Promoting Reno on Flight Line Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting Reno on Flight Line Radio

I just popped back on the board for the first time in 3-4 days and found lots of great stuff here as always. Then it struck me - I'm a big fan, but I'm not near well enough versed to promote this sport like some of you folks are.

I do a daily spot on Flight Line Radio. I've already shared some of the great nuggets of information that you guys post here (with proper credit I might add) in the past. What would you like the average guy that is contemplating coming to Reno to know? What are some of your favorite stories to share while you are in the stands talking to a new fan? I'd like to share one or two of these each day between now and the races (maybe even pre-record a few to run independent of the news spot at the top of the hour - I'll have to talk to the producers about that one).

Any takers? PM me - or post the link to your favorite thread. If it's already posted, just tell me what to search (I've had lots of fun searching this forum). I don't want to share MY favorites....I want to share YOUR favorites! Thanks in advance!

I'm sharing John Slack's nugget about the 3km world speed record in today's spot. I've shared my joy in watching Lefty Gardner's White Lightnin' grace the skies, and about my joy in watching Bob Hoover's yellow P-51 when I was a kid. I still have trouble describing to people what it feels like to hear the Unlimiteds come over Peavine for that first lap.

See you at the Races!
    Mike S
    www.indyairshow.com
    www.indytransponder.com

Re: Promoting Reno on Flight Line Radio

First tyime i went out i went with the Ice family, Clyde being the oldest out of the group and was one of the origional Barnstormers. (They had a Clyde Ice day at the races awhile back but i was 400 feet under water at the time) Me being 8, Clyde being over 100, I sat next to his chair all day listening to him talk about flying and he was by far the coolest guy i had ever met. Anyways the group we went with always bet on the races, drop the tail number in a hat, then we each drew a number (only way to do it given we were all rooting for Lyle.) Last race was the big money, 20 buyin, and sure enough Clyde and me got the same plane, Dreadnought. Bummed that I had zero chance to win, all the sudden one plane drops out, then another, then another, before ya know it Dreadnought was free and clear and the oldest and youngest guy walked away with like 150 bucks a piece....needless to say they called my lucky ever since.

Anyways, that is the best part about Reno, just meeting people who all love the sport, and will discuss it with you for hours on end. Given thats how i got into the sport to begin with, I always try and talk with the new folks when i hear them on the line, like a family secret being passed down to the next generation. Yes the planes are one of the coolest things I have ever seen, but in the end the people make the event and thats what gets me out there for the week.

Comment

Second that Dave
      I always tell people that they need to attend the races at least once just to experience the sounds of it all. But it is the people that do a lot to make the experience what it is- ask one of the pilots for an autograph or to answer a question and they always end up thanking YOU for coming out to support them.
      One of the entrants in last years' RR Heritage Invitational was letting children sit in his Travel Air, and yes- I was one of the "big" kids that jumped at the chance.
      Have made many great friends at the races and looking forward to seeing them again this year and meeting some new ones
      Russ
      Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Your going to be there Mike? Cool! I hope we run into each other.

Evan
        http://evanflys.com/

Comment

Yea, the sounds are a close second to the people for sure.......my addicted $ss has the bear fly by as an email sound, so I am 100% with you on that one.

Comment

@Evan - Yes, I'm going to be there Fri through Sun this year. I'm a little short on vacation time due to some family stuff earlier this year, but at least I get to be there. (I'm still pouting about not being there the whole week).

@Dave and Russ - I appreciate you guys sharing. We'll use what you've shared for the weekend edition!
            Mike S
            www.indyairshow.com
            www.indytransponder.com

Comment

I hear it this morning Mike - sounded great!

Evan
              http://evanflys.com/

Comment

Working...
              X