Military Demo "music"???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Demo "music"???

Ok yes I know I'm getting older, and I've been attending Reno every year now since 1983 . . .And maybe it is only because I'm getting older, Maybe it really is just me, I just want to know . . .Is the choreographed sound to the military demonstrations getting much much louder and much more aggressive?

I found the last couple years I’d rather leave the stands when they come up to fly than watch them ONLY because the “music” is so darn annoying. I suppose this is how the old-er timers felt when shows started choreographing with rock and roll. All I know is except for the Snowbirds I no longer care for the volume and aggression of the “music”. Which is not only louder, but also much harsher than the sound of the jets! I know it’s geared for the younger “recruit” age crowd of local air shows . . .

Reminds me of a certain song: "And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill... (edited) ..KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
    yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
    sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

I just wish they could at least turn down the volume at Reno. I’ll take the roar of the jet engines any day over the sound of their most modern “music”
    OK oK enough from this old timer hehe. Just give me some good old fashion photo finish air racing . . . . So so ready for my Reno Air Races This Year!
    What part of 'Air Race FAN-atic' do you not understand?
    Like the chips - You can't attend just one!

Re: Military Demo "music"???

I agree. I enjoy that kind of music too. I love to "Bang my Head" I wish I still had enough hair to throw all around like some of the 80's rock stars.....
    But I have to admit the Air Force in particular has a very offensive volume level, as part of there "show". And I really don't care for the Thunderbirds... anouncer's volume level inter woven with thier loud ass music....

I like what they bring to the show...the top aviators in the World flying some awesome aircraft...that's great....but turn it down!

I know they probably sit around with the whole Thuderbird staff and ....I can see how they think this stuff up in a big room somewhere, and the hot shot pilots (who are great, lets not take that away) all probably love the music and the "show" and how that all interplays all that for recruiting kids and re-enforces a Young image........yeah yeah yeah...

But the music in the stands, the scripted announcing they do as part of the show....really is obnoxious. and for me has always been something I had to endure...so I could see the show up close....

And I know they bring the same show to Reno...that they bring to every other show they do around the world....and it's just easier....but I really wish they would tone it down for Reno anyway...

And it's possible....that they might even listen....As far as I know...they let go their requirement to be the Last and Final Air act at the Airshow...like they always have..everywhere else....so hey, maybe their listeneing....

Comment

Originally posted by bajadreamers View Post

Reminds me of a certain song: "And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill... (edited) ..KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
      yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargeant came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant... except for them to turn the music down.

Don

Comment

I share yor view completely. I have been going every year since 99, and I try to bring a newby or two with me each time I show up. I think that would classify me as an important fan. Or at least the type of fan that the races depend on to keep it viable for years to come.

If and when I stop coming to Reno it will be because of this one issue. The volume is too loud. I am in a front row box seat and it is torture. I should not have to wear ear plugs, but I do. I am sure it is above legal levels. My ears ring for a day or so with out the plugs.
        I would gladly tolerate the announcers and music if the volume would come down enough to actually visit with my fellow race fans during the races and shows. But it just is not possible with the current sound levels.

Steve

Comment

It does seem louder than it once was. But it was loud back then in the 80's too. Maybe it's the choice and/or quality of music that grates.

I use to enjoy the easy-going background music while the Canadian Snowbirds did their ballet-in-the-sky, though I play back my home-made videotape from 1984 and it DOES seem to be fairly loud on the recording.

...and we didn't have to suffer the annoyingly-overplayed "Top Gun" theme until the end of the 80's (the movie didn't come out until 1986, heh-heh). Even at that, it was only played during F-14 displays in those days, and only ONCE.

The quality of the P.A. system has a lot to do with it too, I've noticed (I'm a bit of an audiophile, you see...)

The audio coming from those vocal-range-optimized P.A. speakers is harsh and tinny when music material is sent through them, and it makes me wince whenever they TRY to reproduce good music at high volumes.

I bet if the R.A.R.A. could borrow Pink Floyd's outdoor sound-system for just ONE season, you'd be snapping your fingers and stomping your feet in time to whatever was heard through them, even, God-forbid, Kenny Loggins' DANGER ZONE...

But PLEASE, REGARDLESS of all this, the MOMENT any warbird's propeller starts to turn, put away the CD's ad tapes until all props have stopped again. We wanna hear PISTONS, not percussions...

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-28-2009, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I think the music sounds great from the Sani-Huts, or the pits, or the static display, or the food vendors, or any of the other places I am when that stuff s playing

Comment

Nooooooooooo! Not "Danger Zone"!
              The ONE positive thing about the F-14 retiring was NOT having to hear that song!
              It's not all bad. Lefty used to have some great classical music for his routine.
              Last edited by Leo; 08-28-2009, 05:10 PM.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                I think the music sounds great from the Sani-Huts, or the pits, or the static display, or the food vendors, or any of the other places I am when that stuff s playing
                I agree that behind the grand stands it's not so bad. You can talk without yelling in each others ear.

Comment

Pink Floyd's sound system?????

Welcome, my son, welcome to the MACHINES!!!! (Round, V12, etc....)

Sorry, just had to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldawg66 View Post
                    Pink Floyd's sound system?????

Welcome, my son, welcome to the MACHINES!!!! (Round, V12, etc....)

Sorry, just had to do that.
                    I may not be making it to Stead this year, so when you get there, have them play "Wish You Were Here"...

Comment

Baja, I am in complete agreement with you, but as my cousin the shrink would say, I am just an old foggy and this is a generational thing, like women covering themselves with tatoos and piercings, and kids texting during the final race. Maybe the Snowbird music guy is our age.

Chris who liked it when the T-birds played "The Right Stuff" and when the solo pilot caught up to the formation at show center, he at speed and they dirty, they played the theme from "Superman"

No acid rock, please.

Comment

Chris,

You know I'm younger than you so I have not chronologically reached old fogy status yet (tempermentally maybe), but I agree with you on the Snowbirds music.

It's not only the choice of music for their performance, but it's the fact that they let the music play and aren't abruptly "channel changing" it. Granted, they're not a high energy act, but they do show a great deal of class in the overall program.

It drives me nuts with the other teams' apparent Attention Deficit Disorder with their music selection. Play the Foo Fighters and other acts, just turn the volume down a notch and stick with you music cues just a little bit longer, please.

Comment

It will be good to see you, Buddy! Yeah, I hate the MTV three second scene cuts and yes, us old foggys are like that....maybe I will have to watch the Blues from the Military area...I get closer there anyway...

(I talked with Robert S. today...he is still working on a disc of his 2007 Reno shots....he is hopeless....the only reason I camp with him is cause his trailer keeps the wind from blowing my motorcycle over!

Comment

As much as I like the TBirds, the soundtrack was 'over the top'.

It was way too loud. The 'snippets' of tracks bombarded you.

All this coming from a rock drummer that likes to have his ears bleed with most classic rock.

If you have experienced a PF concert, there is no better sound system.

Gary 'Freebird'

Comment

Working...
                            X