a "next" generation photographer capturing the next generation air racer. Great job Destiny, look foward to seeing more of your work.

Frank

Comment

Lookout Dad, she looks like another one of the younger group doing a great job. We are lucky to have parents like you to pass on the world of aviation for all of us to enjoy.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Warbird5 View Post
          Thanks for bring back a good memory of Reno 2008.

Willie
          That you Willie? spaghetti...the older cuter one.

Comment

Originally posted by spinner View Post
            That you Willie? spaghetti...the older cuter one.
            It's me Spaghetti. I'll be on the ramp in the pits of Race 2.

Willie

Comment

C uh in 2 weeks kid.

Comment

Working...
              X