News from Ione

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News from Ione

While my honey and I were off touring the Sierra we stopped (how could we not?) at Eagles Nest to visit the Sanders Brothers yesterday 8-26. Just as we arrived the Buick was running up and blowing just a little smoke. Argonaut was being fueled. Dennis walked up and welcomed us while still sitting on the bike and offered to show us his newly completed N3N. Wow what a beauty. He is always a generous host even for the unexpected visitor. On the way back from the second hangar he shared the disappointment of the new 4360 failure. An older motor was transplanted and now being tested. Both planes were fueled and took off for a little temp testing. Both flew by in formation at speed - twice - giving goose bumps to all present. What a nice serendipitous gift! Later in the hanger Al Loving showed me the fully dismantled Furias. He said that nobody had known just how much corrosion there was until they started to make racing mods. Many mods are in the works which were not revealed. Sandy Sanders, the Voice of Air Racing, was his usual vigorous self sounding knowledgeable and ready to announce the races this year. We all still miss his vast knowledge and vitality.
    Say, is it race week yet?

Re: News from Ione

So is everything good with the "new" old 4360 in Dread? Lookin' forward to seeing both planes in Reno!
    Last edited by t-dub; 08-26-2009, 11:45 AM.
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

So, is Sandy coming back to announce the races??? He was awesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilnit View Post
        So, is Sandy coming back to announce the races??? He was awesome!!!
        Sadly, I don't think that's in the cards...

I'll never forget the job Sandy did at the Tunica Air Races! He knew he had a "virgin" crowd and he really REALLY gave the history during his "banter"...

Hell of a guy, one of my favorite people!

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Jeez, what I'd give to have him back over the guys who are doing it now. The announcing during the Unlimited races makes my teeth grind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
            Jeez, what I'd give to have him back over the guys who are doing it now. The announcing during the Unlimited races makes my teeth grind.
            100% agree'd
            "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I've heard several versions of the "why" he's not there any longer.. I do know that Sandy has told me that he'd love to do it again.

Personally, though he was no Sandy Sanders, I liked GBJ when he had his time there.. I personally like Frank K. Smith and Steve Straver..ahh.. Stavrakaowski...(close?).. but I'll go out on a limb and would tell him this to his face (may have already) FKS likes the sound of his own voice a bit too much for my tastes as an air race announcer..

I don't think Sandy has that many years left on this planet.. he's a cancer survivor... I think it would be wonderful if we could get him back.. but, whatever the story may be, from what I've heard, it's not likely...

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

At the North American Aviation event at the Warhawk Air Museum this summer...

Comment

And at last year's Warlock party
                  Attached Files

Comment

can you say SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO THE AIRPLANES...
                    Todd Smith

Comment

One of the nice perks of being on an Unlimited Air Race crew is not being able to hear the announcer's in the pits. Or, I just tune them out. Bring back Sandy Sanders !!!!

Hawkeye

Comment

I am familiar with the current announcers -- it seems that they have been there for awhile. When was the last time Sandy Sanders was announcing?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan View Post
                          can you say SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO THE AIRPLANES...
                          That's what i'm talkin about, and turn that frikin music off while you're at it
                          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by sierra fox View Post
                            That's what i'm talkin about, and turn that frikin music off while you're at it
                            seriously the guy that does the music must get his music from the free selection cause its mostly crap! and he is probably stone deaf, cause its way to loud! i feel sorry for the people that are in those box seats up front
                            Todd Smith

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan View Post
                              seriously the guy that does the music must get his music from the free selection cause its mostly crap! and he is probably stone deaf, cause its way to loud! i feel sorry for the people that are in those box seats up front
                              You got your ears open, cant even shoot video anymore, i just dont care to have my air racing video's polluted MTV style!!

Comment

Working...
                              X